I really hope Conviction doesn't turn into Assassin's Creed.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Icil

Although I know you Bombcasters didn't particularly like the Splinter Cell series (from what I heard), I loved it.

I agree when Brad (I hope it was Brad who said it) voiced that perfectionists would hate having to retry over and over because of being caught. It's true. I would retry from the last checkpoint if I got caught. However, the reason I had so much fun in that game is that I would spend a ton of time at each new scene, watching as carefully as I can -- checking guard patrols, watching for cameras, making sure there are no hidden areas where I can be surprised. I'd survey the scene and come up with an awesome strategy for getting through, and if it succeeded and I didn't have to touch as single guard, the rewarding (some may say ninja) feeling you get is awesome.

Thus, I'd hate for Ubi to take the game in a more action-y sense. I loved Chaos Theory's philosophy of "Run N' Gun or Stealthiness", and I'd embrace a change like that in Conviction, but I really don't want something stupid like a scripted alarm sequence where I'm forced to show off my gunmanship.

Thoughts? Am I in a very tiny minority when I say that I loved Splinter Cell's extremely slow pace and heavy penalties for screwing up?

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Absurd

Playing through the first Splinter Cell, I never do more than a mission at a time or else I'll kill myself...Its fun but rather frustrating to get caught and I've developed a habit of quicksaving.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MisterSpiffy

Yeah, I just played through Double Agent and was fairly dissapointed.  Some of the levels, namely Kinsasha are VERY hard to beat stealthily.  I don't have high hopes for Conviction.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb

Yeah, we wouldn't want a dying series to turn into an amazing game like Assassin's Creed. Now would we?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187
BiggerBomb said:
"Yeah, we wouldn't want a dying series to turn into an amazing game like Assassin's Creed. Now would we?"
Amazing game?  We must've played different games.  =  /
Personally, Splinter Cell's shining moment was Pandora Tomorrow, and after that, it really just started turning into a shooter more than a stealth-action game.  I think, honestly, the multiplayer is what made people think about the single-player game differently.

Besides, we already know what they are gonna do:  turn Sam Fischer into Jason Bourne.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo

Stop hating on Assassin's Creed! I "liked" it (notice I didn't say loved) and thought it was decent. My main problem with the game is you had no variety. It was: enter location, do some recon (e.g. boring bullshit) then kill the guy. Considering it was real-world focused all of the areas seemed somewhat the same -- village that is bright, village that is gloomy; either way the village had similar buildings. I also hated the AI, how acrobatic the guards were, etc. But then I loved climbing around, maybe I just love Prince of Persia too much.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Was gonna make a thread in the AC forums, but too many customers, and I don't feel like arguing after that spat I just had about whether the guitars were working for GH3 or not.