Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deliberately Retro

Concept »

Sometimes designers add old-school things on purpose to enhance game design. These games tend to be heavily inspired by hardware limitations of older systems. NES, Atari 2600, and early computer platforms (DOS, Commodore 64, MSX, etc...) are common sources of inspiration.

Will we ever see Faux-N64 or Faux-PS1 games?

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bulletstorm

There are tons of games that take inspiration from NES, Gameboy and SNES titles - but what about taking inspiration from N64 and Faux-PS1 games?  

The 3DS remakes of N64 games - they seem on the brink of  "faux-N64"? I dunno - I grew up with the N64 and PS1 - and that's a nostalgia market largely untapped.

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By eristocrat

There are already cutscenes in Amped 3 that make fun of the way FFVII looked. As far as actual homages I don't think  they will ever get remotely close to the level of new pixel games (cause pixel art can look nicer without giving away it modernocity) but I guarantee that there will be real games released that emulate the style of PS1/N64 games as soon as kids who got that as their first video game system start to become primary breadwinners for their households.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I sure hope so!

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By paradox121

I think you may need to wait til next generation.
    Its a confusing one because, at the moment at least, if you release a game with PS1-era-graphics people will still be unsure whether you're joking or not. Its too soon almost. With stuff like 8-bit, we've now got to a stage where it was so long ago, and we can actually make the 8-bit look modern in an ironic sense (see 3D Dot Game Heroes). So maybe next gen, when it'll have been going on 20 years since we had PS1 level stuff, and people actually regard it as retro.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I hope not.  A game being done in the same style of Mario 64 or something like that could be fun..  But NES/SNES games had a certain charm to them.  Many PS1 games, especially early ones just looked bad, I don't know why anyone would want to see that style emulated.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By WickedCestus

It would be funny, but certainly not very visually appealing.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By DystopiaX

Maybe for humor, but the difference between that gen and the older gens are that people play 3d games now, and to emulate them would just make them look like shit. NES/Gameboy etc. titles are mostly sidescrollers/other shit, which still basically play the same so it's less horrible to imitate.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Stete

Perhaps. But as WinterSnowBlind said, low poly 3D models with muddy textures dont even remotely hold up as sprite art. Personally I would love to see another build or doom engine FPS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.