Alpha people in the video game industry ?

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mageman

I was wondering what are some ''alpha'' people involved in making videogames. Itagaki is a given, and I recently read that when John Carmack was still a kid, he and a bunch of other kids broke into a school to steal Apple II computers which is pretty damn alpha. Do you know any more ?

LetsRockBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By LetsRockBaby

Would be John Romero had he actually made everyone his bitch and not Daikatana making him its bitch. Such a shame.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By oatz

Using the "alpha" and "beta" shit is beta as fuck.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

That's kind of broad in context, do you mean designers or anyone period...  if anyone...  probably all the CEO's of game companies...  Gabe Newell, Bobby Kotick, Mike Morhaime and etc...  then the dudes like Shigeru Miyamoto who just created some of the most popular game franchises ever.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pinworm45

CLIFFY B

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thornie_delete

Kojima

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By CosmicQueso

Mario. No doubt.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

I think that this is real dumb, but I want one man to get his dues and I don't think that anybody else will mention him.

Gunpei Yokoi is not only a key part of gaming history, he invented the grabber-claw.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Marz: Alpha has little to do with how big or important they are. I'd say Gabe is Alpha because that fucking knife collection. Bobby though, really? He's kind of a pussy. He just says dumb shit. SWERY! Can't forget the alpha dog of all alpha dogs.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Marz
@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Marz: Alpha has little to do with how big or important they are. I'd say Gabe is Alpha because that fucking knife collection. Bobby though, really? He's kind of a pussy. He just says dumb shit. SWERY! Can't forget the alpha dog of all alpha dogs.

what?  the people i mentioned are leaders in the industry... that's what an alpha dog is... a leader. 
Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mageman

@Marz said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

what? the people i mentioned are leaders in the industry... that's what an alpha dog is... a leader.

I meant it more in the way Mordeaniis has stated it.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By donchipotle

Bruce Kibbutz

fleethefactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fleethefactory

@DonChipotle said:

Bruce Kibbutz

This. Also @nintendoeats is right. We lost him too early.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thehexeditor

Glen Schofeld

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lockwoodx
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Marz said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

what?  the people i mentioned are leaders in the industry... that's what an alpha dog is... a leader. 
Also, I got 50 bucks that says Kotick would eat most of these supposed "alphas" for breakfast - especially an adorable little meekling like SWERY. Bobby didn't get where he is by being a pussy or a nice guy. 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Jimbo

Peter Moore is the Alpha and the Omega.

Cliffy B is Beta. That's what the B is for.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green
@Jimbo said:

Peter Moore is the Alpha and the Omega.

Cliffy B is Beta. That's what the B is for.

lol at that. i was going to say cliffy B. 

people at EA. they are douche with their games.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Example1013

Fuckin' Dana White. EA says "MMA isn't a sport" when he approaches them about a UFC game. He says "fuck EA", and gets like 2k or 989 to make the wildly popular UFC Unleashed. EA has to eat their words, asks nicely to license UFC and make a good game, and Dana gives them the middle finger. End of story, EA loses out big, and UFC loses out a little (they still got some fucking brand recognition on that game, and EA MMA wasn't doing much better, but EA still probably would've made a more successful UFC game).

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Meowshi

@Marz said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

what? the people i mentioned are leaders in the industry... that's what an alpha dog is... a leader.

This is why using the term "alpha" is stupid. People like this don't even know what it means.

Just say bad-ass or something. Let's leave the stupid internet lingo on 4chan.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vodun

Alpha...may you burn slowly to death, alone and unloved.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@ProfessorEss said:

@Marz said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Also, I got 50 bucks that says Kotick would eat most of these supposed "alphas" for breakfast - especially an adorable little meekling like SWERY. Bobby didn't get where he is by being a pussy or a nice guy.

@Meowshi said:

@Marz said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

This is why using the term "alpha" is stupid. People like this don't even know what it means.

Just say bad-ass or something. Let's leave the stupid internet lingo on 4chan.

Alpha does NOT mean simply "the leader of men and beast" it means much more. An alpha creature isn't simply "the boss" the alpha creature is able to dominate other males in displays of mating, strength, and general having of massive balls. I was mostly being stupid and silly about who I mentioned, but "not being a nice guy" is not the same as being an "alpha male." It's easy to be a prick at the head of a company, and certainly doesn't require total domination and an environment where whoever takes down the alpha dog in a display of primal aggression and strength, and it's easy to be a dick within the company and still cower when someone points a gun at you. You put an E-7 in a room of civilians and you'll know who the alpha is. Put Kotick in a room full of leathernecks, and you'll see pretty plainly that he is not in fact an alpha. Being the head/face of a large corporation doesn't really require the innate leadership skills, brutal aggression, and massive kahunas that being the alpha in a pack in nature requires. In fact, there isn't a lot of leading going on at all. It's mostly other things he takes care of, while management, well, manages the employees. Really, it's hard to find any alphas among humans because it really means so much more than "guy who makes the most and has the last say in what stupid shit we do 'dat Call of Duty' and what have you" and the closest most will get to being an actual "alpha" is if you ever happen to be the baddest dude at your local MCRD.