Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bungie

Company »

Bungie is a development studio owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment. They are the creators of the Marathon, Myth, Halo, and Destiny series of games.

Bungie Aerospace Probably Isn't What You're Thinking

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Bungie Aerospace, a mysterious thing the company has been registering websites and trademarks about for months now, is not Bungie's next game. It's about helping independent developers making mobile and social games, providing "creative freedom," access to Bungie.net's tools and more.

The first partnership Bungie's disclosing is with Crimson from Harebrained Schemes. The studio's creative director is Jordan Weisman, the man behind the infamous "I Love Bees" alternate reality game. We don't know what the game is, but it's coming to iOS and Android this summer.

“Bungie has always been passionate about making and playing great games, regardless of platform,” said Bungie COO Pete Parsons in the announcement press release. “Bungie Aerospace will allow us to explore game creation in multiple formats with some amazingly talented teams. Now that we’ve returned to our roots as an independent studio, we are in a position to launch Bungie Aerospace to support, foster, and elevate like-minded, independent developers.”

In addition to all this, Marathon is also coming to iPad. I love me some d-pad touch controls!

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Bungie Aerospace, a mysterious thing the company has been registering websites and trademarks about for months now, is not Bungie's next game. It's about helping independent developers making mobile and social games, providing "creative freedom," access to Bungie.net's tools and more.

The first partnership Bungie's disclosing is with Crimson from Harebrained Schemes. The studio's creative director is Jordan Weisman, the man behind the infamous "I Love Bees" alternate reality game. We don't know what the game is, but it's coming to iOS and Android this summer.

“Bungie has always been passionate about making and playing great games, regardless of platform,” said Bungie COO Pete Parsons in the announcement press release. “Bungie Aerospace will allow us to explore game creation in multiple formats with some amazingly talented teams. Now that we’ve returned to our roots as an independent studio, we are in a position to launch Bungie Aerospace to support, foster, and elevate like-minded, independent developers.”

In addition to all this, Marathon is also coming to iPad. I love me some d-pad touch controls!

Falx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Falx

really?

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fire_Of_The_Wind

cool

stripclubdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By stripclubdj

now this is a twist :)

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Slaker117

I am sorely disappointed that Bungie Aerospace is not a collaborative effort with John Carmack to usher humanity into the spacefaring age.

I don't believe that expectation was unreasonable.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By MisterMouse

well if it improves the overall quality of those mobile games, and some great products come from it, that could be some really cool stuff.

Krrutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Krrutch

indie games will be flying with support from this

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Good that they're trying to help small developers.. Not so good that they were so misleading with the hype for this.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By BabyChooChoo

My dreams of a real life Pelican are now shattered. DAMN YOU

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MisterChief

Why the fuck did they tease this?

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By _Phara0h_

@MisterChief said:

They actually never did the news of the name came out of a trademark filings and that fallowed by a slew of conjecture...

HavokCXVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HavokCXVII

They have only mentioned Aerospace directly a few times prior to today, and not even in a hype-creating capacity. People crying foul over them overhyping anything should realize that fan speculation was the fuel for the excitement surrounding Aerospace, and its not Bungie's fault that people on the internet have ridiculous expectations for literally anything.

Edit: As an addition to the story, Osborne has been answering questions on NeoGAF, stating that it is not exclusively mobile/social games, and that the platform is decided by the partner studio. He mentions some specific things that Aerospace will provide:

"It's not an SDK, an engine, or a platform. We're interested in partnering with independent dev teams and powering their projects up with a tailored blend of:

• Financial Resources

• An Audience with our Community

• PR and Marketing Support

• QA/Testing & User Research

• Release Management Support

• Technology & Expertise for: Web, Servers, Database, and Back-end Services"

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Ninja

@HavokCXVII said:

They have only mentioned Aerospace directly a few times prior to today, and not even in a hype-creating capacity. People crying foul over them overhyping anything should realize that fan speculation was the fuel for the excitement surrounding Aerospace, and its not Bungie's fault that people on the internet have ridiculous expectations for literally anything.

I agree, it was obvious it would be a social network type venture , I don't know why people thought a product with 'Bungie' in the name could have been a game.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MisterChief

@THAfara0 said:

@MisterChief said:

They actually never did the news of the name came out of a trademark filings and that fallowed by a slew of conjecture...

Oh really?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By big_jon

I never thought this was a game.

jrlyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By jrlyon

disappoint.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@big_jon said:

I never thought this was a game.

Anyone who did never really looked into it much. It was blatantly clear from the very start.

And they didn't over hype, they trolled. It's what Bungie do. Get used to it fuckers.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rattle618

I thought this was a project to develop the ships from Halo IRL, boy was I wrong.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Donos

Even though I have zero interest in those small/mobile games, I'm glad Bungie seems to be doing a not sci-fi shooter.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Winternet

Bungie is getting into the airlines business. At least that's what I get from all this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MisterChief said:

@THAfara0 said:

@MisterChief said:

Oh really?

So... they mention Aerospace... and that it's a project... with details. How misleading!

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MisterChief

@CrazyBagMan said:

@MisterChief said:

@THAfara0 said:

@MisterChief said:

Oh really?

So... they mention Aerospace... and that it's a project... with details. How misleading!

What? Did I say it was misleading? I was asking why they would tease something so inane.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Hef

You know what. That is way cooler than a new halo anything. I`m pretty stoked that Bungie is using their money to help out the industry instead of watering it down with more sequels and spin-offs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bungie, as disappointed as I am from your Halo sequels this makes up up everything.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Slaker117
    @Hef

You know what. That is way cooler than a new halo anything. I`m pretty stoked that Bungie is using their money to help out the industry instead of watering it down with more sequels and spin-offs.

Make solid sequels to popular games, people bitch. Do something cool and out of left field to support indie game development, people bitch.

Can't please everyone. I'm just happy Bungie gets to do their thing. Regardless of what you might think of their games, they have a great company culture and always go the extra mile.
    Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Hef

@Slaker117: I actually quite enjoy all halo games (except wars...that wasn't fun). I just think that putting out sequel after sequel will eventually leave the franchise in ruin. Look at Final Fantasy, Tony Hawk or Guitar hero. I know halo hasn't gotten to that point yet, but I'm just glad that they're dropping halo for good and using their money for a new IP and a new platform to help smaller and in most cases very unique games flourish.

Though to be fair Halo Reach was more of the same. At least single player wise. They made some cool tweaks to the multiplayer, but nothing really changed. I think Bungie had taken the series as far as their original vision could go and decided to move on. I have very little interest in Halo 4 unless 343 does something completely out of left field. The shooter marker crowded enough already.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By superfriend

Mobile games? Partnering up with Activision for their next big game? I don´t know if those are good moves. Maybe if something goes wrong, they can still make CoD mappacks for the next 100 years :P

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iDarktread
    @Superfriend said:
    Mobile games? Partnering up with Activision for their next big game?
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Bummer! And I was all ready to volunteer to go aboard the Pillar of Autumn. I guess I'll unpack. :(

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30  Edited By xpgamer7

So it means a tool to allow more great games to be made? I can live with that.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By MeatSim

I have no interest in Mobile games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.