Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 23, 2016

Following up two years after Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mankind Divided sees Adam Jensen working to thwart a terrorist organization bent on promoting human augmentation. It serves as a prequel to Deus Ex, the first entry in the series.

An announcement trailer!

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl

Looks like the destroy ending was the canon one after all? Maybe they did a mix of all the endings like in invisible war?

Anyway the game looks like it's going to retain a bunch of lethal and no lethal methods with a much wider variety of melee and augment weapons. Teleport move a la dishonored? Also, the premise seems great. HYPE!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: thought that trailer was worth a new thread instead of being buried at page 3 of comments on an article.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By archer88

More Deus Ex? I can dig it!

@hassun: thought that trailer was worth a new thread instead of being buried at page 3 of comments on an article.

A separate thread for the trailer seems fine to me.

Bobstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That looked so good, man I can't wait!

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hook me into the machine!

Bobstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope they don't turn Adam into Superman and make him completely unstoppable. I liked how he struggled with the augmentations in HR and it kind of forced the player to use stealth as well

Trenox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Human Revolution trailer is one of my all time favs so this one had a lot to live up to and its largely repeating a lot of the same beats, because why fix what is not broken. However this one doesnt do it for me in the same way. Its simply a bit too cheesy and over the top. No weight in the action at all which the original had sadly. But it still looks promising and really well done overall.

My feelings on the game however is that we will largely get the same game as human revolution but with amped up gfx and improved mechanics. HR was super janky even for its time. But the main problem with HR was that the game was very limited in scope and didnt present a large believable world like the trailers would suggest. This made the upgrade system make very little sense because you didnt have a game world to really express your character outside a few tacked on special cases. I fear this will be the case again with such heavy emphasis on story and graphics. My hope is that Cyberpunk 2077 can give me the experience i really want rather than a souped up AAA ride. But i hope im wrong about Mankind Divided!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that was awesome.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome music. I kinda feel like I should grab HR from a Steam sale to play it again, can't remember much anything about it anymore...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Fucking. A.

Just need a release date and I'll be there day one. Loved Human Revolution, I'll likely love this one as well.

Avatar image for klragrmndfvrarg
    klragrmndfvrarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By klragrmndfvrarg

This might be a 2016 release.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is definetely making me want to go back to HR, maybe buy it on the Wii U this time. Wasn't the bosses revamped heavily in that version? Because I enjoyed the game well enough, but I never managed to complete it even with multiple tries over the years because FUCK THOSE BOSS ENCOUNTERS

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By monetarydread

@pyrodactyl said:

I think thats the right move in this forum.

I am so hype for this game. But I am kind of pissed off that they wasted a bunch of money on a fully CGI trailer. These become less and less relevant to me as they years go on.

@civid said:

This is definetely making me want to go back to HR, maybe buy it on the Wii U this time. Wasn't the bosses revamped heavily in that version? Because I enjoyed the game well enough, but I never managed to complete it even with multiple tries over the years because FUCK THOSE BOSS ENCOUNTERS

That is a great version of the game. The directors cut version on PC is garbage, but the Wii U version doesn't have the same shitty performance issues.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: Oh come on now, the Director's Cut on PC isn't garbage at all.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By archer88
    @monetarydread said:
    @civid said:

That is a great version of the game. The directors cut version on PC is garbage, but the Wii U version should be alright.

I had no issues with the PC version of the Director's Cut. Why did you find it to be "garbage"?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@trenox said:

My feelings on the game however is that we will largely get the same game as human revolution but with amped up gfx and improved mechanics. HR was super janky even for its time. But the main problem with HR was that the game was very limited in scope and didnt present a large believable world like the trailers would suggest. This made the upgrade system make very little sense because you didnt have a game world to really express your character outside a few tacked on special cases. I fear this will be the case again with such heavy emphasis on story and graphics. My hope is that Cyberpunk 2077 can give me the experience i really want rather than a souped up AAA ride. But i hope im wrong about Mankind Divided!

Well put! I hope part of the reason the environments were so small and predictable was because of the hardware and now, with some experience from the last game too, they can open things up. Level design and choice in an open environment WAS Deus Ex for me and why it's my favorite game ever. HR missed all of that.

I really like this trailer and hope that part of the formula is there this time. Also, interested to see how much the trailer represents gameplay. I know it's obviously amped up but I'm wondering if they're going to give you that many abilities with your arms or try to expand the melee to be more like the trailer.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By monetarydread

@archer88: Basically the launch version of HR came with a day 1 patch that fixed a lot of bugs that developers were not able to fix in time before disks had to be pressed. This patch fixed a massive memory leak, shadow and texture problems, missing graphical features for Nvidia users (we finally have an example of ATI being the better card at launch instead of the other way around), game-breaking bugs (like a shuttle not appearing or a key-card that falls through the floor because you didn't have a weapon equipped, forcing you to start the whole game over again), and literally fixing hundreds of other small issues.

For some reason the team that made the DC version of Human Revolution built their version off of the 1.0 verson of HR instead of the patched version. All you have to do is go onto the steam forums for the game and you will see people complaining about the PC port and suggesting that you just install the already fixed version of the game. I think it's kind of bullshit that Sqeenix has already fixed the problems in one version, yet won't spend the money to implement the fix for the Directors cut version.The biggest bummer for me is the terrible performance of the DC version. I have an i7-3770k, a GTX 980, Samsung 850 Pro, and 16gb of DDR3-2100 (it was only $10 more than the DDR3-1600 ); these specs get me an average of 200+ FPS, but I am sensitive to micro-stuttering (google the term, explaining this would take too long [Edit: Here is a Youtube Video that shows you what Micro-Stutter looks like. It is focused on Multi-GPU being the problem but the visual result is the same]) so this is a MAJOR problem for me. There is no reason why 200fps should ever feel choppier than a smooth 30fps and the patched OG version of Human Revolution didn't have this problem. (Edit 2: Here is a video showing Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut Stuttering. Again, a GTX 980 shouldn't have this problem).

Now stuttering is one of those things that you probably don't even realize until someone points it out to you, but when you learn of it it pisses you off to no end because you can see it every time.

Here is a screenshot from the original version showing the original textures.
    Here is a screenshot from the original version showing the original textures.

Here is an example of how the textures and lighting have been changed in the Directors Cut
    Here is an example of how the textures and lighting have been changed in the Directors Cut
    Here is an example of a shadows bug that was fixed in the OG version but present in the DC
    Here is an example of a shadows bug that was fixed in the OG version but present in the DC

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Man, I'm so happy. I actually did ask for this.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Would it be stupid of me to wish the actual combat in the game comes close to the combat in the trailer?

Either way, HYPED.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The two things that stood out to me were that the music is still awesome, and that Jensen's shoulders no longer look really weird. I really liked Human revolution despite the flaws, and I could definitely go for more of that.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuckin A, we're going after the Illuminati.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Know this is not quite on topic, but I didn't see the point of making a new thread about it.
    Mankind Divided is to have DX12 and TressFX support. Jensen's hair will be glorious.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Would it be stupid of me to wish the actual combat in the game comes close to the combat in the trailer?

Either way, HYPED.

I think it would be cool if Mankind Divided's upgrade path eventually could lead to combat like that if you focused solely, or almost solely on it. Human Revolution is a great game and I think it's admirable that you can beat the game no matter how you spread your points, but it's kind of disappointing that there is a single, optimal way to beat it - that is, focus on hacking, stealth, and things that help you convince other people to do and say whatever you need them to. If you want to brute force your way through the game and just play it as loudly as possible, you can, but HR clearly wasn't designed that way.

That said, I really hope they do not go too far the other way and make this a full-on action game. The last time I played Deus Ex HR, I only killed about 6 people (up until the part where Adam Jensen stows away, anyway, because everything after that kinda drops in quality by quite a bit) and that was really satisfying. If assassinating that guy is really a mission, I hope there's another way to do it, as well as a way to go in and kill everybody.

In any case, I'm definitely really interested in this game and I am going to play it. The writing in that trailer was kinda cheesy, yeah, but you're kidding yourself if you think Human Revolution was absent of cheesy writing.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You better be able to use the arm swords of your own free will this time.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@believer258: Yeah, it's probably because of how action-heavy that trailer is that I suddenly want to see Adam going balls out in combat, but it'd certainly change the tone of the gameplay too much. If you can just massacre dudes looking cool as fuck just like in that trailer, the game might end up skewing more towards that kind of direction which isn't what a lot of fans expect from the series.

And yeah, I definitely loved sneaking and talking my way through HR more than dealing with the clunky combat.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By archer88

@monetarydread:

Well that really sucks. I guess I just didn't experience any of those issues. Certainly not the micro-stuttering.

As for the screens, not exactly sure what you're trying to show. The texture was fucked up originally and they cleaned it up in the DC? I guess I'm missing something.

Edit: Looked at some comparison videos and more screens. It's been a little while since I played the DC so I'll have to check it out. Never noticed any texture issues when I was playing, and the toned down yellow filter was only apparent when I watched clips side by side.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There still going whit the icarus theme giving Jenson some neon wings.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By emfromthesea

Typically I wouldn't advocate for a game playing it safe, but there so many good ideas in Human Revolution that were simply held back by a few kinks, that I would be more than happy for them just to make another one of those with a new coat of polish. I hope they don't try to shake up the formula or turn it into a Batman Arkham game. They had something special, they just need to iterate on it.

I'm also happy that the composer is back because that music in HR was fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.