Belgium Banning Rental of Video Games - CLARIFICATION!

SgtReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By SgtReznor

I was just listening to the new Bombcast, and was intrigued by the story about the guy who wrote in to say that as of December 1st, Belgium government are going to ban rental games.

I did some research and found out that this isn't exactly true. The problem is rental places that have been buying retail copies of games then renting them, instead of paying publishers the licensing money for a rental copy, which is what the BEA are cracking down on. If a rental store wants to pay for a rental copy, then that's fine, it's only a smack-on-the-bum if you rent a retail copy.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_
SgtReznor said:
"I was just listening to the new Bombcast, and was intrigued by the story about the guy who wrote in to say that as of December 1st, Belgium government are no long going to ban rental games.

I did some research and found out that this isn't exactly true. The problem is rental places that have been buying retail copies of games then renting them, instead of paying publishers the licensing money for a rental copy, which is what the BEA are cracking down on. If a rental store wants to pay for a rental copy, then that's fine, it's only a smack-on-the-bum if you rent a retail copy."
Which was obvious from the beginning, although people would rather shitstorm then do research. Thanks for clarifying that for the guys though.
SgtReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By SgtReznor
Jayge said:
Which was obvious from the beginning, although people would rather shitstorm then do research. Thanks for clarifying that for the guys though."
yeah, that's what prompted me to find more about it, I just thought "nooo, that possibly can't be right?" There's so many sites running the same story, yet funnily enough, it's full of comments from other users all getting their panties in a knot about it. Kinda funny actually
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

Thanks for posting this. I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole podcast, but its good to know that this has been cleared up.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Jayge said:
"SgtReznor said:
"I was just listening to the new Bombcast, and was intrigued by the story about the guy who wrote in to say that as of December 1st, Belgium government are no long going to ban rental games.

I did some research and found out that this isn't exactly true. The problem is rental places that have been buying retail copies of games then renting them, instead of paying publishers the licensing money for a rental copy, which is what the BEA are cracking down on. If a rental store wants to pay for a rental copy, then that's fine, it's only a smack-on-the-bum if you rent a retail copy."
Which was obvious from the beginning, although people would rather shitstorm then do research. Thanks for clarifying that for the guys though."
But shitstorming is more fun than research!!!!!!!
CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CreamyGoodness
MattyFTM said:
"Jayge said:
"SgtReznor said:

But shitstorming is more fun than research!!!!!!!"
yes, yes it is
SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By SlowHands
MattyFTM said:
But shitstorming is more fun than research!!!!!!!"

Maybe, but seven exclamation marks are the sign of a madman.
Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Giantkitty

Do all countries have to pay a licensing fee?