Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 04, 2016

Set in futuristic 2080, the 13th entry of the Call of Duty series brings a war that spans our entire Solar System.

Infinite Warfare will have some weapons only available in supply drops

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Poll Infinite Warfare will have some weapons only available in supply drops (100 votes)

This news makes me more likely to buy the game 2%
    This news makes me less likely to buy the game 44%
    This doesn't change my opinion of the game at all 54%

Nope. Not getting this game.

Infinite Warfare = Some guns available only in supply drops, DLC maps sold separately.

Titanfall 2 = Well, there's a map that will only be available to those who pre-ordered the game, at least for three whole days. Then it becomes free for everyone, just like every map, mode and weapon will be.

The choice is clear, people. This is going to be the same crap that ruined Black Ops 3, and they're doing it from day one.

• 
    conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By conmulligan

Man, what a load of bullshit. I was open to getting this if the campaign turned out well, but Eurogamer isn't too keen on it and the multiplayer beta was all kinds of lousy so I think I'm out. I skipped Black Ops last year too, which was the first time I'd ever missed out on Call of Duty game, so I might just be over it. On the other hand, I loved Advanced Warfare, so maybe Sledgehammer will be the ones to right the ship.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Gotta fragment that userbase to get dat extra monies, yo!

Yeah, while this may make them a profit for awhile, it's really not gonna be sustainable for long. At least I really hope not.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By meptron

Last one was like this too. In BO3 the guns that would normally be included in the dlc had to be unlocked in supply drops. That is the reason i choose to not buy this year's cod and switched to titanfall. When i buy a seasons pass to a game i have exactly zero interest in engaging with some bullshit free to play style mechanic to unlock guns that used to be included in the seasons pass. Cod can go to hell.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, cod was experimenting with this approach even in advanced warfare. Towards the end of the dlc they had some extra "retro" weapons, and before you could use them you had typo find a variant in a drop. bo3 expanded on that idea and this is just the continuation of that. You can see them pushing the boundaries of what they can get away with consumers.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm getting a Killzone Shadowfall vibe from this game. An inoffensive decent shooter that feels kind of dry especially compared to previous installments.

Except that was a launch game, and as launch games go being a decent shooter with a functional multiplayer goes a long way.

I'm still curious to play it and intend to do so at some point as i've done with every Call of Duty.

OT: I dont care about the microtransactions since there are better more interesting multiplayer shooters to play at the moment.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE this trend in games. I mean, it has been going on for practically a decade now, so I guess it's not a trend and it's here to stay, and that just sucks. I hate games that put in micro-transactions to sell perks, maps, or even just cosmetic bullshit. It fundamentally changes how we think and feel as we play the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not really a CoD player so not sure what this means. How do supply drops work?

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By meptron

@dgtlty: you either buy them with real money or earn them very slowly through playing in game. You get random drops from them. Either cosmetic stuff, or now weapons.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@dgtlty said:

Not really a CoD player so not sure what this means. How do supply drops work?

In Black Ops 3, quite literally, every supply drop you opened had about a 1% chance of having a weapon. And many of those weapons were melee weapons--essentially new models for the basic combat knife--so your chances of an actual ranged weapon were even lower. And every time they'd introduce new ranged weapons, they'd also add more melee weapons.

If you were paying to open weapons, the estimated cost after factoring rarity and drop rates was around 50 dollars for each weapon.

If you didn't want to pay to open supply drops, you could earn them by getting crypto keys. A reddit poster went through a lot of testing and found the following:

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackops3/comments/46rmx9/i_tested_the_cryptokey_earn_rate_again_there_has/

• TL:DR No mode is better than another for earning crypto keys. Based off my testing you earn 29.20% of a key every minute of a match you won and 22.37% of a key every minute of a match you lost.

So maybe each game you played would be worth two or three keys. You'd have to have 30 of them to open up a supply drop with the best chance of a weapon.

As you can tell, the system was designed so that even hardcore players would never see all the weapons, unless they paid huge amounts of money.

Most of the weapons were not as good as the standard weapons, but they would all still have something unique about them. Here's a terrible SMG, except it has the fastest aim down sights time. That sort of thing. Other weapons would have different properties. A one hit kill crossbow, a ranged plasma shotgun that could reach across the map, and a gun that launched ricocheting buzzsaws are three examples. They were all fun, but not competitive weapons. That doesn't change the fact that it still feels awful to be killed by something you can't use, though.

Lastly, some weapons were actually really good. A shotgun pistol was added to the game that was especially annoying.

At launch, Black Ops 3 was my favorite COD since the original Black Ops. It's a shame that the game they released isn't the game that is available now.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By meptron
    Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an incredibly bad way to make your competitive shooter... y'know... competitive

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@spaceinsomniac: This seems like total bullshit. They didn't add this stuff to the Cod 4 remastered, right?

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivermetimbers: speaking of fragmenting, if you buy the windows store version on PC you can only play online with other Windows Store users! They have managed to split the pc user base from the get go! How's that for fragmentation :)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The most annoying thing about this game to me is I have to still have it taking up space on my hard drive to launch MW:R. I wonder if the disc counts as being in the drive if I uninstall it and make sure there isn't enough space for it to auto-install...

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You guys realize you earn credits while playing that you can spend to pay for the supply drops, right?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Since you can get the points anyway doing things other than just buying them, this doesn't bother me too much. If I was going to pick it up, this wouldn't change my mind

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#18  Edited By sammo21

I, unfortunately, pre-ordered my copy digitally. I wish I had not because Titanfall 2 is so freaking good and I absolutely hated the IW beta. This has the potential to be my least favorite COD multiplayer next to Ghosts. BLOPS3 had a surprisingly great multiplayer (even if I thought their map DLC was largely bad) so to see they basically just kind of copied that for IW along with all the weird quick scoping nonsense...it just makes me hope the single player for this game is good otherwise this might be a bust for me.

This "issue" with the supply drops isn't a big deal. You get coins pretty fast (or at least you did in BLOPS3) so you're getting supply drops every few games.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@shadow said:

Since you can get the points anyway doing things other than just buying them, this doesn't bother me too much. If I was going to pick it up, this wouldn't change my mind

@retrometal said:

You guys realize you earn credits while playing that you can spend to pay for the supply drops, right?

Read post 9 for a fully detailed explanation of how supply drops were handled in Black Ops 3. If you feel that is acceptable in a 60 dollar retail game, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

@sammo21 said:

I, unfortunately, pre-ordered my copy digitally. I wish I had not because Titanfall 2 is so freaking good and I absolutely hated the IW beta. This has the potential to be my least favorite COD multiplayer next to Ghosts. BLOPS3 had a surprisingly great multiplayer (even if I thought their map DLC was largely bad) so to see they basically just kind of copied that for IW along with all the weird quick scoping nonsense...it just makes me hope the single player for this game is good otherwise this might be a bust for me.

This "issue" with the supply drops isn't a big deal. You get coins pretty fast (or at least you did in BLOPS3) so you're getting supply drops every few games.

Every few games in Black Ops 3 is a huge exaggeration, especially if you're talking about the 30 key packs. The good news is that quick-scoping was nerfed quite a lot since the Infinite Warfare beta. At least that's what they announced. I haven't played the retail release to see for myself.

@spaceinsomniac: This seems like total bullshit. They didn't add this stuff to the Cod 4 remastered, right?

No, none of this is in COD4 Remastered. Some of it could be added later, but I think they'll stick to cosmetic DLC only with that game. There's too much pressure to keep it the same game people played all those years ago.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20  Edited By sammo21

@spaceinsomniac: I've got a few hundred hours in BLOPS3. I would get anywhere from 3-4 coins per game not including the bonus weekends they frequently did OR even the bounty system they added several months ago. I consider a few games about 5 or 6 games, which can easily be done in an hour, because they are so quick to complete. You get coins for getting rid of duplicates and you get extra coins for opening the 30 coin chests...so, no I did not make a huge exaggeration.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Hell no, Fts

It's like Activision wants to kill this series.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: I'm afraid microtransactions doesn't stop the community playing or spending.

Activision Blizzard Announces Better-Than-Expected and Record Second Quarter 2016 Financial Results

Record Quarterly Digital Revenues of Over $1 Billion

Activision had the biggest second quarter online player community in its history, with MAUs of 49 million, up 11% year-over-year. Activision continues to have four of the top ten games on current-generation consoles life-to-date, including Call of Duty: Black Ops III at No. 1.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.