Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Parallel's Between This and *SPOILER*

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So, I heard Ken Levine mention the film Oldboy in an interview he did with Kevin Van Ord for GameSpot before the game's launch.

I can't remember that film too much, but I know he's away from his daughter for 18 years, meets her about 18 years later and the two of them go on an adventure and eventually uncover the truth (albeit a bit fucked up in Oldboy's case).

I've also heard people make comparisons to the TV show Fringe. Are they'd any other TV shows/Films that Infinite draws from?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By golguin

Madoka and Steins Gate, but they do it with Time Travel. Both shows have characters that are trying to reach a desired outcome. Both are very good shows.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Lutece's seem straight out of a Wes Anderson movie.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I was reminded of Looper by the way the story turns out, but maybe that's just because I've watched it relatively recently?

stoydell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last couple minutes reminded me a TON of To The Moon, and it felt pretty inspired by a Robert Heinlein short story called "-All You Zombies-", which is an excellent little time travel parable.

Boobtank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Boobtank

There is probably a touch of Vertigo in there, but I see that movies' ideas everywhere.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

All the talk about constants at the end of the game had me thinking about Lost. But then again, most things do.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was reminded of Looper by the way the story turns out, but maybe that's just because I've watched it relatively recently?

Looper pretty much reminds me of it too, since you are the ultimate evil in that movie too, also the actual bit where you go to Rapture? Amazing. My mind is SO FUCKED right now. Kevin was right, when it happens you are NOT ready for it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I did think of Oldboy briefly, around the time you tie up her corset IIRC, in a "how fucked up would that be" sort of way. But nah, I'm not drawing too many parallels.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's the 90's TV show Sliders

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can easily say this is my favorite video game ending ever what a mindfuck I loved it. I didn't even like the original Bioshock that much never got done finishing that game until a week ago which it grew on me.But I like infinite so much more in terms of characters, location and combat what a great game never thought I like a Bioshock game so much damn I'm in impressed.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the movie was indeed an inspiration, thank god he didn't go all out and have Booker and Elizabeth bone.

burnquest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By burnquest

The Lutece's introduction is a reference to "Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", whose title characters flip a coin and it lands on heads hundreds of times in a row.

Noli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Noli
    @realph said:

So, I heard Ken Levine mention the film Oldboy in an interview he did with Kevin Van Ord for GameSpot before the game's launch.

I can't remember that film too much, but I know he's away from his daughter for 18 years, meets her about 18 years later and the two of them go on an adventure and eventually uncover the truth (albeit a bit fucked up in Oldboy's case).

Spoilers from Oldboy...

Oldboy was a movie about a guy who was hold captive in small room for 18years?(don't remember how much) If you ask what's with his daughter... well, they brought to him one day as a girl to have sex with. Later on protagonist finds out about that. I think the reason he started his vengeance against mobsters was probably because they kept him for so many years and let him have sex with his daughter...

Oldboy has one of the best fighting scenes in movie history. They made like 5-10 minute sequence without cutting it and without any pauses.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, I was definitely reminded of Looper too. The ultimate resolution to the conflict is pretty much identical.

ouranou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Back to the Future II

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aelric

The Lutese's and the whole city in some ways reminded me of The Prisoner. I even found an old-timey big front wheel bike that I felt was likely a reference.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By roninenix

@noli said:
    @realph said:

Spoilers from Oldboy...

Oldboy was a movie about a guy who was hold captive in small room for 18years?(don't remember how much) If you ask what's with his daughter... well, they brought to him one day as a girl to have sex with. Later on protagonist finds out about that. I think the reason he started his vengeance against mobsters was probably because they kept him for so many years and let him have sex with his daughter...

Oldboy has one of the best fighting scenes in movie history. They made like 5-10 minute sequence without cutting it and without any pauses.

What I remember from Oldboy was that the protagonist was held captive in a small room for years. Without any explanation or reasons why. Then, suddenly he was released from the room without a reason and was lured to this sushi restaurant type place, where he met a young girl that worked there. They got real close and ended up having sex together...

Of course he was still mad about being held captive,so he goes off fighting and killing people 'til he finds the man that was responsible for his imprisonment. In that moment with meeting that man he sought out, he is told the reasons for his imprisonment and that the girl he has slept with is his own daughter. What he says and does after that, leads to the end of the movie.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but that's what I remember from that movie.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Dangerloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dangerloves

Quatum Leap, Sliders, Continum, Good Night Sweetheart, Crime Traveler, Being Erika, Do Over, Early Edition, Twilight Zone, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf, Fringe, BioShock, The Last Express, Looper, 12 Monkeys, Los Cronocrímenes, Primer, Source Code, Ground Hog Day, Run Lola Run, Oldboy, Synecdoche, New York, Being John Malkovich, Jacob's Ladder, The Master, There Will Be Blood, O Brother, Where Art Thou?,True Grit, Barton Fink, Hudsucker Proxy, The Birth of a Nation, Donnie Darko, The Terminator, The Deaths of Ian Stone, Inception, Timecop, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, The Butterfly Effect, Wild Wild West, Steamboy, A History of Violence, Repunzel by the Brothers Grimm, The Passover Plot by Hugh J Schonfield, In the Realms of the Unreal by Henry Darger, Dirk Gently by Douglas Adams, Fatherland by Robert Harris, The Basic Problems with Phenomenology by Martin Heidegger, Being and Time by Martin Heidegger, Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard, Future Primitive by John Zerzan, Running on Emptiness by John Zerzan, Being and Nothingness by Jean Paul Sartre, String Theory for Dummies by Andrew Zimmberman Jones and Daniel Robbins, Stephen King's The Dark Tower, Talking Heads Road to Nowhere, Maurice Chevalier Thank Heaven For Little Girls, Electric Light Orchestra Mr. Blue Sky, Fucked Up David Comes to Life, Fucked Up David’s Plan, Fucked Up Hidden World, Fucked Up Invisible Leader, Fucked Up Magic Kingdom, Fucked Up Looking for Gold and a Rorschach inkblot test ... GAME OF THE YEAR 2013

No Caption Provided

What did you see?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I got a Slaughterhouse-Five vibe from it

ignatz27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Thomas Pynchon novel "Against the Day":

-- opens at the Chicago World's Fair (which Levine has cited as the primary architectural inspiration for Columbia)

-- features an airship that seems to grow to the size of a city over the book's (long) length

-- includes among its cast a disgraced former Pinkerton's agent whose memories have some sizeable holes

-- plays around *a lot* with multiple worlds and parallel dimensions

-- casts a hard light on some of the ugly corners in American history

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Lutece's seem straight out of a Wes Anderson movie.

Actually, I think they're heavily inspired by Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

In the play Hamlett, the titular dane of denmark is attempting to uncover the truth about his father's death. Once he realizes that a conspiracy is afoot, he realizes that he cannot trust his two best friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. He takes a death order that was intended to be for himself, if I remember correctly, and substitutes their names instead. They are then left to unknowingly carry their own death order to the people who will read it and then murder them.

In Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, Tom Stoppard writes a comedic absurdist play about the two friends who are so alike that even they can't remember which one is which. And they don't really care as they've abandoned hope of figuring it out. "A little consistency" is all they ask from it.

The existential basis for the play is that, since their death order has already been signed, they are dead. But since they haven't arrived at their destination yet, they are alive. So much like Schrodinger's cat, they are both alive and dead and exist in a limbo of sorts. (just like the twins in bioshock) Their limbo is made apparent to them by their constantly flipping a coin which never fails to turn up heads. (like in bioshock)

Here is a scene from a film version of the play in which they do the coin flip and come to the conclusion that they are in limbo,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjOqaD5tWB0

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.