Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

About to beat Far Cry 2....thoughts...

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Edited By RichardLOlson

Well I'm about to beat Far Cry 2....my thoughts about the game in general.  It was good as open world fps, but with some of the useless shit thrown into the mix, it didn't really sit well with me.  For instance *Spoiler Alert* At the start of the game you get injected with malaria and you have to keep taking pills to keep the virus from infecting your body, but if you run out of pills you have to go to a underground base to get more...which mind you isn't tagged on your map.  Now this sucks if your in the middle of a fire fight and this malaria hits you like a kick in the nuts and you have to stop what your doing to take these damn pills.  I for one thought it was a pointless effort on there part to make it difficult.   The AI was responsive at times, but there were moments when I crouching at least a foot away from someone in clear view and they didn't even shoot at me...I had jump up just to get there attention.  Overall it was an alright game, the multiplayer on the other hand was good up until the point where I lost interest in the match types.  Well I'll be selling this game after I beat it.  I don't see any reason to keep it...picked up most of the achievements and just kinda got bored with it after a while.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1  Edited By RichardLOlson

Well I'm about to beat Far Cry 2....my thoughts about the game in general.  It was good as open world fps, but with some of the useless shit thrown into the mix, it didn't really sit well with me.  For instance *Spoiler Alert* At the start of the game you get injected with malaria and you have to keep taking pills to keep the virus from infecting your body, but if you run out of pills you have to go to a underground base to get more...which mind you isn't tagged on your map.  Now this sucks if your in the middle of a fire fight and this malaria hits you like a kick in the nuts and you have to stop what your doing to take these damn pills.  I for one thought it was a pointless effort on there part to make it difficult.   The AI was responsive at times, but there were moments when I crouching at least a foot away from someone in clear view and they didn't even shoot at me...I had jump up just to get there attention.  Overall it was an alright game, the multiplayer on the other hand was good up until the point where I lost interest in the match types.  Well I'll be selling this game after I beat it.  I don't see any reason to keep it...picked up most of the achievements and just kinda got bored with it after a while.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By SmasheControllers

You are a better man then me, I give up 62% done, I should try and finish.

1000 posts yea!

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@SmashedControllers said:

" You are a better man then me, I give up 62% done, I should try and finish.  1000 posts yea! "

Same here dude, it was a fun game when it came to the shooting, but damn.  Driving through the jungles at slow speeds, then random dudes chase you at twice the speed you can go and bust up your Jeep, then you have to get out and fight them, a lot of times you'll be killed by a straggler in a Jeep running straight at you while you're fighting off the rest of his buddies.  It just got to repetitive and slow for me to finish it.

Edit:  Also, yes, the whole malaria thing was just garbage.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

I freaking loved that game but I agree the malaria thing was an annoyance. The enemies were tough enough as it is, they didn't need to add something like the malaria to make it "realistic".

Colf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Colf

There was no in fighting. Enemies only attacked you. That was bs. I could only think of one instance where there was two groups fighting, the very beginning, and that was a scripted sequence.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Driadon

There are times, though, that the maleria thing gave me a couple neat experiences, like one time where I got an attack while driving on a bridge. The malaria hit, I lost control of the car, and sort of  "came to" in the river below confused as to where the hell I was until I got oriented and took my peelz. It made that aspect a bit more immersive in that front, but yeah, it could be annoying as hell in the middle of a fire fight.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By butano

Eh. Malaria was kinda dumb, and the enemies respawning at every checkpoint was a hassle.
    The thing I loved about the game was the fire.
    But overall, the game was meh to me.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By spaceturtle

I kinda "liked" Far Cry 2. But I have to say, I do not consider FC2 a open world game AT ALL! Where is this open world I ask? There were only the same dusty ol' roads over whole of "Africa" and every 500m there were another one of those stupid faction control points screwing with you when traveling from A to B. And the dumbest thing about the control points was that after you had killed all enemys stationed there, they would respawn next time you were passing by. Damn, how annoying that was. Still, the gameplay was pretty alright overall. But FC2 is definitely not a solid FPS, which is too bad. Cause it has a lot of potential...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I got through maybe 7% of the game, gave up and returned it. Too slow, and I did not like the feel of the combat.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Glad I picked it up super cheap in a steam sale because I haven't played more than a few hours of it. The game just didn't grab me at all.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Meltac

I loved the idea behind the game, and at some parts it worked fine, but apart from that it was just badly executed, which ruined it. I myself gave up at 23 %, was too bored and annoyed to keep playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The checkpoints and the bad AI ruined the game for me. You can buy the cammo suit along with silenced weaponry and hide in a bush, but as soon as you fire a single shot every enemy within a mile will know EXACTLY where you are.

I gave up when I unlocked the second map, about 40% in I guess.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By singular

Did you experience something like this?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.