Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FIFA

Franchise »

The EA FIFA series is an annualy released franchise of soccer games developed by EA Canada and subsequently published by EA.

This soccer series' licensing is handing over to other third party studios

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Dear soccer fans

In-correct info:

Last year, EA Sports lost its licensing of FIFA, due to having several features that EA Vancouver & Romania has added including microtransactions which made the players feel unsatisfied.

Edited info:

RagTagBag has corrected for me that EA Sports appears that they got sick of this organisation as they drop its licensing and rebranded it into EA Sports FC but still have to license on various players around the world, so here is the link to the article.

FIFA Will Work With Other Developers To Launch Brand New Football Games - Nintendo Life

So I would like to hear your thoughts on this and I hope their future developer won't have so many microtransactions.

RagTagBag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RagTagBag

@gtxforza: You have it mixed up. EA doesn't want to deal with the stink of FIFA anymore. EA ended the relationship. It's laughable to think FIFA cares about what players think or would be against microtransactions. FIFA actually is an evil corrupt organization. EA is just a normal video game publisher.

The actual game EA releases next year will be pretty much the same as every other game they've released. They're just slapping a new name on it. EA already had the licenses with most of the teams, players, and leagues.

FIFA trying to say there will only be one authentic FIFA game is meaningless since people care more about actual players, teams, and ultimate team than they do about having the actual names of some tournaments.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gtxforza

@ragtagbag: Oh, I didn't know that, because I don't have much knowledge of soccer in general, even though, I enjoy watching the real matches, thanks for the correction.

RagTagBag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: If you want to have a fun time starting to learn about how awful FIFA is, John Oliver's done three segments on them and they're all on YouTube.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: If you want to have a fun time starting to learn about how awful FIFA is, John Oliver's done three segments on them and they're all on YouTube.

I will watch it later.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Onemanarmyy

The main reason EA didn't renew the FIFA licence is not because EA doesn't want to associate with the organization, it's because they felt their contract with Fifa was restrictive and because they don't want to fork over 1 billion dollars for 4 more years of Fifa to the organization. At this point, EA feels like they don't need the licence anymore to still attract the players to the series. They're banking on the idea that players mostly care about the footballers and the domestic leagues and that the world cup is not really all that important to Fifa players.

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-sports-fc-fifa-split-reasons

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main reason EA didn't renew the FIFA licence is not because EA doesn't want to associate with the organization, it's because they felt their contract with Fifa was restrictive and because they don't want to fork over 1 billion dollars for 4 more years of Fifa to the organization. At this point, EA feels like they don't need the licence anymore to still attract the players to the series. They're banking on the idea that players mostly care about the footballers and the domestic leagues and that the world cup is not really all that important to Fifa players.

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-sports-fc-fifa-split-reasons

Thanks for the info!

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's already been stated in the second message of this thread but FIFA is a terrible organization that supports literal slavery and other human rights violations in their Qatar World Cup that is happening later this year (that was only awarded to Qatar due to them bribing FIFA). I'm not saying that EA is an ethical corporation necessarily but them dropping the FIFA branding makes their product better.

FIFA can make their own games with other studios but I don't see why anyone would buy them. Maybe the first release gets picked up by some by mistake but they'll surely learn their lesson by the time the second game comes out.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shindig

UEFA's not much better. I still don't know who would pick the license up. Especially for the price they wanted from EA.

This has got me tempted to check out eFootball and see if that's ... closer to what was originally advertised.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I suppose the real questions are:

• Was FIFA 22? any good?
    • Was the FIFA license standing it it way, other than monetarily?
    • What game/presentation/art improvement if any are they trying to make if any?

Football is not my thing, but I can understand that this game is very important -symbolic- for certain gamers. This is 'the game' people buy every year, so it matters.

I hope it satisfies those fans. And, we can hope EA will make Jeffrey Ian Bakalar that-ice soccer- game he loves so much too.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

My impression (I haven’t yet installed FIFA 22 via PS+ but intend to soon) as a former heavy sports gamer who still plays a ton of baseball is that FIFA is, Ultimate Team aside, in the current S tier of “game that most resembles the actual product” and my memory of playing the game in actual soccer fans’ form rooms supports that. The crowd noise is incredible, the commentary feels more natural than most (partially because it’s kind of sparse if I remember right?) and the action on the field feels great. Pro Evo/Winning Eleven put a lot of pressure on EA and they couldn’t just buy soccer the way they did football so they actually put in the work to make a great simulation of soccer.

In other words, all this really means for EA is they lose the rights to calling the World Cup the World Cup. Just call it the Cup of Champions or whatever and look forward to taking in even more money than ever.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You mean football

RagTagBag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Why are you always such a bummer?

RagTagBag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RagTagBag

@monkeyking1969: I'm not 100% certain what losing FIFA means, but I'm pretty sure it's just getting to call it FIFA and they can't have an "authentic" World Cup. I don't think anything else would change. I doubt FIFA was in the way of anything since they were getting a giant cheque every year for basically doing nothing.

The game is fine, but they probably won't be making any meaningful changes in the future because it's already just printing money. It also helps that their only competition is currently a giant turd of a game.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I did my due diligence: eFootball 2022 is still kinda broke. The actual gameplay runs a whole lot smoother now which is good. It looks more like a big console effort rather than the mobile port it definitely started as.

However, I'm still not a fan of the way the match is paced. Maybe I'm still wired into Pro Evo but eFootball is definitely a different thing. What else? It still kills itself whenever it needs to contact a server. As such, I can't play it beyond the demo teams.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.