Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Cells

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 10, 2017

Dead Cells is a metroidvania style rogue-lite set in an ever-changing castle.

Dead Cells on Switch

lund218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everyone!

While watching the Quick Look, I was left unsure as to wether I should bother getting the Switch version of Dead Cells or not. While it does sound like that fixing the Switch version is the developer's primary focus at the moment, would I be making a mistake buying it before those patches are made? I like the idea of being able to play it during my transit, but if the gameplay is going to be hitchy, then maybe I should pass? My other option for playing Dead Cells at the moment would be on by XBONE.

So, does anyone have the Switch version of Dead Cells? Is it working out okay for you?

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

In my experience, it's works great on Switch. I've gotten pretty deep into it and I've barely noticed any kind of framerate issues (and I played plenty of the early-access version). If you have any desire to play it portably, you should go for the switch version.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, here's the post from @gkhan from my thread about weapons people don't like. It sold me on double dipping on the game.

"No, it's not that bad. I've been playing on Switch, and it's working pretty great. I'm usually very sensitive to this stuff, and while it may not be a solid 60 at all times, the game plays great. If you only plan to play the game on a big-screen TV or whatever, then buy it on PS4 or PC. But if you think you would like it portable, you should absolutely play on the Switch."

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

@lund218: I've had the PC version since its first week in early access, and I bought the Switch version on release day. Short answer is that it doesn't perform nearly as well as the PC, but not so bad that it is unplayable by any means. Longer answer is there are some noticeable frame drops in the more graphically intense areas like the Promenade of the Condemned, in both docked and handheld mode. More frustrating are seemingly random hitches that last long enough to mask some transitions. This seems to be most likely when doing long ground pounds. Jason even commented on it happening in the PS4 version they were playing in the QL, so maybe it's an endemic problem on all of the console versions. It definitely seems more pronounced that what I saw in the QL, though. Again, it doesn't render the game unplayable by any means. I have never attributed any of my deaths on the Switch version to the performance, rather just my own error(s), for what that's worth.

Overall, I'm having a great time on the Switch version, even with less-than-ideal performance, and I'm much more likely to pick it up and play it rather than boot up my PC and be stuck at my desk, since I can knock a run or two out and put it down for a while. As to whether or not you should pick it up depends on how bothered you are by inconsistent frame rates, vs. how much you value the portable nature of the Switch, especially since there's no refunds on the eShop. I share your hope that the devs will iron out the performance with patches, and I trust that they are working on it. They claim it may not be until November until the first performance patch goes live. That seems like a long way off, but it's probably good to set a goal that's realistically achievable rather than over-promising, or being purposefully vague.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its been fine for me for the most part. there have been a few instances where the framerate craps out and the game freezes for a second and skips. its hasn't annoyed me too much yet though.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've only played for an hour or two but so far it's been fine. The only time I've noticed the frame rate drop is right at the beginning when all the hanging jars are on screen.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By RetroMetal

I've been playing this game since I saw the QL done by Dan which sold me on it.

I purchased the PC early access version the day I watched his QL and when it came out on console I purchased the XB1 and the PS4 versions (I plan on buying this on the Switch also, as I like the game so much I want to fully support the developer) and the hitching is on the XB1 and the PS4 versions. Also I've had the XB1 version crash to the dashboard twice.

I assume the hitching on the console versions are a memory limitation.

It's my favorite game of the last year.

StoneyBologna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m playing Dead Cells on the switch and I’ve ran into a couple hiccups. Not enough to ruin the game by any means. My right joy con decided to stop working a couple times and I’ve gotten weird lag when I went to make a jump my character just appeared on a platform above me while I was trying to get my bearing, wondering where I had been dropped off. Both issues have been while docked.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've noticed a hiccup or two, but nowhere near what people are saying, even when I'm burning through stages. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm glad I got it on Switch for when I'm out of the house or in another room. Barely any framerate problems here.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By haneybd87

I’ve played this on PC early access, Switch and XB1X finally and I have to say Switch is not a great way to play this for a couple of reasons. First of all the frame rate does get really bad at times. It makes the quick, precise combat flow all wrong when it happens. It throws me off and I’ve lost a considerable amount of health as a result. Secondly if you’re playing it handheld that awesome detail in the art design doesn’t come through nearly as well as on a TV. Granted you can play it in docked mode but if you’re going to play on a TV you might as well get it for a platform that doesn’t have slowdown. PC however I’ve never noticed any hitching and on XB1X I only get the very slightest of split second stutters here and there when doing things like opening a door or picking up certain items. Nowhere near the full blown slowdown for entire combat situations like on Switch.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm planning on buying on Switch. The handheld factor far outweighs any minor performance issues for me.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By haneybd87

@frodobaggins: Keep in mind that a lot of the detail doesn’t really come through on such a small screen. I had bought it on Switch then decided to get it on XB1 because of this even more than the frame rate. Such an amazing looking game.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haneybd87: yeah I'm perfectly ok with that. If I bought it on ps4 it just wouldn't end up getting played because if I'm on ps4 I'm playing Overwatch or something. Switch however I can play in a variety of different situations, such as when the tv is occupied by the Mrs or whilst I'm getting the kids to sleep etc

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ry_Ry

i bought it on Switch and I've definitely noticed frame drops. Nothing that's caused a death, but it is there. I'm very glad that I bought it on the Switch. It's such a great game to play in your hand :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.