What's this like now?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I know when this launched, it was a disaster

Is it decent now? I'm interested in playing when I get a PS5 and I'd like to know what it's like, and if it's worth picking up

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Efesell  Online

It’s good.

Performance is solid, major bugs ironed out. Lots of patches the last year adding small bits of content and quality of life features.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@sombre said:

I know when this launched, it was a disaster

Is it decent now? I'm interested in playing when I get a PS5 and I'd like to know what it's like, and if it's worth picking up

I played the PS5 version earlier this year. It's now one of my favorite games of all time. I also played a Blades build, which I think made it way more fun than guns might have been.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was holding a PS4 version of this today. I couldn't do it. Even if it worked well enough, it's not got that Witcher pull.

constantk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Was wondering this myself, thanks for starting this thread.

Sadly, I have an unopened Xbox One copy that was gifted to me and will probably never get used. I switched to playing games on a PC and playing this game on an Xbox One now seems like it would be a mistake.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Efesell  Online

Find a cheap PS4 copy if you are gonna play on 5 though cause that upgrades free.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's still Cyberpunk 2077, but the series of Digital Foundry videos on the game seem to suggest playing either the past gen or current gen versions of the game on a current gen console works fine in terms of performance.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

On a PC with a decent video card, it's probably the best-looking game ever made at this point. And it's fun to play, too, at least after you get some decent guns! I really, really enjoyed it - definitely one of my "GOTY"s since I only started playing in January. Went with guns and crafting and quickhacking and really enjoyed the challenge level on Hard difficulty - had to play somewhat stealthy but that wasn't a big deal after I found the SMG that could shoot through walls.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s a good game that did itself dirty be releasing a year or two too soon. It’s largely been fixed, at least on pc with a Rtx 3080. The writing is good, the combat is ok and the character system still sorta sucks. It’s worth playing overall. If you already have it, there is no point not to. If you are on PC, it’s fairly cheap these days. Dunno the console prices lately.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Humanity

I can't speak to the quality of the console version but even at launch, depending on your luck it was potentially pretty good on PC. I played from Day 1 and encountered very few bugs and most of them cosmetic and UI related. After so much time has passed they've ironed out all the rougher edges and it's the closest thing you'll play to another Deux Ex game so if you liked those you should like this.

El_Blarfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By El_Blarfo

I played through it on the 1.5 patch (the one BEFORE the one that just dropped) on PS5.

Bugwise there were still some hiccups but it was otherwise fine. I'd compare it to about a Skyrim-launch level of weirdness. Couple crashes, the occasional person or object getting caught in the geometry, nothing game-breaking. I assume with the latest patch even more of that has been fixed.

The game itself is good! For my taste there are a few too many gameplay systems for them all to be equally interesting or useful, but the story and setting are great! If we were reviewing things numerically, I'd give it an 8/10 or so.

(Oh, and I played with the free PS5 Upgrade using a PS4 disc.)

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have any experience with how it runs on a Series S?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FacelessVixen
SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SethMode

I don't think I would call versions of the original a *disaster* but it was an over-promised PR mess on any platform, and an outright unplayable on base consoles like the One and the PS4. The game proper though has always been largely fine, if a bit uneven and kind of hollow feeling at points. The updates have been quite nice (I've only dabbled with them though), and I look forward to going back to this when the first DLC drops.So in other words, it's a good game that was overhyped that runs much better now.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By splodge

@facelessvixen:

Great video! Thanks.

I think I might actually finally pick this up.

Edit - Its still 70 Eurons . I aint buying it for 70 Eurons. Hopefully it goes on sale again at some point.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FacelessVixen

@splodge: Depending on your region, maybe CDKeys can help you out with that as well. They're reliable. I've bought almost 60 keys from them since 2015. I did get a bad key once, but that was rectified with a working key after a day or two of emailing their customer support team.

But if you think roughly $30 is too big of a gamble... well, unfortunately, I'm not aware of Xbox's sale cycles since I'm a PC/Steam person, though I have heard about the game going for $20 at certain points, like Black Friday (on my side of the pond) and whatnot.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i've actually been playing it for a week now having seen how broken saints row ended up had me thinking about it enough to finally give it a go. .... honestly the game at least on my pc copy is mostly fine . i wouldn't call it amazing , theres some good stuff in there but overall i think its not as good a game as witcher 3 side stuff wise , but i think thats partly cause i just don't find the world as interesting. preformance wise i'm running it close to max settings with hdr off and rtx on . the biggest complaint i have is that after a few hours of playing the stuttering becomes horrendous and you just gotta save and restart the game . its something that throughout is imo a pretty bad issue when switching between menu and world but seems to get worse the more often you load the map and go into denser areas . but since it does help to restart the game it doesn't make it a deal breaker and it actually provides a good chance to take a break. the plot isn't amazing but i will say the johnny silverhand bits are great , idk if i would feel the same if it wasn't keanu playing the part but he does so it doesn't matter i think he does an amazing job . and the fact that even select side stuff has him sprinkled in helps . i think i have another day or 2 worth of missions left in my go of things if i don't mainline ( a few hours if i do?) so far last i looked at my ingame save timer i was about 45hrs in

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Yes, the game is much better now. You might still see the occasional bug, but no different than most other games, meaning its pretty rare now. As for the game itself, its very good. The story is decent, characters engaging, and the gameplay is fun. And they truly captured the Blade Runner like setting they were going for, which was hard to see before because of all the bugs. It's clear this game would've gotten huge praise if it was released after it was finished, and not rushed out to meet a deadline which was a disaster. If the story of Cyberpunk 2077 proves anything, is how important it is to wait until a game is done, no matter how long it takes before release. Delays suck, but its better to wait than get stuck with a crappy release. Mass Effect Andromeda also suffered from this, but arguably not as bad as Cyperpunk.

wakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By wakka

Started my playthrough a few weeks ago on PS5, finished it. I clocked about 100 hours, going through all the gigs, side quests, etc.; I encountered one or two crashes that were totally inconsequential considering where I was checkpointed. I don't think, though, that that's out of the ordinary for most games, anyway. It feels really polished at this point. Highly enjoyed the game and am looking forward to the DLC.

Kyary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happy to see this game has turned around. Personally, I'm gonna hold out for the first sale after the expansion drops to check it out.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By superslidetail

FYI, this is 50% off right now on PSN. I might finally grab this and play it. I have not played it at all before this.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By bybeach

I started Cyberpunk 2077 around 2 weeks ago and had trouble getting my head into it. That's mitigated some, just getting used to how the characters like to converse and all. Also, I am having a struggle deciding what input to use. My old controller was shot, so I bought a new x-box wireless, and it is fine and more. But I just keep wanting to use K+M.

I'm not far in at all, but the world seems realized, and the graphics are good. I bought the game for 30.00, and I feel that's good for the wait, before I would trust picking this game up to play.

RisingSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it through twice on PC last year (prefer fem V) and it was pretty good, no performance issues. I'm always in for some rusty ass sci-fi aesthetic and that Run the Jewels son is still stuck in my head.

Graphically love the interiors, exteriors kinda plain except for set pieces. Also think I'm completely done with the Bethesda style talking head NPC animations during conversations when games like Horizon 2 made open world conversations far more engaging and emotive (didn't seem fair to compare to LoU2 cutscenes but I'd take it).

Gunplay was also kinda weak but 2nd time through I really started to get into the mods and made things a bit better.

Story was unfortunately kinda generic as well, unmemorable characters though always fun to chill with Keanu.

Overall if you've seen the coverage and if only the tech issues turned you off, PC and modern consoles are more than fine (2nd hand for consoles) but skip last gen. I'd still only get it on sale but you do you!

Oh and if you haven't seen Cyberpunk Edgerunners on Netflix, I was shocked how good the story and characters were and I'm not a huge anime guy (Cyberpunk 2078 please take notes). Literally might pic up 2077 for round 3 just to step back into the world.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f
deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff on his latest pod episode revisited the game and wasn't impressed by the work done in the years since release.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AV_Gamer
@mkennedy said:

Jeff on his latest pod episode revisited the game and wasn't impressed by the work done in the years since release.

That's because Jeff's very powerful PC made most of the bugs people were dealing with non-existant, like the lucky few who also had very power PCs when the game first came out. So, course the changes weren't that big of a deal to him, and he has said many times that he thinks the game itself is average at best.

bobafoot17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about on the Steam Deck? I'm getting mine soon and with Cyberpunk 2077 being on sale right now it seems like a pretty great place to play it on. Any input on that?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Its a shame they put it out in the sorry state they did, even if fixed up it does not meet expectation it still woudl have been pretty darn good. Now they have people scared to buy it - not a good place to be.

As @efesell said find a used copy and upgrade it on PS5. That is probably what I will do.

spacegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it has got technically better but to me the technical issues has always been the smallest issues in this game.

Unfortunaly there is still pretty much nothin I like about it. The gameplay has been a huge disappointment from the beginning, atmosphere is lacking, the city feels lifeless, etc.

If you have not bought it I can only recommend to buy pen&paper Cyberpunk RPGs instead.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mkennedy said:

So? I mean, many of us here still miss Jeff, appreciate all of what he's done, and respect his opinions. But for those who take on his opinions as their own... maybe Gus Sorola was right to call out Jeff's cheerleaders back in the Fallout 4 days.

Its a shame they put it out in the sorry state they did, even if fixed up it does not meet expectation it still woudl have been pretty darn good. Now they have people scared to buy it - not a good place to be.

As @efesell said find a used copy and upgrade it on PS5. That is probably what I will do.

Might wanna speak for yourself on "people scared to buy it". I can't speak for consoles (mostly because I don't care about consoles) but for Steam, Edgerunners is getting people interested in playing again, and it's currently back on the top sellers list. Having about 10,000 more concurrent players than Elden Ring kinda says something.

@spacegg said:

If you have not bought it I can only recommend to buy pen&paper Cyberpunk RPGs instead.

Assuming that one can find other people who are as disappointed with 2077 as they are and meet up to play 2020, as opposed to arguable the more convenient option of (re)playing the Deus Ex series and hoping the Embracer Group will let Eidos-Montréal follow up on Mankind Divided.

El_Blarfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff's opinion is legit. I like the game a lot as it stands now, but there are still some head-scratching design decisions in it. It suffers a lot from kitchen-sink syndrome. As I mentioned earlier, there are just WAY too many systems at work, and the game is pretty bad at explaining most of them.

The absolute strongest element of Cyberpunk 2077 is the world, and that was enough for me to get past my quibbles. Your mileage may vary.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So? I mean, many of us here still miss Jeff, appreciate all of what he's done, and respect his opinions. But for those who take on his opinions as their own... maybe Gus Sorola was right to call out Jeff's cheerleaders back in the Fallout 4 days.

OP asked for opinions about how the state of the game, and I shared one. Outside of Digital Foundry I couldn't find many outlets giving updated opinions on the state of the game. Also what's the point of following games media if not to take in the opinions/viewpoint shared?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Efesell  Online

@el_blarfo: How... are there too many systems? This is not a game that I would describe as being mechanically dense.

El_Blarfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By El_Blarfo
@efesell said:

@el_blarfo: How... are there too many systems? This is not a game that I would describe as being mechanically dense.

Well, look at the granularity in the perks and the leveling system. I don't think they're all equally valuable or interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Like, for example, I'm still not really sure how helpful Coldblood was to me, even though I had a few points invested in it. Then there's the way your skills gain passive buffs as they level, but that's a different mechanic from investing perks. Other than saying, "Okay, broadly speaking I'm good at guns/blades/hacking/whatever" I found it hard to tell how my character was affected.

I mean, look, if you weren't bugged by it, great! I found that it caused me to spend time decoding what was happening under the hood, and as a result it took me longer to appreciate the things I liked about the game. it all made sense eventually, but it took a minute.

Again, to reiterate, I liked the game! But I think it would have been as good or better with a little streamlining.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mkennedy said:

@facelessvixen said:

OP asked for opinions about how the state of the game, and I shared one. Outside of Digital Foundry I couldn't find many outlets giving updated opinions on the state of the game. Also what's the point of following games media if not to take in the opinions/viewpoint shared?

I don't know how to answer that question with certainty since I don't follow games media like I did between the 2000's and early 2010's. Getting excited over various trailers during various E3-like events, being subbed to Game Informer, or going to sites like GameTrailers to see what the review score is was very much a thing for me back in the day. But at this point, after playing games for nearly 30 years: I know what my likes and dislikes are. Seeing footage usually gives me enough information to make a purchasing decision. And let's plays, Nextlander and Digital Foundry provide me more with entertainment instead of information. I'm not saying that I'm completely immune to word-of-mouth, but I'm pretty good at making up my own mind when looking for something new to get into.

As for giving an opinion about games: It's better to just speak for myself for the sake of having ownership of my thoughts and opinions. If someone shares my opinion, cool. If someone doesn't share my opinion based on their hands-on experiences, that's disappointing, but it's understandable since everyone isn't meant to like everything. But just quoting one person or another, especially notable journalist, content creator or just pulling scores from Metacritic, it makes me question a few things, like: Is the shared opinion merely adopted because of so-and-so's cult of personality? Is that shared opinion coincidental? Or, has the person even played the game? With the former of sharing personal impressions, it is what it is in either direction. But the latter can get into groupthink /echo chamber/"they say" territory which I can only give so much credence to.

So, here's my question for you: What do you personally think about the game?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: I thought it was meh. I ultimately didn't finish it, a combination of it not grabbing me and other things happing around that time. As to why it didn't get it's hooks in me, I didn't find the combat really that engaging. Maybe had I stuck with it and acquired more upgrades/guns it might have clicked with me, but I only have some much time in the day. Combined with the less than stellar technical performance at launch and word that the story might not be all that worth it I bounced. Maybe when the DLC hits I might comeback but right now nope.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: This is such an incredibly bizarre argument to start considering the OP asked for takes, and all that was done was someone gave him noted video gamesman and seasoned reviewer Jeff Gerstmann's updated take on it. Seems like exactly what the OP was looking for?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@facelessvixen said:

I know what my likes and dislikes are. Seeing footage usually gives me enough information to make a purchasing decision. And let's plays, Nextlander and Digital Foundry provide me more with entertainment instead of information. I'm not saying that I'm completely immune to word-of-mouth, but I'm pretty good at making up my own mind when looking for something new to get into.

I'm not going to get into your whole post, but I just want to question lumping Digital Foundry in with let's plays and personality driven content. Sure, the DF presenters sometimes include their opinions in the videos, but the vast majority of the content, especially the specific game tech reviews, are based on pure factual analysis. You can't choose whether or not to agree or disagree with a Digital Foundry review, it is cold data for the most part. Analyzing a game's performance, image quality, or rendering techniques is not a matter of opinion.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: For my intents and purposes: I'm sitting pretty with a 9900K and a 2080 Ti. I'm pretty sure that I have 3440 x 1440p on lock for the next couple of years. So I tune in more so just to hear them talk, as opposed to actually seeing if I can run something.

Bardalien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 hard crashes on base ps4 in 4 hours. Like was moving too fast in the world on vehicle, showed up aty destination and no textures or people loaded in and frozen completely and had to restart ps4 but didn't lose my saves. Pretty rough with any game I've dealt with since Fallout 3

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bardalien: They already made it clear several times that the game is pretty much unplayable on a PS4 and Xbox One. This is why the future DLC will be current-gen and PC only.

Bardalien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@av_gamer:

I mean yeah I'll 100% admit fault for hyping and buying on day of. Last one I'll ever do. Tried for a week to play on initial dates and there was just too much jank.

Got back in after watching half the show and it's definitely more tolerable, hdr works good but it feels so dated and the graphics pop isn't comparable to anything since mid 30's games. I'll still play as much as I can in hopes that it won't fry my saves.