Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty 3

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 07, 2006

The third main installment of the well-known first-person shooter series, Call of Duty 3 returns to World War II Europe in an inter-connected campaign that switches between America, British, Canadian, and Polish forces during the liberation of France.

Playing an older "inferior" game instead of the newest one.

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Edited By TonicBH

I recently got Call of Duty: World at War as an early birthday gift (my birthday's tomorrow). I've been dabbling in both co-op modes and multiplayer. Today, on a snow day, where my class had been canceled, I decided to take a break from getting my ass kicked in Crackdown...

...to play Call of Duty 3. See, COD3 was the sole COD game I had for the 360 until I got WAW. Both made by the same developers (Treyarch), and both made with different development times and circumstances. COD3 had to be released on five platforms, two of them launch systems, be made and finished in nine months, and had to be out for the holiday season (and to satisfy Activision and their fat cat shareholders). World at War was made in two years, had familiarity with the technology since it was modified COD4 tech, and again, out for the holiday season.

World at War has more features, game modes, gameplay, players, everything. But I decided to play COD3. Considered to be the "worst in the whole series" and the sole reason loads of people were skeptical about WAW (besides the whole "going back to WWII" thing). It's not that bad, really. It was only $13, perhaps if I had paid $60 back in 2006 I'd be telling a different tale, but I kinda like it. Perhaps it's a guilty pleasure. Or maybe it's those "Kusoges" I hear about on them internets.

Or it's because there was one remaining achievement that I knew I could get ("Supply Officer") that didn't result in grinding (the remaining rank achievements) or frustration ("Grizzled Veteran"). Either way. I'd say it's worth a look. And hey, easy achievements! For the most part.

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TonicBH

I recently got Call of Duty: World at War as an early birthday gift (my birthday's tomorrow). I've been dabbling in both co-op modes and multiplayer. Today, on a snow day, where my class had been canceled, I decided to take a break from getting my ass kicked in Crackdown...

...to play Call of Duty 3. See, COD3 was the sole COD game I had for the 360 until I got WAW. Both made by the same developers (Treyarch), and both made with different development times and circumstances. COD3 had to be released on five platforms, two of them launch systems, be made and finished in nine months, and had to be out for the holiday season (and to satisfy Activision and their fat cat shareholders). World at War was made in two years, had familiarity with the technology since it was modified COD4 tech, and again, out for the holiday season.

World at War has more features, game modes, gameplay, players, everything. But I decided to play COD3. Considered to be the "worst in the whole series" and the sole reason loads of people were skeptical about WAW (besides the whole "going back to WWII" thing). It's not that bad, really. It was only $13, perhaps if I had paid $60 back in 2006 I'd be telling a different tale, but I kinda like it. Perhaps it's a guilty pleasure. Or maybe it's those "Kusoges" I hear about on them internets.

Or it's because there was one remaining achievement that I knew I could get ("Supply Officer") that didn't result in grinding (the remaining rank achievements) or frustration ("Grizzled Veteran"). Either way. I'd say it's worth a look. And hey, easy achievements! For the most part.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

I liked it at the time, but I couldn't get multiplayer to work even after they tried patching that crap.   I'd rather play it over WAW though.

Ashuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ashuku

Big Red One is easily worse than COD3. I enjoyed COD3 quite a bit too... Not the single player so much, but WAR mode in multiplayer was a blast... But I'm a sucker for the battlefield style controlpoint multiplayer.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Chummy8

Good gameplay never gets old.  Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You should get CoD 2. It's easily better than 3 and WaW.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RHCPfan24

I didn't like COD3. I think I wrote a short review here about it (check my profile), and its short development time showed. A lot of glitches and bugs reared their ugly heads. The multiplayer aspect was okay, but COD4 improved upon it in every way possible that I can't look back. The one benefit I got from it was the easy achievements. I will never complain about that.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By crunchUK

haha how can you get you arse kicked in crackdown?????

and cod3 isn't as bad a speople make out. The classes and large and reliativley non laggy battles are a lot of fun. Sure it's no halo or team fortressut it's fun to play once in a while b

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Chummy8

Playing older games usually means reduced prices.  I love it when sequels come out.  Now I can buy Gears of War and Skate for like $20 each.  Win freaking win baby.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bullet_Jr

A good game will always be a good game, regardless of how old it is.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hexpane
    TekZero said:
    "Good gameplay never gets old.  Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise."
    COD3 doesn't have any good gameplay.  As another user mentioned, COD2 is far superior.

THe list of flaws in COD3 is long, but here are the lowlights.

1. Respawning enemies.  Did you just kill 30 Nazis?  Wait 5 minutes and 30 more will spawn

2. Invisible Walls.  See that giant cool looking war going on over there, well you can't go there because of this invisible wall

3. Small linear paths.  Oh did you want to run up that hill and go shoot those respawning nazis? Well you can only get there by following this tight, restricted path w/ invisible walls on either side.  Oh is that a burning building? You can't go in, invisible FIREWALL.  Are those infinitely respawning enemies in that house you can't go in?  Don't worry about it, your objective is over here down this linear path anyway, those burning buildings are just for eye candy
    TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TonicBH

Ashuku: I liked Big Red One's idea, it's just... buggy, and COD3 is the same thing. See, both of these games were pushed out the door by Activision to hit the Christmas season and they weren't refined enough. Six more months for BOTH games would've made them better.

MattyFTM: I'm a fan of the whole franchise. I already have COD2 on the PC. :P

CrunchUK: How can I get killed in Crackdown? Real easy. :P

Hexpane: Um, the "infinite respawning enemies," invisible walls and small linear paths also appear in COD2 and COD4. It was better masked in those games, though (some stages had minefields that pretty much were visible walls you could pass through but you'd die if you tried to go beyond map boundaries). I can remember two distinct locations in COD2 that had those infinite respawns, such as that one point where you had to assault and clear a house in the British campaign. So if you're gonna put the blame on Treyarch, you must be fair and blame Infinity Ward as well.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kmdrkul

CoD2:BRO is my favorite CoD game of all time.  That games online (for the PS2) was tons of fun.  Lots of memorable levels.  Loved the BAR in that game.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kmdrkul

CoD2:BRO is my favorite CoD game of all time.  That games online (for the PS2) was tons of fun.  Lots of memorable levels.  Loved the BAR in that game.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By RichardLOlson
    Well  I'm a man of many colors....in terms of gaming.  I like a lot of the older games and the newer ones too.  But I remember the first time I played "Tecmo Bowl" on the NES and it blew my mind.  And till this day it still does.  A lot of the older games take u back to that childhood of innocence and joy.  But when they remake games like the new "Banjo Kazooie" for the 360, it shows that the company who made the game doesn't care about the way the older game made us feel, they just want to get as much money off us as they can.  Well I for one can't stand it.  I'm all for the older games like:St

Secret of Mana
    Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy 7
    Tecmo Bowl
    Super Mario Bros
    Dragon Quest
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Duke Nukem
    Doom
    Quake
    Street Fighter
    Mortal Kombat
    Killer Instict
    Golden Eye

Just to name a few, but you do have some of those people out there who want to make remakes out of some of these games.  And they already have made some, and most of them are just crap.

TomServo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TomServo

whenever I get a new system I'm usually a year or two behind so I buy all the best old games used, and then I can catch up eventually.

atlantabrave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By atlantabrave04

I'm thinking about getting either Call of Duty 2 or Call of Duty 3 because I want good online multiplayer without having to play Modern Warfare. Anyone share my thoughts?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@atlantabrave04 said:
    " I'm thinking about getting either Call of Duty 2 or Call of Duty 3 because I want good online multiplayer without having to play Modern Warfare. Anyone share my thoughts? "
    COD 2 is still the best in the series to me, I really hate 3 and up.
    atlantabrave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By atlantabrave04
    @Bucketdeth:
    Do you play it on the 360 or PC?
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Pazy
    @atlantabrave04 said:
    " I'm thinking about getting either Call of Duty 2 or Call of Duty 3 because I want good online multiplayer without having to play Modern Warfare. Anyone share my thoughts? "
    Cod 2 and 3 have very few players on Xbox 360 (I think Cod3 has 50 at any time). Im not totally sure about Cod 2 on Xbox 360 but Cod 3 has enough for a fun game but not a whole lot. If you want a good community then Cod 2 on PC is where its at, and then you get to play rifle only on Toujane..ooo the memories :)
    PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PowerSerj

CoD2. Preferably the PC version since there are plenty of modded servers to take advantage of.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

Snow day... What the... OH!

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Druminator

I like COD3 a lot, maybe even more than any COD which to some I guess is weird. I love the maps in that game and I also love the in match ranking. Ranking up all the way and calling in air strikes as sniper was awesome. Medic was also a whore haha. The map packs were really good too. I need to pick this up again to complete my COD collection. My last copy got destroyed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.