Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 4

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

The Fallout series continues in a post-apocalyptic Boston, Massachusetts.

What are the chances we'll be seeing a multiplayer DLC for Fallout 4?

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Not saying it should get one, but seeing how the devs tested this idea during production of the game, do you guys think a multiplayer DLC is a possibility?

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By plop1920

I do think the fallout and elder scroll games have a place for coop with 1 or 2 other players, but I don't know how it could be incorporated when one player has completed quests that others haven't. I suppose they could do it like borderlands, where the host determines what quests are available. Still with all openworld jank that comes along with these games (for better or worse) it seems like it would be difficult- from a layman's perspective.

The idea of having a DLC specific area/ quest chain for multiplayer doesn't interest me too much- I want coop for the whole game. If not they should continue to focus on single player content imo

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The same chances that Kojima is just on vacation.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Zero.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The engine is broken enough as it is.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just gimme Fallout Online.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctortran: Gotta feel like that's coming down the pipe in the future.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jctango: I certainly hope so. I. Just not sure how they would do the different locations and stuff with like ESO. It'd certainly be interesting.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Zero.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Zero.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is zero chance, in this engine. I just don't believe it was built for it.

Personally, I would VERY much like a "minimally multiplayer online game". I just want a big open world and only 2 or 3 other players to be able to impact it. people I know, not random people on the internet. I think that would be fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damnit everyone...I was drinking when I read this thread.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man, that shit would be so incredibly busted. I have...well, zero, faith that Bethesda could even pull it off, whatever it would be. There is not a universe in the multiverse, within my mind, where Bethesda Game Studios produces a multiplayer component in their game that isn't broken on every level imaginable.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BladedEdge

It could make for a fun co-op experience, but as a drop in drop out multi-player? Like, the game is meant to be a sandbox where a single person goes out to be the big hero. Everything the MMO world is designed to create the illusion of..only you really are the only one for the job, not you and the 999,999 other people who are on the same quest line.

Its got branching plot points, and one player coming in and completely a quest before you get too it would either A-result in you losing out on game experience or B-essentially repeating content that had already been done..and the world having to reset, or simply remove the element that gives it your own touch and mark making it..yah. MMO.

I could see a dedicated attempt made for a in person co-op experience to work out. With one person playing Main and the other a replacement for the side kick. Maybe both back choices but and a coin-flip wins or something. But that would be a whole differnt thing and not, at least from what it seems, what these games were ever designed to be.

So yah, zero.zero.zero percentage chance. Everyone's given that answer I Just sorta..explained why in more detail as I see it. There are plenty of games of this sorta kinda nature that are multi-player. The bethesda rpgs are a unique style of RPG, that only exist once ever 3-4 years, we fans of them would be rather appauled, I think, to see the multi-player element to get forced in. in the same way most people wanted Kotor 3..not SWOTR.

If, instead, we got multi-player like the Mass effect/dragon age games did it? That would be worth discussion. But trying to turn these games into multi-player sanboxes essentially breaks the unique formula that gets lots of us coming back, despite the jank.

IMO Bethesda's style and multi-player are like, opposing forces. Its one, or the other. At least, as I said, in the same game space.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Loading Video...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jctango said:

@doctortran: Gotta feel like that's coming down the pipe in the future.

Interplay had been working on it, but they lost the rights to it after failing to produce anything after so much time.

Anyway, to the OPs question, I think there's a 100% chance that there is a 0% chance we see multiplayer in Fallout 4.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#26  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@bananasfoster said:

There is zero chance, in this engine. I just don't believe it was built for it.

Personally, I would VERY much like a "minimally multiplayer online game". I just want a big open world and only 2 or 3 other players to be able to impact it. people I know, not random people on the internet. I think that would be fun.

Dark Age of Camelot and a couple of other MMO's use the Gamebryo engine too, but, yeah, Bethesda have modified it a lot over the years. Considering not even the modders have gotten multiplayer to work particularly well with Oblivion or Skyrim, it's pretty unlikely to happen - and I'd say modders would have a better chance of doing it well than Bethesda with their track record.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

None. This engine barely functions well in single player at times, I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue when you add netcode in to the mix.

A mod isn't out of the question though, the groundwork has already been laid with Tamriel Online for Skyrim.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like them to do it. But I doubt it.

I'm holding out hope for Chinese Stealth Armor and a motorcycle...

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@plop1920 said:

I do think the fallout and elder scroll games have a place for coop with 1 or 2 other players, but I don't know how it could be incorporated when one player has completed quests that others haven't.

Think of it like this. You'd summon other players into your game to basically act as your companion.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@plop1920 said:

I do think the fallout and elder scroll games have a place for coop with 1 or 2 other players, but I don't know how it could be incorporated when one player has completed quests that others haven't.

Think of it like this. You'd summon other players into your game to basically act as your companion.

Yeah, that's exactly how I would do it. The host is the only one able to affect the state of the world and other players can jump in to participate in combat and maybe base-building.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yates said:

None. This engine barely functions well in single player at times, I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue when you add netcode in to the mix.

A mod isn't out of the question though, the groundwork has already been laid with Tamriel Online for Skyrim.

All of that palaver has gotten out of hand. The engine works well the VAST majority of the time, considering what it's doing. The game allows users to create their own character, use a custom body shape, and then use that body with an exponential number of different combinations of hats, scarves, jackets, capes, etc. I was actually EXTREMELY impress that the character created faces were able to emote as well as they do. Things like an eyebrow raise being pulled off correctly when the eyebrow shape can be millions of diffrent sizes isn't a trivial concept.

People don't give Fallout enough credit for what it IS doing.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:
    @the_ruiner said:
    @plop1920 said:

Yeah, that's exactly how I would do it. The host is the only one able to affect the state of the world and other players can jump in to participate in combat and maybe base-building.

Another way to do it would be to have a separate Coop area that both players spawn into, similar to the DLC areas. It's full of tons enemies, dungeons and loot, but no real in depth quests. And both players get to keep whatever they find for their single player game.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even a little.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.