Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

First Strike DLC - Your thoughts!

Gaagie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Gaagie

So, today Black Ops' first DLC 'First Strike' went online for Xbox 360. 

How many got it/will get it today? What are your thoughts so far? Going for MP or Zombies? Worth the 1200 MSP?  

You gotta love the poster
    You gotta love the poster
    bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#2  Edited By bobafettjm

I am excited to get this map pack, but cannot get any Microsoft Points until next Monday. I mostly plan on playing the online multiplayer maps, but I do plan on trying out the zombie map as well.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By l4wd0g

It's downloading right now. Pretty excited, but then I'll have to buy it again on the PS3 in a month (not so excited about that).

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Dylabaloo

Anyone have any idea what the new perks do? I got one in a machine, a purple one and have no idea what it does. Also how do I get to the pack-a-punch?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wuddel

Do perks like ghost or Ninja affect, if you get shot by the turrets on Berlin Wall?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wuddel
    @gamb1t: Either that. Or a kid that just owns this game. Also ever heard of purchasing power differences? The map pack is about the price of fast-food lunch for me. No brainer.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By gamb1t
    @Wuddel said:
    " @gamb1t: Either that. Or a kid that just owns this game. Also ever heard of purchasing power differences? The map pack is about the price of fast-food lunch for me. No brainer. "
    About the price of a fastfood lunch? you are a no brainer
    KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By KennyPowers

Played all the multiplayer levels today.  I can't tell how I feel yet.  One of the things I liked about Black Ops' original maps are that they are very non-camper friendly, especially by CoD standards.   

Stadium and Discovery both have lots of lines of sight with open areas through the middle, and so far, the games I have played on them have ended up being campfests with people just sitting in windows and balconies, laying down waiting for people.  Kowloon is a really well done map IMO.  Lots of different levels, corners, and sight lines.  If you play with a team, you can slaughter the other team once thy're pinned back. 

I can't complain about the cost because its what I thought it would be, and I will definitely get way more time/enjoyment out of this than some dumb arcade/indie game for the same price.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wuddel
    @gamb1t: How very polite of you. I simply do not live in the US. Higher income. Higher prices. Same prices on foreign goods.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Mcfart

The problem I have with mappacks is 2 things:
    1 - In 1 year, Modern Warfare 2 released 2 mappacks, $15 each. Now, however, the new $60 map pack, Black Ops was released, and people migrate over, because Activision stops supporting their old games (look at MW2 on PS3...). There's simply no value in it, because I don't play COD enough to compinsate the price, and after 8-10 months, the pack is 100% useless.

2 - Anyone can pay $15 for stuff, but really, I would feel ripped off. Even Bad Company 2's Vietnam made me feel slightly ripped off, since they simplified the gameplay by removing weapons that were in BC2.

If they migrated old map packs to their new games, THEN I would probebly buy them. That, however, won't happen, because Activision will instead recharge s for old maps.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Potter9156

The maps in the base game are terrible, so I probably won't be buying this pack unless the Quick Look impresses. But with one dark, rainy map and two snow maps, it will take a lot to impress me.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By hockeymask27

Downloading as we speek. 
    @Wuddel:

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EuanDewar
    @gamb1t:
    This is no comment on your opinion but you dont seem to quite understand the meaning of "No brainer" in the context of an insult.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ch13696
    @Wuddel said:
    " @gamb1t: Either that. Or a kid that just owns this game. Also ever heard of purchasing power differences? The map pack is about the price of fast-food lunch for me. No brainer. "
    I don't think I ever heard of fast-food costing $15 for one person. The most I've seen is half of that. 
    Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pezen

Bought it right out of the gate, I need the variety in my CoD. Personally, I like that they added some long-range maps and not just a pack of Nuketown/Firing Range maps. So far I've only had time to go through Stadium and Discovery, but I quite liked both.

Gaagie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gaagie
    @ch13696: Go to Europe and you will see. Trust me, I'm from Sweden.
    bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bobafettjm
    @gamb1t:  Maybe some of us will get enough play time out of the map pack to warrant $15.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gamb1t
    @bobafettjm said:
    " @gamb1t:  Maybe some of us will get enough play time out of the map pack to warrant $15. "
    I see you like to make excuses to make yourself feel better about things.
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I still cant wrap my mind around why anyone would pay 15 bucks for 5(?) maps ... but then again, I really dont like the MP of CoD games.

Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Scapegoat
    @2HeadedNinja said:

" I still cant wrap my mind around why anyone would pay 15 bucks for 5(?) maps ... but then again, I really dont like the MP of CoD games. "

How much would you pay for a cup of coffee at a nice cafe? A big mac combo? For parking in the city centre? $15 is not a lot a money, and I'm happy enough (sure I'd love for it to be free) to pay to add more some maps to the multiplayer - Black Ops is a blast.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @gamb1t said:
    " @bobafettjm said:
    " @gamb1t:  Maybe some of us will get enough play time out of the map pack to warrant $15. "
    I see you like to make excuses to make yourself feel better about things. "

Get off your high horse, its their money and im pretty sure if they're buying it, they'll get their moneys worth.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wuddel

No Caption Provided
    McGriddle550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By McGriddle550
    @gamb1t said:
    " I think if you buy this your a hardcore retard. "
    Stupidity,  brought to you by gamb1t
    bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bwheeeler
    @2HeadedNinja: Halo costs $10 for 3 maps, generally. Per map, the CoD packs are a better value (unless you discount the zombie map, in which case the CoD maps cost less than $.50 more apiece). Really, Halo and CoD are on the same plane, but since CoD comes from Activision there are much more complaints. Probably deservedly so.
    bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bobafettjm
    @gamb1t:  I see you like to troll. I don't see how explaining why I find value in the map pack is making excuses. I am not saying it's a great value for every one, but I will get more hours out of that $15 map pack than I will from most $60 games. I have already put over 200 hours into the multiplayer of Black Ops.
    Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Scapegoat

Managed to have a quick game on..... the map with the ice bridge. Was kinda funny as I expected the bridge to be a choke point but everyone seemed to avoid it, and theres a lot of higher spots that looked down on it.

The Northern Lights in the background looked really cool.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mikemcn

Now please let it come to PC, i didn't buy the packs for MW2 but I think I will for black ops. 

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gamb1t
    @bobafettjm said:
    " @gamb1t:  I see you like to troll. I don't see how explaining why I find value in the map pack is making excuses. I am not saying it's a great value for every one, but I will get more hours out of that $15 map pack than I will from most $60 games. I have already put over 200 hours into the multiplayer of Black Ops. "
    I guess you can call it trolling. God knows why anyone would say something so awkward. I cut it straight to the chase. The TRUTH HURTS.
    Gaagie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gaagie
    @Scapegoat said:
    " Managed to have a quick game on..... the map with the ice bridge. Was kinda funny as I expected the bridge to be a choke point but everyone seemed to avoid it, and theres a lot of higher spots that looked down on it. The Northern Lights in the background looked really cool. "
    Hmm.. that's interesting. I thought it would be a hell of a warzone. Perhaps it was just that game and that the majority of the rest has all hell broken loose there. We'll just have to see :)
    JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JerichoBlyth

The extra £10 did not give me the same sense of 'value for money' as Battlefield Vietnam did........and hell, I don't even play that anymore - I'm back on regular BC2 multiplayer.

So in conclusion, I think they should have kept adding to Modern Warfare 2 and skipped Black Ops completely - it's the same fucking game.

Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jerome85

Kowloon>Stadium>Berlin Wall>>>>>Discovery

First impressions weren't that great.   

Just recently played a couple hour session and here is my second impressions...

Discovery is the only map I feel is a waste of money.  There is a reason why it was originally scrapped as a multiplayer map.   No flow to the map at all.... But the aurora is awesome to look at. /sarcasm  

Berlin Wall reminds me of a bigger version of the Leningrad multiplayer map from COD 2.  Turrets are a gimmick... but the map is a lot of fun to play in.

Stadium is my second favorite of the pack.  Run & gun heaven, all objective game types are a good time on this map.

Kowloon is easily my favorite.  Love the verticality. What now seems like an endless maze will eventually get exploited for the fastest routes around/through the map.  CTF is a blast.  Don't really see any advantage to using the zipline but whatevers clever Treyarch.  

in conclusion...a $15 well spent.  Looking forward to the second map pack.

Could care less about the zombie map.

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ChillyUK7

So far ive really enjoyed the maps (for the most part), Discovery is a great open map, Ive got into a lot of firefights with many team mates/enemies fighting each other instead of 1 on 1's, my friend was walking accross a pipeline and I was below it, could see his shadow and we were basically calling out enemies and taking them down really easily between us which was an awesome moment, also the aurora is really beautiful and as the developers say it provides an easy way to figure out which side of the map your on. 

Kowloon
    was the first map I played and I enjoyed it to begin with but I quickly became frustrated by getting killed from all angles, this is probably due to not knowing the map very well but there just seemed like so many places to hide that it's difficult to work out where the enemy are especially if you go a minute or so without finding anyone only to be shot in the back from one of the hundreds of doorways (exagerating a little lol). I did use the zipline which was fun and is funny to see people using it, when I used it I managed to get the drop on an enemy and killed him with my Tomahawk which made it all the more satisfying. 

Stadium was fun and frantic, it reminded me of some Blacklight Tango Down maps and I got a few really good collaterals. 

Finally Berlin Wall was a blast playing as a sniper, I think I went 17 - 7, I don't like the no mans land/turrets tho, im pretty much against the idea of AI in multi player period. A few more upper floor buildings to snipe outta would be nice but whats here is great anyway. 

Gaagie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gaagie
    @ChillyUK7: It sounds really fun! I'm excited about it, gonna get my MS Points soon. Also, nice to hear that a sniper map has arrived :)
    bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bobafettjm

So I ended up getting the maps earlier than I had expected to. I really like all of these maps. I had a blast playing each map, which surprised me because there is usually one map in every map pack that I don't care for. I also really enjoyed playing the new zombie map, although it seems a little too big to me.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I bought and downloaded the map pack yesterday and while a few of the maps are good, there are way too many camping spots. The maps are also way too big and they need to add a Capture the Flag mode. 

EDIT: I haven't played the new zombie map yet.

Subbeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Subbeh
    @gamb1t said:
    Making comments like that certainly make you appear to be retarded, well done chap!

Might give this a look when it turns up on PC, not fussed about the zombie map but a couple of the others look fun, Stadium especially.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gamb1t
    @Subbeh said:
    " @gamb1t said:
    Making comments like that certainly make you appear to be retarded, well done chap!  Might give this a look when it turns up on PC, not fussed about the zombie map but a couple of the others look fun, Stadium especially. "
    rriigghhtt
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By natetodamax

Stadium

I went into this map foolishly thinking that it was actually set within a hockey rink. Instead I got an outdoor area with a large building that might as well have been an office building. 

Discovery

Awful 

Berlin Wall

This map is fine, but it feels ripped from World At War 

Kowloon

Probably my favorite in the map pack. I like riding the zip lines. The vertical layout is pretty cool.

Ascension (Zombie Map)

Tried getting into a Nazi Zombies match on Ascension but the matchmaking is still broken.
    Gaagie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gaagie
    @natetodamax said:
    "

Stadium

I went into this map foolishly thinking that it was actually set within a hockey rink. Instead I got an outdoor area with a large building that might as well have been an office building. "  

Haha, I laughed so hard when I imagined a hockey rink. It would've been fun though :D
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mikemcn
    @gamb1t said:
    " @Subbeh said:
    " @gamb1t said:
    Making comments like that certainly make you appear to be retarded, well done chap!  Might give this a look when it turns up on PC, not fussed about the zombie map but a couple of the others look fun, Stadium especially. "
    rriigghhtt "
    Actually Subbeh is, in fact, completely right. 
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By audiosnag
    @gamb1t said:

" @bobafettjm said:

I see you like to make excuses to make yourself feel better about things. "
    You sully the good name of Gambit with your inane prattle.
    Henceforth I shall refer to you as "douchetard" a moniker far more befitting a troll of your stature.
    ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By ZipCrash

I think $15 is a bit steep for a map pack but it's what Activision got away with on MW2 so no reason for them to change it now. I will (and already have) pay for that price for them anyway because I just want something new at this point which of course makes me part of the problem. I never bought the MW2 packs though since I didn't like the MP as much and stopped playing it by the time the maps hit. Really though I feel like it's either $15 for 5 maps on Blops or some second rate Xbox Live Arcade shooter with 5 maps that people will stop playing within a week anyway. When you look at it like that, First Strike is a no brainer. I love Zombies so the 5th map being a Zombies map isn't a problem for me.  

Anyway to the point of the thread. It does seem like these maps are a bit campier than normal with Discovery being the worst but I don't know if it's just because the maps are new or what. When I first started playing Blops on launch day I noticed the same thing. People not knowing the maps so instead of running around figuring it out they would just all camp together. So hopefully that gets worked out of everybody's systems after awhile because I do really like the design of all 4 maps. Kowloon is easily my favorite and Berlin Wall probably my least favorite but I'd still rather play it over Jungle. 

traynrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By traynrek
    @ZipCrash Jungle is the literal worst.
    Gaagie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gaagie
    @ZipCrash:  
    @TRAYNREK:  
    Agree, jungle suuucks. Berlin Wall does indeed look like the least fun map.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

The only reason I'm probably going to wind up with it is because my friends'll drag me into it, since I can't join in on their party if I don't have the map pack, or something. I don't really even play Blops much though...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By AhmadMetallic

MY THOUGHTS IS CALL OF DUTY 

THANK YOU ! 

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pweidman

All the maps are fun...when you can get into one!  Fucking crazy how infrequent they come up and how many people vote for old maps.  Quite annoying after the shelling out of $15.  But I had to, to keep playing with my friend I work with.  We always have a blast along with some serious belly laughs.  Worth it for that kind of nightly fun.
    ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By ZipCrash
    @pweidman: You know there is a First Strike playlist right? I think most people with the maps are in there, I know I am. So people in the regular playlist probably don't have them therefore don't vote for them.
    Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mighty

It's another map pack. It's fun to have new maps, but I kind of regret paying $15 for them.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pweidman
    @ZipCrash said:
    " @pweidman: You know there is a First Strike playlist right? I think most people with the maps are in there, I know I am. So people in the regular playlist probably don't have them therefore don't vote for them. "

Thanks for the tip, good to know.  I had no idea there was a seperate playlist.  Kinda weird, I was thinking as there was no distinction made in the mode screen...... that I noticed anyway.  I'll definitely look for it now though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.