What's been good in the last...three years?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Alright dudes?

So, historically, I've been a long time anime fan. I started with Akira on VHS imported from Japan in the 90s, and it took 8 weeks to get to my house. Those were the days.

But, I lapsed in the last decade or so. Last things I really watched were JJBA (Awesome up to season 6, which was dreck), Skullfaced Bookerseller Honda San (Cute), Attack on Titan (Which fell off a cliff) and Darwin's Game (Alarmingly good)

I'm kinda...eager to get back into things. What's been good in the last, let's say 3-5 years? Game Pass Ultimate has a 75 day free trial on CrunchyRoll at the moment, so it's as good a time to get back into it as ever (?)

Side Note: The new One Piece show on Netflix is sick. Really enjoying it. Heresy be damned.

To help you recommend more easily, this might help: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Fallen189

Oh, please can I say up front, no Isekai, or nothing where the title is like "I got hit by a bus, and now I woke up as an 11 year old girls underpants"

Cheers!

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By spacemanspiff00

I really don't watch much anime anymore but one I did think was short and sweet recently was Odd Taxi. Not my usual fare but I thought it was quite charming.

Looking at your planning to watch on MAL, I liked Megalobox quite a bit as it reminds me of Ashita no Joe. If you haven't watched Kill la Kill yet its certainly worth a look. Kinda surprised Trigun is on that list given your history. Also, I've always meant to try out Monster as it has quite a stellar reputation. Only other ones I've seen are Eureka Seven which I remember being fond of when I was way more into mech shows, and Baki. You could probably skip Baki, I thought Kengan Ashura was more engaging if you want to watch hulking dudes fight eachother.

Side note: I also loved that Netflix One Piece so I started the anime and so far I might convince myself to make this journey. Time will tell. I started it about where the live action leaves off so I could see the Grand Line. Its been pretty wild so far. Just got through the Little Garden episodes. Any particular reason it ended up on your dropped list?

Trecil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinland Saga was an enjoyable ride if you’re okay with something a bit slower. Currently at 2 seasons (~40 something episodes) so can be a nice binge. Have also picked up Golden Kamuy recently and that’s been fun. Characters can be pretty eccentric but the story can still pull off somber moments when it wants to.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By AV_Gamer

A lot of Anime these days haven't been that good, only a few stick out. Because a lot of them are the japanese guy suddenly finds himself in another world, or trapped in a video game nonsense. Or Japanese guy surrounded by booba girls and they're driving him crazy. Shows like that in the past like Tenchi Muyo, Girls Bravo, and others were entertaining and funny. Now its just borderline hentai nonsense.

Right now, I would say Vinland Saga is a good modern Anime currently in Season 2.

Goblin Slayer if you haven't already watched it is pretty good.

Actually, a lot of the good Asian based shows lately, have been live action. Like Alice in Borderland, The Glory, and My Name just to name a few on Netflix. And speaking of Netflix, it looks like I'll have to check out that One Piece live action. I thought I was done with that endless time waster, but too many people are screaming its praise, and its already green lit for a second season.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@sombre:

From your linked PTW list:

• Flip Flappers: Kinda whimsical fantasy story with yuri tones.
  • Michiko & Hatchin: Story of a badass woman and her daughter(?) on a trek across notBrazil to reunite with their deadbeat father.
  • Megalobox: Whether or not you know it's a sci-fi remake of Ashita no Joe, it is an awesome boxing anime.
  • Trigun: The classic 90s anime about a technically-pacifist gunman who still somehow leaves a ton of property damage in his wake. There was a remake/prequel (Trigun Stampede) with 3D CGI that had surprisingly good animation but the reception was mixed. Still, check out the og first, see if you like it.

Anime that were good in the past few years imo:

• Dorohedoro: If you're fine with gore and body horror, you will love this one. A fucked up fantasy involving a man with a lizard-head who's resistant to magic and his best friend, a kung-fu gyoza chef. They fight sorcerers who use their neighborhood for experiments.
  • Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!: The story of three schoolgirls from very different backgrounds who get together to make their own anime, especially the wonder that two of them go through as they imagine it.
  • Akudama Drive: Throws Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner, and Reservoir Dogs into a blender and somehow makes it work really well.
  • Odd Taxi: Basically a Coen Brothers movie in anime form, with people who look like animals.
  • Vivy Flourite Eyes Song: An original sci-fi anime about a robot idol that has so much better animation and fight scenes than it has any right to have. The soundtrack is great too.
  • Sabikui Bisco: An anime done on (literal) mushrooms, set in a post-apocalyptic Japan. Kenjiro Tsuda voices the bad guy super-well. There's also some yaoi undertones if you're into that.
  • Birdie Wing: What if Happy Gilmore was a blonde anime lady? A show about golfing that's also secretly a Gundam spinoff.
  • Call of the Night (Yofukashi no Uta): a mix of comedy, romance, and vibes featuring the world's dumbest vampire and the insomniac boy who falls in love with her. Also wonderful soundtrack by Japanese hip-hop duo Creepy Nuts (who gave the manga/show its name).
  • Akiba Maid War: A show set in 1999 Akihabara about 5 ladies from different backgrounds working at a run-down maid cafe where nothing bad happens at all. Nope. Nothing involving an allegory for yakuza or other crime.
  • Bocchi The Rock!: Comedy about an extreme introvert with amazing guitar skills who slowly learns to come out of her shell with her bandmates (references to Asian Kung-Fu Generation). Based on a funny 4-koma but with amazing animation and music that really elevate it.
  • Chainsaw Man: It's about a young Man, who turns into a Chainsaw Devil. That's really all you need to know.
  • Revenger: Historical fiction written by Gen Urobuchi, about a disgraced samurai looking for revenge, and how his initial act sets off a giant plot involving opium smuggling in 19th century Japan while showing the impact it had on the region.
chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only seen a couple episodes but "The Masterful Cat Is Depressed Again Today" is pretty good. It's my kind of goofy. Young woman picks up a stray cat and it got BIG and takes care of her.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Quantris

I've not been watching anime for a while (due to just being too busy) but Dr. Stone was a cool concept I thought (based on first season of it).

Also I guess this would be a great time to get into Bleach

spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spacemanspiff00

Uh-oh, the AI is coming for anime now. Its like the AI is an Isekai in our world. Great, more Isekai's.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By sombre

Uh-oh, the AI is coming for anime now. Its like the AI is an Isekai in our world. Great, more Isekai's.

I thought AI at least posted intelligible comments

spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Not those Isekai AI's. Gotta be true to most of the Isekai bullshit.