Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 22, 2000

A celebrated cyberpunk-themed first-person role-playing game, Deus Ex puts players behind the shades of JC Denton--an operative thrust into a world of byzantine global conspiracies.

Deus Ex 1 run: Should I go modded or Vanilla?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mordukai

What do you guys think? Been having the itch to play this. Wondering if this time I should take the time to mod it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Go Vanilla since it's better to experience it in it's pure, unfiltered form but if you can find a HD pack then it might be worth using. I know there was one floating a few years back but I don't think it was ever finished. But yeah, as a big fan of the game I'd just suggest you play it straight out. There's nothing more to add really.

Once you've finished it then it's worth checking out The Nameless Mod, a single player mod that's stand alone from the main game. I haven't played it since it hates my computer for no apparent reason but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By kindgineer

Modded. You can only add more fun when mods are added to the game. More quests, better textures, more dialog; How can that be a bad thing?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TobbRobb

"this time" means you've played it before? If it's first run, go vanilla, otherwise I guess it doesn't matter. I can't remember any cool mods other than graphical ones though, and they are always worth it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By NTM

@ccampb89 said:

Modded. You can only add more fun when mods are added to the game. More quests, better textures, more dialog; How can that be a bad thing?

Wouldn't that just take things out of canon? Why would you want to do that the first time through?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kindgineer

@NTM said:

@ccampb89 said:

Wouldn't that just take things out of canon? Why would you want to do that the first time through?

What dictates true canon in a game that doesn't really stretch past it's own title? If there are great mods out there that can add to the game, who the heck cares?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai

@eroticfishcake: @ccampb89: @TobbRobb: @NTM: Thinking I might just grab the graphical mods and leave anything that changes the game itself.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kindgineer

@mordukai said:

@eroticfishcake: @ccampb89: @TobbRobb: @NTM: Thinking I might just grab the graphical mods and leave anything that changes the game itself.

No shame in that!

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By predator

I recommend the DX10 renderer. I think there was also something to fix the HUD size.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Just get the hi-res texture mods and whatnot. The game is good enough to stand on its own without any sort of additional content.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Strife777

There's a specific mod that updates around 75% of the textures in the game. It's one of the more popular ones, so it shouldn't be hard to find. I'm planning and playing it as well and I'm going to get that one.

Other than graphical mods, I don't think you should change anything.

Edit: Deus Ex: New Vision is what it's called.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By mfpantst
    @mordukai said:

Good call.  For me, alot of the graphical and sound engine is broken in vanilla form on a modern computer.  But do nothing to change the story.  That deserves to remain unchanged.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By fox01313

Agreed with others, stick to the mods that help out with the graphics/audio then do another run through with the quest additions to see those.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.