Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Cells

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 10, 2017

Dead Cells is a metroidvania style rogue-lite set in an ever-changing castle.

My only gripe with this game, the music.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By haneybd87

I love just about everything about this game but after putting about 10 hours into it I have to say the only way it falls short is the music. It’s not that it’s bad or anything, I don’t hate it. It’s serviceable, but it doesn’t grip me. It doesn’t get stuck in my head like so many great video game soundtracks. Thinking about it right now I can’t even summon a tune from the game into my head because it’s just not memorable enough to remember. I keep trying but just end up at the Moonlighter soundtrack.

All that said I suppose I can’t expect a game to be perfect in every way. I guess it had to fall short somewhere.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of the levels have some really great tunes (I really like the first level's and I really like the Promenade's), and then there is the Clock Tower theme which just fucking rocks IMO. The rest are pretty subdued for better or worse (in some cases, like the Ossuary, I get why they're that way, but it doesn't make them any more enjoyable). The biggest problem I have with it is that the loop seems remarkably short, even for the ones I like.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: I’ve run the first level so many times and can’t even remember it. Maybe it’s because the loop is so short?

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haneybd87: to be perfectly honest, I might be conflating the first level with the Promenade because I blow through the first level so quickly now (I pretty much always go for the 2 minute door thing so I'm basically just rushing through the first level as fast as possible anymore).

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I turned the music off. Am I the only person who immediately turns the music drastically down or all the way off as soon as I start a game? I can’t stand most of it and sometimes I can barely make it through the menus before I give up and shit it down. I can’t think of the name of the fake-racing game Jason played a few times recently on UPF, but it was so annoying I muted the stream until that segment was done.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltcolumbo: I like the music a lot in many games. If something is egregiously bad or if I’m voice chatting I may turn it off but almost always leave it on.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By ToxicAntidote

I love the music in Dead Cells. I've put about 25 hours into it so far, and every run I do I usually make it far enough so that I get to hear a great variety and not getting tired of the music. My favorite so far is from High Peak Castle.

Loading Video...

catoasapun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing with a mod on steam that replaces all the OST with music from different Castlevania games. It's great.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've been playing with a mod on steam that replaces all the OST with music from different Castlevania games. It's great.

Man, I have to get in on that.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catoasapun: Sounds amazing. I want that Super Castlevania IV first level track.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By RetroMetal

@ltcolumbo: I'm that way with driving and racing games.

Back to the OP.

Dead Cells has been my favorite game for like the last year, it's about all I play anymore. All I hear in my head is the music from this game.

Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it certainly isn't an off-putting thing, to me at least.

FNGbomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I feel the same way. Anyone else have suggestions for replacement music? I'm thinking the Hyper Light Drifter soundtrack might go well.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I turned the music off. Am I the only person who immediately turns the music drastically down or all the way off as soon as I start a game? I can’t stand most of it and sometimes I can barely make it through the menus before I give up and shit it down. I can’t think of the name of the fake-racing game Jason played a few times recently on UPF, but it was so annoying I muted the stream until that segment was done.

No i feel the same way most of the time. I usually also just turn it off completely or reduce it around 50%.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By BisonHero

My problem with the soundtrack in Dead Cells is that some of the tracks just don't suit the pacing of the game. Even if you're not speedrunning to try to reach the timed doors, normal gameplay is still really fast, fluid, kinetic, [review buzz word], etc.

So you end up with tracks for levels like the sewers, ossuary, and sepulcher where the music is thematically appropriate for the spooky level you're in, but unfortunately that music is way too sparse and slow to match the frenetic pace of the gameplay. Too much of the soundtrack tries to match the mood of the background art of the level, instead of trying to match the mood of the overall game, which is energetic as hell.

Basically, more of the music should be Castlevania-esque bangers, but few tracks other than the castle theme really approach this. You guys in this thread using that Castlevania music mod probably have the right idea.

catoasapun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catoasapun said:

Man, I have to get in on that.

Here's a Workshop link in case you didnt already add it. The tracks don't really loop well (for obvious reasons) but still a major improvement over the original OST.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've also resorted to turning the music off and either running Spotify in the background or GB Infinite on the side. The music isn't terrible but doesn't feel essential to the game experience or creating atmosphere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.