Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dota 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 09, 2013

The official free-to-play sequel to the Warcraft III custom scenario that originally popularized the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena sub-genre.

So thinking of getting back into Dota 2

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I played about 96 hours of dota according to my steam account, i started after watching daily dota and seeing how fun the game could be. So i started playing with giantbomb people mostly, never formed a real tight party with someone but learned quite a bit about the game thanks to some friendly people.

Then i just kind of stopped, i started playing HoTS a while back and sunk some time and money into that. I like the more casual style of play there but i find it's missing something. So lately i've been thinking to getting back into the game. But again i feel that sense of dread of actually playing Dota 2. Those pvp shakes hit me hard while i play the game with people i really don't know.

So i wanted to ask how the giantbomb community is in the game? still going strong? Still place for noobs like me?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Dota 2 seems bigger than ever. That might the be usual TI rush in interest though.

If you just want casual play and have a good general working knowledge of a large number of heroes (or can fake it), All random Deathmatch mode I find to be a low pressure high shenanigans way to play it.

Avatar image for amakakeruhiruyunohirameki
    Amakakeruhiruyunohirameki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they release Pit Lord this year :D
    And yeah Dota 2 has now Dota Reborn. It has a lot of custom maps and modes where you can play different game features and modes.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By gutterkisser

I'm itching to try again now that TI has wrapped up. I've drifted in and out the past couple of years - usually around TI - but it rarely goes well.

The key is obviously playing with folks who can tolerate inexperience and are willing to communicate/offer suggestions, and the GB Dota community seems cool in this regard.

Unfortunately I'm in the wrong time zone for most (Aus) and wind up matchmaking with randoms most of the time. Nothing kills my motivation faster than an evening getting crushed in silence, with no idea what to do and no communication from the team.

Part of me wonders if I should just try one of the more simplified mobas, but Dota just seems like a more compelling package overall.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I stack pretty regularly with people in the Giantbomb chat room. As long as you let them know you're pretty new, then nobody will mind and they're generally very laid back and helpful. I'd start there. What time zone are you on?

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syndrom said:

I played about 96 hours of dota according to my steam account, i started after watching daily dota and seeing how fun the game could be. So i started playing with giantbomb people mostly, never formed a real tight party with someone but learned quite a bit about the game thanks to some friendly people.

Then i just kind of stopped, i started playing HoTS a while back and sunk some time and money into that. I like the more casual style of play there but i find it's missing something. So lately i've been thinking to getting back into the game. But again i feel that sense of dread of actually playing Dota 2. Those pvp shakes hit me hard while i play the game with people i really don't know.

So i wanted to ask how the giantbomb community is in the game? still going strong? Still place for noobs like me?

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I really like HotS but there is a lot to like about Dota. I just stink because the game is so mechanically dense you can have decent game sense and decision making and still be total rubbish. I dunno if you saw the special match at TI5, but they're gonna be testing out a 10 v 10 on the Reborn client that looks PRETTY FUCKING DUMB in the best possible way.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lashe: Not sure if you were replying to me but I'm in Australia - awkward time difference with US, a little better with EU. GB chat is pretty quiet when I'm on.

Just got crushed again, my team was so severely outmatched I didn't even learn anything. I figured probability would at least throw me a close game at some point but it's been straight losses upon returning. Not sure I have the resolve for much more of that.

...Christ, Dota makes me such a melodramatic sap!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SSully

The giantbomb community isn't nearly as strong or high in numbers as it used to be, but there is always people on the main chat that are down to play for the most part.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredddi43: Thanks, I'll add you next time I'm on. Seems like EU folk getting some lunchtime Dota in are my best bet for an evening game.

@ssully: The chat is a little deceptive, it often looks dead but there's usually a response or two. I'm just hesitant to initiate games given my skill level.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Take it from someone who's spent far too much time on that game to be comfortable admitting in a public forum. If you got out, STAY OUT. I am still shackled to this great, parasitic beast, but it's tendrils have yet to imbed themselves in your uncorrupted heart, so run, dream and live in my stead. I am beyond such things now and cannot ever experience joy, true love, the feeling of wet dew against the soles of my feet or the smell of a newborn baby's head. So please, anonymous internet guy, do me this one favour and speak to me no more, taunt me not with your potential, and go be free.

Alternatively, this meta's the best DOTA's ever been, so you could come join us here in the pit. Speaking of which, Pitlord should soon be released judging by the schedule of previous years. And boy, that hero's fun.. He's so.. So... So.. Fun.. Excuse me, I need to be alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.