Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Dec 26, 2013

A collection for PS3, PS4, Vita and PC, containing Final Fantasy X International and Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission featuring HD visuals and a remastered soundtrack.

How's the Steam version of FFX/X-2 HD?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Since it's officially out today (so soon!), I thought I'd set up the obligatory Steam-version topic, rather than derailing the announcement thread.

While I don't have it yet, I do plan on getting it eventually as my way of playing it when I'm at University. As such, how is it? Does it have any cool features? Are people working on mods? Does it have the infamous predictable-RNG-error (found at the release of the PS4 version) whereby the encounters were repeatable with the same calculations taking place each time (i.e. you could reload, run into a random encounter, have it be the same as last time, and have all chances - like critical hits - set before the battle)?

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wouldn't mind knowing as well. I've got the original discs and the PS3 version but wouldn't mind it on PC. It took them a while to sort FFXIII out.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By RVonE

@dixavd: Haven't fired it up yet but it has the option to choose between the original soundtrack and the remastered (garbage) soundtrack which wasn't available on the PS3 version. A friend tells me that it is locked at 30fps.

cigaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By cigaro

@rvone: It is locked to 30fps pn PC?

What a joke. That kills any desire for me to buy the game now.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@cigaro: I don't think anyone realistically expected it to be 60FPS. Games from that era nearly always tied the gameplay to the framerate. Undoing that would basically mean rebuilding the game from the ground up. It would be like starting from scratch. It would be great if it had higher framerate, but it's hardly a deal breaker, especially in a turn based game where the action being less fluid doesn't have any impact on your ability to play the game.

The original game ran at 30. The remaster still runs at 30, and looks a hell of a lot prettier.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thatpinguino  Staff

Any word on how the fast forward function works? The fast forward in FFIX is a game changer, and I would think that the gameplay in FFX is even more amicable for playing in fast forward at all times.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@cigaro: @rvone: The 30fps doesn't surprise me. When describing the initial jump to the HD version on PS3, they mentioned how many ways they cut corners on the PS2 (and this is why the HD release was delayed for years). It wouldn't surprise me if it still has a bunch of archaic design choices left in which rely on a constant 30fps.

.Also, I like a lot of the remastered music. I hope someone makes a mod where I can pick which versions of each individual song play (i.e. a checkbox for each song as to whether it's the original or HD versions) since I really like some of the changes, whereas for others my love of the original overshadows. It would be awesome to have the original version of Besaid play when you initially get there until after the initial summoning, and then the remastered version plays afterwards. The original is stunningly beautiful at capturing Tidus's feelings of loneliness despite being in a place so beautiful. The latter is better at representing a hopeful outlook at heading on a journey home. Both songs fit this function of Besaid to the player but highlight different aspects.

If only I knew how to mod things...

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Time to dodge lightning again.

Wondering how the graphics shape up vs pcsx2.

ThisIsACoolTag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I wouldn't mind running through the game if I can completely break the sphere grid with Cheat Engine? Grinding for those things was so damn tedious.

The previous FF games on Steam have a booster thing built into the launcher for if you wanted to play through in 'god mode'

Some dude on reddit has posted a list of available boosters/cheats for FFX:

• Increase or decrease encounter rate
    • Double and quadruple gameplay speed (does not affect cutscenes)
    • Auto-battle handled by AI
    • No HUD (for taking screenshots)
    • Max out consumables (permanent when enabled)
    • Max Gil (permanent when enabled)
    • Unlock skills (permanent when enabled)
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

What are the graphics options like? Can it look significantly nicer than the previous remasters?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#12  Edited By audioBusting

I didn't know about the built-in cheats in these remasters. I'm really tempted to get them now...

@brendan: The reddit post linked above (this one) also lists the graphics options.

Game appears to be running at 30FPS.

Various graphics options:

• Resolution ("populated by Windows" according to GAF users)
    • Screen Mode
    • Brightness
    • Vsync
    • Texture Quality
    • Anisotropic Filtering
    • Shadows
    • Anti-Aliasing
    • Color Correction
    • Post-Filter AA
    • Unsharp Mask
    • Ambient Occlusion
    OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Runs great for me max settings (I'm on a 780), and looks fantastic. I played the PS3 remaster but didn't get PS4 one, the original soundtrack is really nice to have.

I'm normally one who needs 60fps but I honestly don't mind it for this game. Maybe nostalgia but eh.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cigaro said:

@rvone: It is locked to 30fps pn PC?

What a joke. That kills any desire for me to buy the game now.

The hell do you need 60fps on FFX for?

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I caved in.

Will report back after my rural internet has done its job. 3 hours, probably - It's a 34GB file.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@rvone said:

option to choose between the original soundtrack and the remastered (garbage) soundtrack

SOLD. BOUGHT

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man i really hope they'll port XII, that would be the best.

Vanquesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saft: considering they're running out of FF games to port to steam, It'll probably happen sooner or later.

(My fingers are crossed too)

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm having weird issues with the game not recognizing my controller. I'm using a DS4 controller with DS windows. I got it working yesterday, played for about an hour started it up today and started having the controller issue again. It works in ever other game but for some reason this game chooses not to see it almost randomly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.