Buying too many games...?

EdsXwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By EdsXwing

Have any of you ever got in that weird place were you have just purchased too many games, or you know you are doing it and you continue anyway? What do you do to stem this problem if you think it's a problem? How do you know if you're a video game purchasing addict lol? I sometimes feel like I buy too many games, but I figure whatever, as long as all other bills and obligations are taken care of first. Any opinions? I obviously have not found a good way to stem this... although Game Fly did cut it down a little I guess.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

I have been there and what I did was stop. It's really not that difficult.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By elyk247

All I have to do is look at the receipts. That pretty much stops me then and there.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

I blame Steam. I feel like I have far too many games in my Steam backlog now =( I'm sure there's a bunch of games in my Steam library that I'll never even start playing.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By yevinorion

Yeah, I did this too. Now I basically set myself a limit of games I can buy in a calendar year and prioritize what's coming out around that.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Twisted_Scot

I usualy just stockpile the one I really want and play them in sequence. I recently started a steam account and although my laptop could have been given to me Moses Ive found myslef being sucking into buying things already. Terraria for $5, how could I say no?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By nintendoeats

Given that I am real close to reaching 1000, I don't see much point in stopping now. I was pretty much down the rabbit hole the moment I found a Game Gear at Value Village.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

I don't know the meaning of "buying too many games" .. Except when I reach the point where my bank account is almost empty and I can't buy more games :(

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emergency

All I know is that during october/november the amount of games I buy is going to be sickening.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By metalmoog

Yep definitely been there. I used to buy at least 3 brand new $60 games every month. If I was single and still living at home that would be no problem, but now that I have a family and many financial and parental responsibilities and commitments my gaming addiction had to give. 

Taka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Taka

I think thats a problem that comes with getting a job, more money and less time to play.

You still have the urge to play alot of games and now can actually afford it...but you dont have the time anymore.

If you get the urge to buy a game, wait at least 24h before actually buying it. Within that timeframe your rational mind will tell you if you really want that game. But thats an advice only for people with the ability to restrain oneself.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By droop

Oh man you have no idea. My back catalogue of console games is piling up, and I have so many unplayed games on Steam as well.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

Self restraint. I buy a ton of games I have little time to play, but those are all games that are super cheap (mostly Steam sales) and games I will someday play, even if that someday comes years from now. I never have to worry about being bored again. 

When one can buy 6 amazing games for the standard price of a single new game, you shouldn't be as worried about owning a crap-ton of games.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By agent9149

...yes i buy alot of games, but before i buy them i do history on them and i know i am going to play it and enjoy it, that way i know that i am not wasting my money

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By unchained

From August 23rd until the end of November...It's going to really cost me this year.

• Deus Ex - $45
  • Space Marine - $60
  • God of War Origins - $40
  • Gears 3 Epic Edition - $150
  • Dark Souls - $60
  • Rage - $60
  • Cursed Crusade - $40
  • Batman Arkham City CE - $100
  • Battlefield 3 - $60
  • Uncharted 3 CE - $100
  • Lord of the Rings: War in the North CE - $140
  • Skyrim CE (PC) - $150
  • Skyrim (360) - $60
  • Assassin's Creed: Revelations - $60

Total: $1125

Ouch. That's not including taxes and those prices are approximates. I've already whittled down my list a bit, and I'm still not including Diablo III (collector's edition, of course) if it gets released this year. That would add another $100+, I'm sure.

To some it may seem like too many games, but I am really looking forward to all of these and will gladly (well...grudgingly) fork over the cash to play them as soon as possible. Also I like collector's editions. Most of these game will last me into 2012 quite some ways - likely until Mass Effect 3, Kingdoms of Amalur, or Bioshock Infinite is released.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Branthog

Not counting building gaming rigs (only counting games, subscriptions, consoles) I easily spend $5,000 to $10,000 on gaming every year -- even though I am lucky to average finishing one game a month. (I've been trying harder to complete more games though and am closing in on two games a month).

It's a little overboard and it's a bit of an addiction, I'll admit. Like someone else mentioned about themselves in another thread, I feel a bit like Imelda Marcos.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RaikohBlade

I used to buy a lot of games, but not anymore. I decided to settle down and focus on a few games instead of trying to play so many games. It's worked very well so far, and my taste in gaming has changed. I no longer have the desire to play 99% of the games on the market. If I don't really want to play something, it essentially becomes a waste of time.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ninjakiller

It's all I do. I have a stack of pc + PS3 games and 50-60% of them I've played maybe an hour of, some I haven't even opened. It's a damn disease.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I buy several games per week, and rarely finish more than one per week. I have a Steam back catalog of over 400 games, and a combined console back catalog of probably 100 games. Between now and the end of the year I have almost 30 games preordered.

So yes, I have that problem.

EdsXwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EdsXwing

Kinda glad to see that I'm not in this alone lol. Just kinda feel that I'm missing out if I don't get that next game. I do try to finish all the stuff I buy, except for Steam... I've never met anyone with Steam that doesn't have a billion unplayed games from sales. I would love to train myself to be able to wait til like 6-9 months after a game is released so I could get it for $20 or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have too many games and nothing to play.

The only games I actually have a desire to play at the moment are Bastion and Deus Ex 3, but neither unlock for a while.

Saying that, I'd play a ton of stuff from XBLA, but I can't remember my credit card details...

Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Xdsk

Yep, im a sucker for buying games. Even if i dont really want them, its like an addiction.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go through stages of doing so

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By James_ex_machina

Yes. I got so caught up in the deals/price drops/ and clearance stuff posted on cheapassgamer that I spent more time hunting down and buying deals then playing the damn games. I have 63 xbox games. Half aren't even opened. I just couldn't say no to buying a $10 to $20 game on clearance. I bought MW2 the hardened edition at Target for $17 and change. It was only 2 months after release. I've never played it. I intend to... someday. Sometimes when I'm in the mood to do some gaming I'll spend 20 minutes picking a game. It took me awhile to realize how stupid I was being. I still check for the deals but normally walk away and tell a friend.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Hizang

I always do that, I own both Assassins Creed 2 and Assassins Creed Brotherhood still in the wrapping. I've also only just took the seal off of Bioshock..

Lenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lenny

Yeah, it's a dangerous business buying too many at once. It's all to easy to never really give anything a fair chance, great games can end up half completed. I try and restrict myself to two games on the go at any one time these days.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By matthew

As much as I'm shaking my head reading some of these Ci. Fessions, and I do have to place must here. Unfortunately i've just been bitten by the steam bug. The I spent 140$ or so buying the thq and square packs... And I've yet to really even download any.
I only have a ps3, so i can't go hog wild on that front, and but i haven't even finished/started darksiders, and red dead redemption, mass effect 2...

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By williamhenry

After reading this thread, it makes me so happy to be cheap. I'm lucky if I buy one new retail game a year.

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I used to do that with PS3 games and PS4 games.