Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2016

Concept »

The twenty-second annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 14-16, 2016 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

So now that console gaming is dead which graphics card should I invest in?

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Always been a console gamer but these half steps pretty much ruined it for me I guess I'm going PC. With the new cards coming which would you invest in? Not looking for the top of the line but something like the 1070 is more in my ballpark.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

I guess I'm getting a 1070. Seems like a great year to upgrade despite what new card you get.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That said, the 1070 sounds pretty good.
    That said, the 1070 sounds pretty good.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When are the AMD cards supposed to be available for the public and is there anything comparing them the nvidia cards yet?

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CheapPoison

Man, I love this topic already.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're looking at 1080p, the 1070 should last you a while.

However, as a primarily PC gamer since I had to mess with memmaker to get my mouse, joystick, AND sound card to work so I could play TIE Fighter, if the thought of plunking down $5-600 every 4 years on an optional console upgrade to get the best graphics you can get, you'll still be spending that amount of money on upgrading your PC.

manqy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamin724: The AMD RX 480 is coming out at the end of the month. From what I've read it's roughly as powerful as a GTX 980, and it only costs $200. There aren't any benchmarks out for it yet, but it's looking a lot more tempting to me than AMD's other cards in the past.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

this is the end of dog racing. :(

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the secret to PC gaming, if you've been ok with playing on consoles so far you really don't need to buy a high-tier graphics card at all. Even if you buy a budget card your games will probably look and run as good (if not still better) than what you're used to. The high-end cards are only for people that has to play on max settings with butter smooth framerates, neither of which consoles are close to achieving.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manqy: Yep this is where I'll probably go as well. My card is pretty old but 200 bucks to run MOST games at high quality 1920X1200 is more than enough for me, and the price point is amazing. I'm waiting to see some more benchmarks first, but if things look good I'll probably pick one up.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you're gaming beyond 1080p and want a card to last for a while then get a gtx 1080 otherwise the 1070 is your answer.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see console gaming as dead. Just sometimes misguided. So far I have been most excited about the Sony stuff. God of War and Horizon look amazing. I am interested in Spiderman PS4 as well. Microsoft was a real disappointment with exclusives as I will buy most multi platform games for my gaming laptop that outperforms my PS4 and Xbox 1 by a large margin. I have to see if my Wii U controller still holds a charge so I can play Zelda if it ever comes out. I derive most of my gaming pleasure from my PS4 and gaming laptop. Take that as you will.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OurSin_360

1070 is still pretty close to the top of the line, if your not at 1440p, 144hz or 4k then a 480x might be a good choice when it's released for about 200 less than a 1070. I'm debating on whether to upgrade from my 980 to a 1070 or a 1080 or just wait for the TI version next year.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Siphillis

RX480 and GTX 1070 are the best bang-for-your-buck. As for the rest of the build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K

Motherboard: Any 1150-pin offering from Gigabyte, Asus, ASRock. or MSI

Memory: 8GB DDR3

Storage: Samsung or Intel SSD

Power Supply: any 650+W offering from EVGA, Seasonic, Coolermaster, or Corsair

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTX1070 if you are playing at 1080p or 1440 at 60hz. GTX1080 for anything 60hz+ or a resolution higher than 1080p or 1440p.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

1070 is a great card with Titan X performance for a lower price but it is still the price of a new console. RX480 is about half the price and is expected to be powerful enough for 1080p gaming, no one knows the performance yuet but it is expected to be anywhere from a 970 to a 980.. I'd say 1070 is more for 1440p and 1080 for even higher. But if you have the money then 1070 is a great buy and more future proof.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

RX480 and GTX 1070 are the best bang-for-your-buck. As for the rest of the build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K

Motherboard: Any 1150-pin offering from Gigabyte, Asus, ASRock. or MSI

Memory: 8GB DDR3

Storage: Samsung or Intel SSD

Power Supply: any 650+W offering from EVGA, Seasonic, Coolermaster, or Corsair

Why get an old processor? Skylake is were it is at now get a 6600K or a 6700K if you can afford it. And 16GB of RAM! Games are starting to demand more than 8GB. Mirror's Edge Catalyst recommends 16GB for example.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not dead and get 1070 once the prices go down to non ludacris levels

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rinsatori: No it is not dead yet but it is looking more and more like a dying cause. Microsoft has everything on PC from now on. If the PS4 Neo leaves the original PS4 owners in the dust then no thanks I am not spending $400 every 2-3 years, would rather just get a PC. And Nintendo well sure I guess the NX is probably the only thing that really has my interest.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deepcovergecko

I have to agree, why would I spend money buying a console addon when I can just upgrade my PC?

Unlike a console, I use my PC for much more than gaming, it makes little sense. PS4 exclusives are not strong enough for me to upgrade to a Neo.

Microsoft's move to put everything on Windows 10 has 'ruined' any chance for me to ever buy an Xbox now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamin724: Not everything and if you have paid any attention you know thats not how its going to work.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rinsatori: can you give examples? I know the stuff already out on Xbox are exclusive but everything going forward was for both PC and Xbox that I saw.

As far as PS neo it is an unknown quantity at this moment. Games will have to be released on both systems but we don't know if it will run like shit on original ps4.

Musai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interested in a 1070 or an RX 480 and an XONE S for backcompat stuff.

I'm not sure that console gaming is "dead" - there are plenty of people who will pick up Scorpio who have no interest in PC building. I'm all for giving consumers more options.

soiledsanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

consoles are far from dead

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the new, "I'm moving to Canada"?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.