Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Cross

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 18, 1999

The sequel to the classic Super Nintendo RPG, Chrono Cross expanded the franchise to alternate universes, adopted a turn-based combat system, and had dozens of playable characters.

My first time playing Chrono Cross.

Killer_Babomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Killer_Babomb

For the better part of my life ( I am 26) I have avoided anything but a western RPG. With a few exceptions being FFVII (go figure) and FFX. My reasoning? I couldn't really tell you. I thought it might be the mostly anime story of JRPG's, but then I thought to myself no, in high school I watched my fair share of anime. DBZ, cowboy bebop thing's of that nature. Then, I thought it might be the turn based combat that always made me turn away, not that case. In all honesty I have to chalk it up to most of my close friends hating the games, I think it rubbed of on me. Until.....

Last night my wife finally convinced me to play Chrono Cross, one of her all time favorite games. What happened after my first hour of seemingly mocking everything that happened in the game, kind of startled me. I began to enjoy it with out even knowing it at first. Before I knew it, it was 5am in the morning and I still wasn't ready to put it down. Unfortunately the grown up life has to win sometimes, and I had to call it quits because worked beckoned me the next day.

My first hours with the game, saw me fighting colorful komodo dragons and collecting there scales, fighting fat fat beach bums, and getting "Squirted" on by his buddies. On a closing note, I have to say that I HATE doors with eyeballs and never want to see one in real life ever. Mad scientist listen to me, I will HUNT you down if you ever invent this.

Killer_Babomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Killer_Babomb

For the better part of my life ( I am 26) I have avoided anything but a western RPG. With a few exceptions being FFVII (go figure) and FFX. My reasoning? I couldn't really tell you. I thought it might be the mostly anime story of JRPG's, but then I thought to myself no, in high school I watched my fair share of anime. DBZ, cowboy bebop thing's of that nature. Then, I thought it might be the turn based combat that always made me turn away, not that case. In all honesty I have to chalk it up to most of my close friends hating the games, I think it rubbed of on me. Until.....

Last night my wife finally convinced me to play Chrono Cross, one of her all time favorite games. What happened after my first hour of seemingly mocking everything that happened in the game, kind of startled me. I began to enjoy it with out even knowing it at first. Before I knew it, it was 5am in the morning and I still wasn't ready to put it down. Unfortunately the grown up life has to win sometimes, and I had to call it quits because worked beckoned me the next day.

My first hours with the game, saw me fighting colorful komodo dragons and collecting there scales, fighting fat fat beach bums, and getting "Squirted" on by his buddies. On a closing note, I have to say that I HATE doors with eyeballs and never want to see one in real life ever. Mad scientist listen to me, I will HUNT you down if you ever invent this.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Clinkz

I also hated the beginning but by the end of the game, thought it was amazing plot holes and all. Oh and the music was incredible.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By alternate

I remember liking and finishing CC. I played it before I ever played Chrono Trigger though so had none of the negative comparisons.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316
    Chrono Cross is awesome.  When I was a kid, I could either get this or Valkyrie Profile.  Kinda sad I missed out on something as rare as VP, but the sheer amount of time I put into CC was totally worth it.

@Clinkz: It is, I actually imported a Japanese book full of piano notation.  So now I get to do stuff like this (and no, that's not me).
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By tekmojo

I love Chrono Cross, you should try Legend of Dragoon, pretty decent too. I rarely play JRPGs, but when I do I go for the classics.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zella

It's one of my top 3 rpg's, and easily has one of the best original soundtracks for any game.

DudeSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By DudeSupreme

Its not perfect, but definitely one of the best PS1 rpgs. I really enjoyed the combat system they developed for it, having stamina tie together with accuracy lent a bit of strategy into attacking for big damage with little accuracy at first or getting in a few small hits to build up to a larger one. Also having magic automatically replenish after battles gave more incentive to use and be creative with your techs and spells.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TobbRobb

Chrono Cross is awesome! Best soundtrack in a game, ever.

There are so many random party members to collect, I think it was like 43? Most of them are pretty underdeveloped, but I just think the sheer number of them is cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.