Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 03, 2014

The eleventh installment of the Call of Duty franchise (and the first spearheaded by Sledgehammer Games) brings modern military thirty years into the future, as new technology (including powered exoskeleton frames and cloaking devices) makes a certain Private Military Corporation the dominant military force of the world.

CoD:AW Initial Impressions

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
    deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

So I decided to take the plunge and pick up Advanced Warfare today. Lucky enough I was able to just pick up the Limited Edition off the shelf. I'm a sucker for collectible books and feelies, what can I say?

Anyhoo... I am not the most avid Call of Duty player. Hell, I'm not even much of an FPS player. Trust me, play a few rounds of Deathmatch against me and the proof will stand before you. The ground and sky surrounding you are much more likely to be perforated by my bullets than any inch of your flesh.

...But I digress.

It had been a while since I put a CoD disk in a console so I decided to bring the latest home and give it a few hours. So far I'm really enjoying it. The campaign, a few stages in, feels engaging and surprisingly colorful. Some really stereotypical beats have been hit and I do miss the element of choice from Black Ops, but I do really like some of the performances and the relationships on display. The fact that there are already some really rich scenes where zero bullets are being fired really helps my enjoyment as well. The entire stage in the Atlas HQ was super fun to meander slowly around, taking in little details and scenes that surprisingly had distinct beginnings, middles, and ends, rewarding me ever so slightly for just sticking around to watch.

The combat continues to be snappy and satisfying with good, wet thwumps whenever your bullets make contact. Sadly I have the issue with CoD that I have with most realistic shooters in that I often have a ton of trouble maintaining any sort of combat awareness in dark areas and I very frequently confuse friend with foe.

My brief time in multiplayer saw me jumping into a handful of Team Deathmatch randoms. The exo enabled movement makes CoD's trademark fast-paced combat even faster, creating new vertical opportunities that keep even veteran "Climb and hide" snipers on their toes since even Newbie McNewberson can jet up to his perch and flush him out.

So far I still suck. Alot. My aim is lousy, I don't know the maps, and I seem to get ambushed an awful lot. I'm still pretty consistently above the bottom ranked player though and I was even MVP in one match! I think I just need to keep playing until I unlock the one set of perks, weapons, and stuff that really click with me.

And, oh yeah, there is loot. With rarity.

Best Call of Duty yet? So far, I'm saying yes. I'm having lots of fun with it, despite being a complete waste to my team most of the time. At this point I'm just hoping Clan stuff gets fixed so I can start playing with the GB community.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I'm certainly enjoying it more than I have since BLOPS or MW2, but I don't know if I'd say best COD yet. Maybe a close second, definitely top 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.