Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 25, 2014

An expansion to Diablo III that adds the Crusader class, a new area called Westmarch, and a new evil to fight in Malthael, the angel of death.

Season 2 Tips for "New" Player

Malanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have not played Diablo 3 much since Reaper of Souls came out. Missed the whole of Season 1 but looking to get into the action in Season 2. Anyone have tips for jumping back in? Last I checked, Nephalem Rifts were a new thing. So, yea...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@malanon: Play the season on normal to get through it and unlock the ability to play in adventure mode and then go into that at a higher difficultly to get to 70. After that, yeah rifts.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MezZa

If you have adventure mode unlocked, don't bother with the story. If you don't you'll have to beat the story one time before you can get to the farming part of the game. You do not have to beat the Act V story each time a new season starts if you have beaten it already. I saw some of my friends and clan mates make this mistake in season 1. The tips I give will assume you have access to adventure mode.

To lvl up run nothing but bounties. Act 1 bounties specifically. They're the easiest and most predictable. If you want the fastest lvl up time, don't do any bounties that involve killing bosses or the fields of misery map. They take too long compared to the others due to the size and random nature of the maps. Skeleton King might be ok since he's always in the same place, but killing him still takes a chunk of time unless you're completely wrecking your difficulty level. (in which case you're better off just raising the difficulty) Doing this means you will almost never fully complete a set of bounties, but you don't need to open any caches until level 70 anyway. The loot you get from them will be mostly meaningless pre-lvl 70. Play on whatever difficulty lets you kill white mobs in 2-3 three hits. Speed is key because you're mainly just looking for racking up those individual mission rewards as fast as possible for xp.

By the time you're 70 you'll have a ton of rift fragments. Run rifts with these. There is a 100% drop rate bonus to legendaries in them, so farming outside of rifts is largely pointless. You'll want to get to at least torment 1 as quickly as possible so torment-only legendaries drop, but don't run torment if you can't clear the rifts safely and in a decent amount of time. Speed is key to finding the rarest items. The faster you kill elites and get blood shards, the more legendaries you get. The more legendaries you get, the more likely you are to get that ultra rare item. If you can't do it fast, don't do it. Once you get to this rifting phase at lvl 70, only do bounties when you need to get more fragments to get into the rifts except for one exception that I will mention in a bit.

Occasionally you'll get greater rift trial keys. If you want to do greater rifts before you're geared, fail the trials to get a level one key and work your way up to the double digits. Unless you're pretty well geared and on torment difficulty you probably won't be able to go to high into the ranks though. While you're gearing, the main benefit of greater rifts is that the extremely low level rifts provide easy and quick runs with chances for a couple legendaries at the end of each run. That's why if you do this for farming right away, you'll want to start at level 1 and stay low. Once you're geared and can take it better, go higher for rankings and whatnot.

That's basically all there is to the game right now. The game is fairly simple as far as farming goes. Gamble at Kadala for all your specific legendary and set needs. She's ridiculous in terms of getting what you want. If you have to play the story mode because you haven't beaten it yet, it just means you'll level a lot slower and won't have fragments built up when you hit 70, so you'll have to do bounties immediately. Oh, once you can play t6, farm act 1 bounties on torment 6 for a royal ring of grandeur. They drop from the act 1 bounty cache's and are critical in a majority of the builds in the game. Farming for it on torment 6 guarantees a legendary from the cache meaning a guaranteed chance at the ring each time. You may find it before you get to t6 if you're lucky in your bounties. If not, you'll get it when you can play t6.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question!

So during Season 1 I tried out that thing (the name escapes me) where you start a new character and lock out your access to your other stuff (so you don't have your paragon levels, you can't transfer items, etc). Essentially, it's like you just started the game fresh when you play that specific character. The point of doing this was to get early access to the new items for that season while playing that character.

Anyways, I ended up not playing after lvl 40ish because I got too busy. Now that S1 is over, will that character still be "isolated" when I go back to play? Or will she now have access to the rest of my stuff?

I'm on a new PC at the moment, and gave my old PC to my brother, so I can't exactly check without installing D3. I'm tempted to start playing again, but I'm a bit put-off about having to play that character out-of-season. I'd like to know this before I commit to the hefty download!

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@onlykris: As far as I know, everything from your season 1 characters rolls into your main progression and stuff at the end of the season. Gold, achievements, paragon XP, crafting recipies. Season 1 characters are converted to regular nonseason characters and season 1 only drops drop in all modes with everything else, except new season 2 drops.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@mentaldisruption: I hate bringing up an old thread for something only tangentially roeated, but when you talk about doing bounties without completing sets, how do you go about that? I'm playing on the PS4 and haven't seen any sort of way to repeat Act I bounties without clearing the whole set.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By MezZa

@sparky_buzzsaw: I'm not sure if its different on consoles, but on the pc you just finish the individual bounty quests you want to finish, leave the game and go back to the character/difficulty selection menu, and then recreate the world instance by hitting play. If you're in a party, everyone has to exit out to this screen otherwise you will just rejoin the same world with whoever is still in it. This will reset all of the bounties, drops on the ground, bosses, etc. etc. Rinse and repeat. You basically just have to quit out and refresh the entire world to get a new set of Act 1 bounty quests. You cannot reset them from within the same game instance unfortunately. (unless console is different, of course.)

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.