Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Elite

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 20, 1984

Created by Ian Bell and David Braben, this space trading / combat game was revolutionary; combining wireframe 3D graphics with open-ended gameplay to create a distinct gaming experience. Originally released for the BBC Microcomputer in 1984.

25 years of Elite

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

Edited By zeus_gb

Happy 25th Birthday Elite and may you always be considered an outstanding game.

I honestly find it astounding that this awesome game had trouble finding a publisher because it didn't have a high score table.  Lucky Acorn Soft weren't of the high score table / three lives mentality and released it on it's original platform the BBC Micro.  I remember using the BBC Micro at school with it's distinctive black keyboard and orange function keys, oh man do I feel old now.

BBC Micro:
    MOS Technology 6502 chip running at 2MHz (the same processor used in the Atari 800 XL , Commodore VIC-20 and the Apple IIe etc.  It's direct successor the 6510 was used in the Commodore 64).
    32K RAM
    8 colours
    640x256 pixel resolution
    4 channel SN76489 sound chip

A mighty machine and worth a purchase just to play some of the BBC's games.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By zeus_gb

Happy 25th Birthday Elite and may you always be considered an outstanding game.

I honestly find it astounding that this awesome game had trouble finding a publisher because it didn't have a high score table.  Lucky Acorn Soft weren't of the high score table / three lives mentality and released it on it's original platform the BBC Micro.  I remember using the BBC Micro at school with it's distinctive black keyboard and orange function keys, oh man do I feel old now.

BBC Micro:
    MOS Technology 6502 chip running at 2MHz (the same processor used in the Atari 800 XL , Commodore VIC-20 and the Apple IIe etc.  It's direct successor the 6510 was used in the Commodore 64).
    32K RAM
    8 colours
    640x256 pixel resolution
    4 channel SN76489 sound chip

A mighty machine and worth a purchase just to play some of the BBC's games.

synt4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By synt4x

Hehe I remember this game. Though I never played it on the BBC Micro, only the Atari ST. It is indeed a very deep game that takes a while to get into, but once you do it is a really great game. I must say though that I prefer Elite II over the first one :)

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jonnyboy

Elite, wow 25 years already, I feel old. Really old.

Thinking about this game, always brings me back to the eternal question 'Shaded or Unshaded polygons?'

ooeloo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ooeloo1

i had an question. 

the Game Elite, how long does it play  average to become the ELITE titel?? 

its a question on an lottery ^^ and i dont now it. 

answer options: 1 week, 3 weeks, 4 months or 1 year. 

pls help me =/    
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

Didn't really get into Elite that well (maybe because I was way too young to appreciate it) but reading about and thinking it, it\'s quite impressive for what it achieved at the time.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By nanikore

You guys are old.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Driadon

I feel sad for missing out on this game when it came out on the Atari ST. That said, I have put a couple hours into the DOS port. I never ended up doing a whole lot, but it did give me an incentive to look into more open ended space sims, which brought me to some of my current loves like EVE and X3.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zeus_gb
    @ooeloo1: 

If I remember rightly you get Elite ranking after 6400 kills so depending on how you play the game it could take months.
    zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeus_gb
    @Driadon: 

You should still be able to play the ST version with an emulator like STEem or SainT and a ROM.  Automation CD14 or Pompey Pirates CD2 both have a copy of the game on them.  I used the Pompey Pirates version back in the day.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

Still got my Speccy copy, somewhere. 

We had a Beeb in school also. I recall the first thing I asked the teach was if it played games.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Driadon
    @zeus_gb: Either do that or just throw a copy of it onto a floppy and play it on my still working ST. I'll find someway to give it a go again.
    pikeplacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By pikeplacer

The only tow games I have for the system are Bar Billards and some other game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.