Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

Duke Nukem Forever 2001 Leaked

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glots

No new posts on this sub-forum for the last nine years, huh? Well your wait is now over!

https://duke4.net/duke-nukem-forever-2001-content-4chan-leak/

The 2001 build of DNF (Unfinished type of) got leaked and will be supposedly released for the public in June. It seems like the real deal, according to George B, who worked as the original director back then, before Gearbox finally took over.

The Duke Nukem Forever that eventually came out was terrible and unless a potential new Duke game isn’t built around him being a washed-up action hero, I probably won’t care…but I remember my younger-self who watched the below trailer probably a hundred times all those years ago, building up crazy expectations in my head, so I’m still curious to try this thing if it actually does get released, even with it not being a finished product.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good for historical purposes that this has leaked. It would be interesting to compare it to the final game and see what they achieved in the 10 years between this build and the final game. I'd imagine this build would have felt more modern in 2001 than the final did in 2011.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like the build is already out. I’m curious if they could play something like this on UPF.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Very interesting as a historical artifact. Watching that old trailer definitely reminds me why people were once hyped for a Duke Nukem game. I wonder if Gearbox will ever attempt to make a new one.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried it myself and it's a curious thing. Obviously it's in an unfinished state, but the shooting doesn't feel terrible for a game originally meant to come out twenty years ago and the level design seems fine for the time. It also looks surprisingly sharp for a UE1 game and there's bunch of neat tech stuff (glass windows don't just break identically each time when you shoot/kick them) and the amount of interaction you have with the world seems like something you'd expect from a follow-up to Duke Nukem 3D.

I'm curious whatever there'll be an actual, fully-realized game to play one day, when modders really sink their teeth into this.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

E! D! F!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

“You should heavily temper expectations.”

Lol don’t think you have to worry about that

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was under the impression this build was further along as in almost content complete. Probably some embellishment over the years, though.

I appreciate how quick it looks.

Avatar image for charaznablecustom
    CharAznableCustom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not related specifically to this build but I have a question: why don't people talk more openly about the fact that Duke Nukem's most quotable lines are all stolen?

"Hail to the King, baby!" is from Army of Darkness.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum" is from They Live!.
    "I'm gonna rip off your head and shit down your neck" is from Full Metal Jacket.

I'm sure there's others but these are the ones I hear most often. And I understand the ideas of reference comedy and parody but even if that's the intended use in the games it feels like when people talk about Duke Nukem being good they reference those lines as if they're part of the Duke Nukem property and not references. Maybe people talked about this when Duke was relevant in the 90s but I want to put this rant out somewhere on the internet in my own words.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shindig

Probably because it's not worth discussing. It only gets interesting if he quotes stuff that's specifically not from action movies.

• "I'll have what she's having."
    • "Love means never having to say you're sorry."
    • "I like my coffee like my men."
    • "Milk was a bad choice."

Man, random quote generator Duke could've been special.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say that trailer is pretty damn good for a 90's game. I see now why people were excited for this. Too bad the real thing couldn't live up to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.