Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Why does everyone love Final Fantasy 7?

Frohman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Frohman

It has had a movie made of it, sooo much fan fiction, games made of its characters, updates and makeovers, and features in other games. Why #7 though? Why is it the best one and the one everyone remembers most.
    I watched a friend play it at length and I was bare impressed. To me it seems like an older version of the series. FF13 was a lot more fun to watch.

So, without saying, or alluding to, nostalgia, can someone tell me why it is considered the best/most popular in the series?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

Mostly because it was the first 3D Final Fantasy and at the time a tad minblowing. Now though it looks as impressive as lego characters on a C64. 

And also cmon dude, Nostalgia. Its Nostalgia. Most older games are loved because of nostalgia.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

Because it was the first "next-gen"' non-nintendo CD based 3D Final Fantasy, and was the beginning of the current period of FF games, where it's less Fantasy and more Sci-Fi. Though Final Sci-Fi doesn't sound as nice, does it? 

Personally, I think 6 and 9 were way better. 9 was just funny, so it's automatically more interesting to me, and 6 just had better themes, a better villain, and a cooler setting.  

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheFreeMan
    This might help explain.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By melcene

For the people that played the hell out of 7 when it was still fresh and new and popular, the games that came after slowly went downhill. 

8 wasn't too bad, but there were some things people didn't like. 

9 had more things people didn't like. 

By the time 10 came out, people were hoping for something really mind-blowing, but it wasn't, so people were pretty meh about it. 

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Tiwi
    @EuanDewar said:

"
    Mostly because it was the first 3D Final Fantasy and at the time a tad minblowing. Now though it looks as impressive as lego characters on a C64. 

And also cmon dude, Nostalgia. Its Nostalgia. Most older games are loved because of nostalgia. "

Make sure to differentiate nostalgia, from actual depth and playability. There are games who are still nostalgic, but are fully playable and competent games.
    I concur though, FFVII isn't as good as FFVI or even FF4. It feels clunky and it's an absolute horror to look at. But, the story is still decent and the game play is still ok compared to most JRPG's today.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta
    @tiwi said:
    " @EuanDewar said:

"

And also cmon dude, Nostalgia. Its Nostalgia. Most older games are loved because of nostalgia. "

Make sure to differentiate nostalgia, from actual depth and playability. There are games who are still nostalgic, but are fully playable and competent games. I concur though, FFVII isn't as good as FFVI or even FF4. It feels clunky and it's an absolute horror to look at. But, the story is still decent and the game play is still ok compared to most JRPG's today. "
    I would disagree about the story. It had a nice atmosphere though, mainly because of the music I feel
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 02sfraser

For me it was the first proper JRPG I played and the first Final Fantasy I played. Had 3D graphics, mind blowing cinematic scenes (at the time) and the characters are still my favourite to date. Also I loved the Materia system as well as a lot of the settings. This may all be down to nostalgia but I still love it.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Vonocourt
    @Frohman said:
    " I watched a friend play it at length and I was bare impressed. To me it seems like an older version of the series. FF13 was a lot more fun to watch.   "
    Maybe cuz it is?
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By melcene
    @TheFreeMan said:
    " This might help explain. "
    GREAT GREAT article.
    danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By danimal_furry

It was a pretty solid game, and it was ground breaking at the time.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrPockets000

If anyone on the GB staff loves it, that would be the answer right there.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maajin

Also, the PSOne was the first console to aim it's marketing to teenagers and young adults, and they fell in love with the higher complexity and themes of games such as Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid if compared to the more mainstream hits of the SNES and NES era. Similar RPGs existed, of course, some would say that FF6 is even more mature and deep, but were never as popular at their time.

NickTheDynamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By NickTheDynamo
    @Frohman: Just curious; how old are you?
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I tried playing that game, could not get into it. (or any FF game for that matter)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

For a lot of people, it was their first real RPG. People who really got into gaming on the PS1 (maybe they had a SNES or something beforehand, but didn't really get into some of the really in depth experiences like the Final Fantasy games) would have first experienced an RPG on the PS1. And for most people that game was Final Fantasy VII. So people naturally regard it with a very high level of nostalgia.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

It was for many the first JRPG they played, it came out at the right time not to mention it was actually great to play. I was never too into the story, the internet diluted what little love I had for that anyway.

Nostalgia does do it a lot of favours, it's aged much worse than most of the FF series in my opinion.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidSwords

You had to be there.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, really don't like FF7. 

The story is appalling, it controls horribly and I've never been able to get more than a few hours into it (though, have watched it being played through numerous times).

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ClaritySam

Well there are so many reasons (assuming you aren't just trolling), I think the fact that it was one of the first popular games to feature some genuinely moving story moments was a big part of its enduring appeal.  I mean obviously it's an FF game so a lot of it is total craziness but the death of Aeris was a really shocking moment back in 1997.  It had an excellent villain in Sephiroth, stacks of INTERESTING activities outside the main storyline (Chocobo breeding and the Gold Saucer were particular highlights) and in my opinion the magic system is the best in the series.  It also knocked down a lot of barriers for console-based rpgs outside their traditional home of Japan.  Finally you shouldn't forget the fact that at the time it was technically stunning, by far the prettiest looking game on the PS, with great music by   Nobuo Uematsu.   
    I'm not sure why later games in the series haven't been as good, I have flu and my brains melting :-)  IMO though, FFX is the only title that comes close to whats generally agreed to be the high point of the series.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ProfessorEss

I didn't enjoy it personally but I enjoyed watching my housemate play it on occasion.

The short version: It was AWESOME looking.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Brenderous
    @Frohman said:
    " To me it seems like an older version of the series. "
    Some people prefer the older-style Final Fantasy games to the new ones. 

VII has lots of nostalgia factor going for it too. First 3D Final Fantasy and all that. Plus it's a great game.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zeforgotten
    @melcene said:
    " @TheFreeMan said:
    GREAT GREAT article. "
    I agree, that was a very nice article. 

The Free Man has giving us a great link, and we thank him!
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tiwi
    @Laketown said:
    " @tiwi said:
    " @EuanDewar said:

"

Make sure to differentiate nostalgia, from actual depth and playability. There are games who are still nostalgic, but are fully playable and competent games. I concur though, FFVII isn't as good as FFVI or even FF4. It feels clunky and it's an absolute horror to look at. But, the story is still decent and the game play is still ok compared to most JRPG's today. "
    I would disagree about the story. It had a nice atmosphere though, mainly because of the music I feel "
    You don't find the story even decent? It's got enough depth to where you can read into characters personalities, and the story is both engaging and interesting, though it lags and struggles to move forward at times (mostly at the start of the game, until about 20 mins after you meet Areis). And even though there's some cases of "deus ex machina" it's as I've said, at least competent or decent. The graphics is one of the only reasons why the game isn't really relevant anymore, but at the time it was amazing.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Gabriel
    @TheFreeMan said:
    Nice article.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By Chris2KLee

I actually didn't enjoy 7 that much, just didn't click with me like others in the series had. Probably didn't really enjoy a FF again till 10.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ch13696

Maybe because of the story. That's why I still love it. Well, not like those people that have to dress up as the characters. Although, I'm still waiting to see a real life Tifa. Has anyone ever seen one?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Animasta
    @tiwi said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " @tiwi said:
    " @EuanDewar said:

"

I would disagree about the story. It had a nice atmosphere though, mainly because of the music I feel "
    You don't find the story even decent? It's got enough depth to where you can read into characters personalities, and the story is both engaging and interesting, though it lags and struggles to move forward at times (mostly at the start of the game, until about 20 mins after you meet Areis). And even though there's some cases of "deus ex machina" it's as I've said, at least competent or decent. The graphics is one of the only reasons why the game isn't really relevant anymore, but at the time it was amazing. "
    I actually played it to completion on the PC version in 2008 (I got stuck on the PS1 version in like 2000 or something) and the story definitely does not hold up. all the jenova stuff was hard to follow, the whole "twist" of cloud taking the other dude's identity or whatever wasn't very well done, some of the characters were not as developed as some others (Tifa, besides before you get him Cid, and Red 13 outside of the mystic mountain stuff) and it was just very poorly translated.
    prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By prestonhedges

context

that's why

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I really like about FF7 is how often it changes up the gameplay. Practically every area has a minigame or some interesting wrinkle attached to it. The Shinra Building, Junon, and Gold Saucer are the big ones everyone remembers, but the game deserves serious kudos for constantly mixing up the gameplay.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Famov

I played the first half hour of it and thought it was okay. 

One of these times though, I want to play on the side of the evil empire in a game where I get to squash environmental terrorists. Has that ever happened before?

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I've been recently re-playing it (after playing it in 1997 when i was 13) now and I will say, it still holds up in writing, atmosphere and difficulty. I will say, remembering almost nothing about the game, there is a grandiose adventure to it and a difficult battle system. The story can be confusing and I still hold VI as my epitome Final Fantasy, but playing the game 14 years later as a 27-year-old, I still have a blast with it. 

The graphics do look like shit now though.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#36  Edited By alistercat

I enjoyed the characters and the materia system. The music and world were pretty cool as well.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheFreeMan
    @ZeForgotten: @Gabriel:  @melcene:  

If you guys thought that was good, there's morewherethatcamefrom

(note: I did not write these articles but merely endorse them as being great)
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Tiwi
    @Laketown: you're right, but again nostalgia and having played crisis core, makes it more believable, at least it sets up some of the story elements. THOUGH advent children then goes ahead and punches you in the gut for believing in the continuity.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By 71Ranchero

The same reason why many other games get mass appeal and longevity when they aren't really that great to begin with. 

The game is solid and extremely playable. Thats all it takes to make a game like this or Halo rise to the top. Gameplay, story, design, or otherwise take a back seat to just being very well built.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Animasta
    @tiwi said:
    " @Laketown: you're right, but again nostalgia and having played crisis core, makes it more believable, at least it sets up some of the story elements. THOUGH advent children then goes ahead and punches you in the gut for believing in the continuity. "
    also the vincent game is terrible, from what i've heard, but FF7's best quality is the atmosphere, especially that area where you're walking along the train tracks.
    moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By moelarrycurly
    Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fenixrevolution

I think because it hit at the right time and changed a lot of things and made RPGs cool for more than a niche audience. I think that its looked at heavily with nostalgia googles, because since then a few RPGs have been better. I still have fond memories of it myself though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.