Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 11, 2009

The most recent installment of the "Dragon Quest" franchise debuts exclusively on the DS. It features 4 player co-op and turn-based combat.

Good entry point for DQ series?

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By wosifat

I don't have a DS.  I have a PS2.  I'm enjoying the quick look of this game.  I could use a good JRPG.  What game would be a good entry to the series for me?  (Or rather, re-entry, as I borrowed and beat a copy of Dragon Warrior (aka Dragon Quest one for the NES) from my cousins who lived up the hill at the time?)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

If you don't have a DS, you might want to try hunting down Dragon Quest VIII.

JuanSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JuanSolid

Agreed that one is a good entry point, or if you happen to be able to play DW4 or the remake, is pretty much what the series is about IMO.

The original was ok, but when they made 2 and later they experimented a lot. 2 introduced more characters and a better story line, 3 is like this game, or I should say this game is like 3, and that one had a more elaborate story line and than there is 4. I must have played and beat that game over 50 times. It's very linear, but you get 9 characters, a battle swap out system, and a origin story to play through with each character. I want to say this game had a lot of 'first time done' moments in RPG series. I had never heard of a swap out system, in the middle of battle no less, until this game. Heck I am trying to think if it was this game or FF6 that came out first with the whole over how many characters you can fit in your party. It's a tough choice, but I would play DW4 again over FF6 if I was forced to choose.

tuque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By tuque

Dude! Get a DS! You won't regret it. I just got my DS a few weeks ago (in anticipation of getting DQ9) and I can't believe it took me this long to get one. I got a DSi bundled with Bowser's Inside Story and that game is 20+ hours of freaking fabulous JRPG splendor right there. Seriously, Bowser's Inside Story has earned a place in my   Top 10 JRPG's of All Time! 

But, DQ8 is on that list too. And you can get DQ8 used from GameStop for about $10. Heck of a deal!

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Definitely play DQ8, it's really good. If I had to rank the best in the series, I'd say 8>=5>3>All the others (haven't played 9 yet). The remakes of 4 and 5 on the DS are worth playing too, if you wind up getting one for 9.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ttocs

If the 3DS wasn't around the corner, I'd tell you to go out and pick up a DS Lite used for like 90 bucks and then get the game.  But, if money is tight, listen to the other guys on the thread because they are all making good entry level recommendations for the DQ series.

JamesBoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By JamesBoyce

If you don't have a DS, don't go out and buy a DS just for this game.  As good as it is, I wouldn't recommend that.  Check Amazon or eBay for Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King.  It's one of the finest RPGs made, and surely one of the very, very best in the last ten years.  It's very traditional as I'm sure you already know, but it's extremely charming, the character's are great, it has a phenomenal soundtrack, the world is grand and fleshed out, its a joy to explore.  I think Dragon Quest VIII is probably the best introduction to the series, go for that... best of all you'll be able to pick it up real cheap now, I'd imagine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.