Do you enjoy "Mature" stories more in video games?

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you enjoy "Mature" stories more in video games? (23 votes)

Yes 43%
No 17%
I don't understand the question 30%
neither 9%

• 
Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mature can mean whatever you consider "Adult" Maybe think PG vs PG-13.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted yes but it's not like i want to be subjected to war and torture all the time, sometimes i want to platform on rainbows but that being said those games don't tend to have much of a story, so a deep child friendly story would be something like.... Pokemon i suppose... Zelda... yeah i tend to prefer mature stories.

I'll take a Witcher over a Zelda.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Yes, but you have to say it like muh-tewer stories.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThePanzini

I'd much prefer a Last of Us over say Mario & Zelda.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, generally i like emotionally complex/challenging stuff. it isn't required obviously, but that tends to lean towards the more 'mature' end of the spectrum.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepanzini: Yeah, but would you take 'Homefront: The Revolution' over Mario / Zelda?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ben_H

I like a mix. A game like Yakuza 0 is the perfect example. The main storyline is extremely serious and tense, but there's enough lighthearted or fun stuff in the game to stop it from being too unpleasant. Persona games also fit this mould. As does Life is Strange, another game that's probably one of my favourites.

Games that are straight up miserable like The Last of Us I have no interest in. I don't need that in my life. I already have enough of my own stuff to deal with. I tried playing the first one and bounced off it hard about two-thirds of the way through. Some people seem to revel in that kind of thing though (see the millions of people who love true crime podcasts which are something I have absolutely no stomach for) so to each their own.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd direct you to my Steam page to see all the mature stories I enjoy but they're all hidden at the moment.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AtheistPreacher

@ben_h: I have been known to on occasion like what I'll call "miserycore" stories (I Googled this term just now and actually it's a metal band, because of course it is), but in general, yeah, I like some light-hearted leavening in the middle. Two of the three examples you cite are Japanese, and in fact the Japanese seem better at this than western developers. Such tonal shifts can come off as weird/inconsistent, but nonetheless I've come to appreciate such nonsense more as I've gotten older. Yes, please give me some comedic absurdity in the middle of your Deeply Serious and Significant story, I'll think better of you. Otherwise it can just get exhausting.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mach_go_go_go: I had more fun with Homefront Revolution than Breath of the Wild despite the former being a much worse game. A lot of Nintendo games have enough story to get the ball rolling but not much else, I've often found them had to get invested in.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h: I don't think my intention was to make mature = vile stories you have to get through. Lol. I'm exaggerating but yeah mature just means that...mature. People have discussed it forever so I don't really need to go into it. I'm trying to limit explaining since it seems people like that more. Overall, I liked your response anyway. :)

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Topcyclist

@atheistpreacher: Good point, I assume for the most part in our society it's frowned upon to get "really" crazy when it comes to the idea of "mature" material. For this question I left it open ended due to over explaining in the past and my language barrier. Still even mature in the west or east can mean a lot different. So It's interesting to see the poll results.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepanzini: That's surprising given most love zelda. I guess Jeff didn't like zelda, or at least didnt like it like others. I personally am with him and think its a great set of games. Maybe i'm selling it short, i like the games and don't see flaws in them like others. They all seem like mechanics thought out for a reason even if their not fun for now they make sense if you buy into them. But I only played a few and never beat any (supposedly). But I agree I love a good story and zelda is a decent one but not all there if you want something more. If you dive deep it is pretty good though. (for someone who never beat them, allegedly, I have)

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chamurai:

@chamurai said:

I'd direct you to my Steam page to see all the mature stories I enjoy but they're all hidden at the moment.

UGH...disgusting, post it here so people know how awful you are...please...you...vile...

link here....

XD