Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Friend Suggests Source of Monolith Solution (SPOILERS)

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#1  Edited By Little_Socrates

I was driving with my friends the other day, discussing Fez with one who had all but solved the game. They had remaining only the Security Question and, of course, The Monolith. After mentioning the need to learn a language and the monolith, the driver suggested that the monolith could be a reference. I responded with "of course, the internet's figured out that it's a reference to 2001, but no one knows what it means."

She responded by saying, "No, I think it's a reference to The Edifice." The Edifice, as I've done my research, is a 1997 text adventure game in which the major puzzles involve learning a language to communicate with one of the characters and a towering smooth "edifice."

Has anyone played this game? It can be played here, and those wishing to simply dig through a walkthrough can find that here. I'm planning to dig through this if nobody else is interested, but as an early winner of the Interactive Fiction Competition, it could very well have some ties to our friend Phil Fish. My immediate thought is that the monolith solution could be tied to a set of instructions one has to enter to complete the game, but I'm not entirely sure. It could certainly be much more complicated than that.

Also, summoning known Fez fans to the thread. COME,

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

That was a bit random... Anyway as devilish as Phill Fish might be I don't think he went that far.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#3  Edited By Brackynews

I shall download and have a look!

Decided to patch the game (and corrupt my save, yes) before I went back to see the monolith, so I have yet to "experience" it as many have.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By aurahack

That would be pretty nuts if it was.

Also "édifice" is a french word for "building", as in the structure. It certainly would fit the shape of the monolith, should it be meant to look like a tall building.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mtcantor

@aurahack said:

That would be pretty nuts if it was. Also "édifice" is a french word for "building", as in the structure. It certainly would fit the shape of the monolith, should it be meant to look like a tall building.

Yeah. We use the word in English as well.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By aurahack
    @mtcantor said:

@aurahack said:

That would be pretty nuts if it was. Also "édifice" is a french word for "building", as in the structure. It certainly would fit the shape of the monolith, should it be meant to look like a tall building.

I wouldn't know. D: I've only had it used in the French language around where I live.
    mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mtcantor

@aurahack said:

@mtcantor said:

@aurahack said:

I wouldn't know. D: I've only had it used in the French language around where I live.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/edifice

Yep. Somehow we manage to get by without all the accent marks down south.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By TwoLines

Oh God... I was clean man! I was clean, and you just keep briningin' me back!

...I'll check it out. Sigh.

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Lokno
    "put headdress on horse"

Ah, adventure games.

Nice pull by your friend, and I wouldn't be surprised if Fez has some deep cuts like that.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By oraknabo

I tried to post here last night and for some reason, the editor wouldn't let me.

I'll admit I just stopped trying to solve the monolith and while I haven't actually gone in to look at the leaderboards lately, not seeing any reference on google to anyone legitimately beating 209.4% by now, I'm just assuming that there is no real solution. I mean, someone should have at least brute forced it by now, right?

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By WarlordPayne

@oraknabo: The monolith was brute forced a month or two ago. Nobody knows how you are supposed to find the solution, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.