Amazon Prime members no longer save on new releases?

atomicfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hey, does anyone know if Amazon officially killed the 20% discount on physical copies of new release video games? You used to get a discount on pre-orders and new games for I think the first 2 weeks from their release. Now I can only find verbiage that details the savings on pre-orders. It's a bummer if they killed this. I liked being able to read some reviews or watch a Quick Look before I bought.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

I believe they killed it on special editions and such and physical toy goods like Amibos. Just lookd up Death Stranding and it gives me the $48 price tag.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

It's still exists. Why do you think it doesn't? I'm looking at it giving me the discount on the new Uncharted game right now if I wanted to buy it.

atomicfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By atomicfox

I still see the discount on pre-orders but not new games. When they first rolled this out I believe the discount was on pre-orders and recent releases. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is still a pre-order so I see the discount there. If I go to Agents of Mayhem, which was released today, the price is $59.99.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@artisanbreads: @liquiddragon: OP is talking about new releases - buying them within the two week period of their release. You both just gave examples of pre-orders.

@atomicfox - I'm not a prime member, but looking at their offers for signing up for one it looks like the discount only exists for pre-orders now.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I just checked Agents of Mayhem, since it's the first physical new release I could think of, and it's listed as full price. So yeah, it would seem that the 20% discount only applies to pre-orders now, not new releases.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like they reduced it in Canada from 20% to 10%, bummer. Very little reason for me to keep my Amazon Prime account now.

Avatar image for deactivated-647f76b346730
deactivated-647f76b346730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. I bought a new game (release within past 2 weeks) yesterday and got the discount. It does appear to be gone now. That's weird. I guess I will stick with GCU at Best Buy.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: @atomicfox: Oops sry, OP, you are right. In terms of new release discounts, it's currently all about the Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked (GCU). It's $30 for 2 years and it's 20% off new games, no 2 weeks limit and 10% off pre-orders.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

That's too bad about the discount, but if sales follow the reviews of Agents it will be cheap soon. Might be a decent B-game at $20-$30.

atomicfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Bummer. I was hoping it would at least be on par with the last few Saints Row games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomicfox: I think a lot of the writing team that worked on SR 3 & 4 left. From reviews it sounds like the writing is a cheap imitation of Saints stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: according to Best Buy when does a game stop being "new"?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: don't quote me on this but I think it's literally new games, not used games 'cause they sell those too.

@captubaplayer: that's what I thought but that's not what the site says.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe I read about this happening a while back.

Sucks though, my Amazon Prime membership gets more expensive yet lose benefits.

I don't buy physical game much so this really does not affect me tooooooo much, however one thing I've noticed Amazon doing now does really get under my skin. They are pushing their Prime digital movies hard now rather than wanting you to buy a physical bluray. This started with Star Wars: Rogue One... I wanted to preorder that bluray. They USED to always have upcoming blurays available to preorder, but that one was only their Prime digital version. Now I've noticed on most movies it's that way.

But whatever, times change.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: So 3 new game purchases a year and your above breaking even; seems worth it. I'm a mix between digital and physical, but I have to say I prefer physical--aside from on my switch, which ironically has the least amount of space.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Actually double checked. It says 10% on Pre-Owned. Doesn't even mention pre-orders, which unless they change something, will still fall under the 20% as it always has. No biggy either way, but I enjoy my GCU and take advantage so just like to be clear. Have a great one :)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By liquiddragon

@sloppydetective: Yeah, well it's 2 years so I guess less than that? It's a terrific deal that's for sure going to be adjusted in no time.

@captubaplayer: Yikes, I'm having a terrible morning. Misread. I stand corrected AGAIN.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: I could use another subscription service in my life. I may just sign up for this thing. Thx for the info

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: literally just signed up. Gonna get that discount on Rabbids

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#24  Edited By wwfundertaker

At least you get a decent discount. Amazon UK gives you a £2 discount thats all.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Welp, time to sign up for that Bestbuy Membership then. Times like this make me wish they were convenient alternatives especially for just more general stuff. I've had enough problems with Amazon over the past year that I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp, time to sign up for that Bestbuy Membership then. Times like this make me wish they were convenient alternatives especially for just more general stuff. I've had enough problems with Amazon over the past year that I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

I'm with you. I am trying to buy elsewhere lately. For someone who doesn't drive, Amazon is just very convenient to buying anything I need and I use my sisters Prime membership. But lately I like giving them money less and less.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to say it was always just pre-orders officially and they extend that out for some games but not all, like last year i couldn't get 2k17 at a discount even though it was only out for a couple days.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't normally do this, but I pre-ordered Mario & Rabbids and Mario Odyssey just a week ago, got the normal 20% discount. Weird convenient timing by me. What isn't convenient is how Amazon Canada can just do this without any sort of repercussions. I renewed my subscription back in April assuming I'd be getting the 20% discount all year, and now it's down to 10%. No warning, no messaging, just randomly dropping the discount. What the fuck.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haz said:

Looks like they reduced it in Canada from 20% to 10%, bummer. Very little reason for me to keep my Amazon Prime account now.

That doesn't even cover the tax difference to buying it physical instead of digital

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yeah strange. I usually would wait for reviews to come out on some stuff and then use the discount at release. If I now exclusively need to preorder that's kinda a bummer.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haz said:

Well, that's a disappointment. Been waffling over whether to try out Prime; I have a whole lot less of a reason to care now.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haz said:

Man that's a bummer. Happy I ordered Yakuza and Uncharted before the discount dropped. Was seriously considering going back to mostly physical copies cause of that discount.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah once all the e3 pre order deals ship ill probably not renew

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cerberus3dog

As other have pointed out, Best Buy still has the Gamer's Club thing which is the same basically. I've been on it for 3 years now.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Corwag

Just jumping in here to tell/remind people that the Yakuza Kiwami Steelbook prime preorder is about 24 bucks. A great deal!

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I renewed my subscription back in April assuming I'd be getting the 20% discount all year, and now it's down to 10%. No warning, no messaging, just randomly dropping the discount. What the fuck.

The nice thing is that they have excellent customer service. I have heard from multiple people that have accidentally auto-renewed, just didn't like prime and wanted to cancel, or where short on cash asking to cancel the remainder of there yearly membership and getting the money back for the remaining months of the membership. So worst case ask them to cancel and they should give you the unused months back if you don't feel its worth it.

I have been moving more to digital with my PS4 and haven't been using it, but it was really nice having the option of waiting two weeks to see what the internet as a whole had to say about a game and still getting the deal. Now its either go in blind and potentially save a few bucks, or miss out on the deal altogether. Amazon has slowly been losing me with some of there decisions, as there competition has been catching up with better deals and comparable services.

CHiPsFan7Mary4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I noticed it too. I wanted to order a game tonight and it only is a 10% discount on Amazon.ca. Games I pre-ordered months ago were 20% still so at least that hasn't changed. I contacted customer service and they didn't want to answer my question. I am supposed to get an email from the marketing and promotions department in 1 day or so explaining things. It looks like Amazon.com is only 10% now too. Agents of Mayhem came out today and even though it has been released there is still a 10% discount. The customer service rep was reluctant to say anything as he did not want me to get mad.

I said I understand. That is pretty shady and scummy to reduce the discount and not let people know. Terrible way to go about things. The 20% is the main reason I have Prime. Well I will wait and see what the marketing and promotions people say.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Just finally saw some game deals man of note mention this. Like I said before, didn't see it talked about anywhere, must have just happened.