Call of Duty to skip its 2023 release.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

That seems like a big deal. Wonder if it's related to the acquisition? I mean, Warzone and COD Mobile are still raking in cash so I can't imagine that anyone's super worried about this, but it is a bit odd. COD is up there with the NBA and NFL games as being a touchstone yearly release.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

They need to take a break and actually think about where they want to take the series in their next game. They also need to the time to make a good one without any deadlines holding their creative vision back. I still say a full on AAA Zombies game would be a hit. But this is just one man's opinion.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@av_gamer: I'm really curious! I mean this one is obviously well into production if it was supposed to be out in 18 months or so.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Did they decide to let everyone play as russian soldiers and then opened a news tab?

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

They can take as many years as they want, unless they fundamentally change the matchmaking system that was introduced in Modern Warfare 2019 I won't be returning to the series.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strathy

There was probably two options on the table:

Option A: Rush it out this year to try and pull out of the Vanguard nose-dive ASAP

Option B: Just eat the whole foot-long with Vanguard and come out with a better game next year.

I think option B is the more future proof choice. Three bad Call of Duty's in a row would be a Bioware level reputation killer.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

For some reason, this is a bigger shock to me than either Sony or Microsoft's recent acquisitions.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Let's see how will this coming up installment of Call of Duty is going to be.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Activision likely won't have to appease current shareholders in the last two quarters of 2023 due to the Microsoft acquisition so they have no pressure to schedule big game launches for Q3 and Q4 of 2023.

Releasing a new game every year is really unhealthy for a multiplayer game like Call of Duty. Imagine how vibrant the franchise could be if all the people currently playing Modern Warfare, Black Ops and Vanguard were instead playing one single game. Or instead, imagine how weird the concept of releasing a new Counter-Strike or Overwatch every year would be.

zinkn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a good thing.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'll be honest I think the Treyarch games are some of the worst in the past 12 years. My favoriet develper of CoD has been Sledgehammer Games. Hell, out of Infinity Ward, Treyarch and Sledgehammer; I still thunk only Sledgehammer does it right.

In't it long over due that the entire CoD congromaterion of games be sorted and separted? CoD, Zombie Mode, and Warzone shoudl all be seeparta games...hell that sound like a good way to make more money anyway.

Kyary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kyary

For the first time in literally a decade, news about call of duty has made me more interested in an upcoming call of duty

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not really surprised considering this is something they should have done at least once a LONG time ago.
I wonder if this pushes future titles around as well, it would be silly if this one came out and then the next one came 6 months later so everyone should be getting extra time.

Also something does need to happen at Treyarch, they were making my favourite entires in the franchise up to Black Ops 3, but 4 and Cold War were so disappointing to me, so we'll see what this does for them.