8-Bit Christmas

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As an adult in his 40's, I am irrationally excited for this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIcAkLBV-U

It is just hitting all the nostalgia notes for me. Not only does it appear to be set in Chicago (close to where I grew up), but the experience itself is very similar to the one I lived at that same time. All the way down to the parent saying "we'll never have a video game system in this house," they seem to have nailed it. I guess my parents weren't the only ones who felt that way. I can still vividly remember getting and playing my NES on Christmas morning, and maybe I'll be able to relive that moment just a bit through this movie.

My 8 year old is interested in it too, so I'm looking forward to sitting down with him and watching it together in a few weeks. I'm certainly not expecting anything Oscar-worthy, but hopefully it can capture some of that feeling of what it felt like for a kid to so badly want, and finally receive, their first video game system.

AndersWarming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"1 hour, then you have to go play outside"

Jokes on them. Now I stay inside ALL the time!

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not expecting it to, but I really hope this hits the same notes as A Christmas Story.

Used to be one of my favorites but I've just seen it so many times now, and let's be honest, its jokes are a but dated.

This is clearly going for a similar vibe, and obviously is made for a new generation. Hopefully it's a new Christmas classic.

Leviathan_Dive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way, had no idea about this movie. I remember this stage of my life so clearly revolving around the NES. Thank you for posting.

Leviathan_Dive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only on HBO Max, ugh Im so bummed now.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Ahhh man thanks for sharing this. Looks pretty cool.

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reporting back... I watched this movie with the family tonight and I was pleasantly surprised. My wife and kids both enjoyed it too. I'm not going to call it a Christmas classic by any means, but it was well done and entertaining. They didn't go extremely heavy on the Nintendo-specific content and references, but seeing the mall store Nintendo display certainly brought back memories. And there was the obligatory mocking of the Power Glove (spoiler alert). Anyway, I'll definitely watch it again at some point and it might even make its way toward the bottom of the list of my usual Christmas rotation of movies like Christmas Vacation, Elf, and Home Alone.