Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield

Franchise »

The Battlefield series is created by Digital Illusions CE and published by Electronic Arts. The games focus on large maps and vehicle combat with a strong focus on class-based teamwork. The Battlefield series spans multiple platforms and has a strong PC based following.

What is the best battlefield game and why?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll What is the best battlefield game and why? (224 votes)

Battlefield 1942 13%
    Battlefield Vietnam 2%
    Battlefield 2 19%
    Battlefield 2142 6%
    Battlefield: Bad Company 4%
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2 38%
    Battlefield 3 8%
    Battlefield 4 8%
    Battlefield Hardline 0%
    Other 3%

So what is everyone's favorite BF game? mine has to be BF2 for these reasons.

• Emphasis on Teamwork
    • Amazing maps like, Strike at Karkand,Sharqi Peninsula,Mashtuur city, Dalian Plant,Dragon Valley,Road to Jalalabad ect..
    • Great weapon choices and unlocks they all feel like they have a purpose.
    • Sound design it still sounds great today weapons, Vehicles, the ambient sounds like the quiet wind you can here on some maps.
    • Air combat awesome jet and heli battles.
    • Satisfying gameplay working as a squad capturing flags and racking up kills.
    • Ranking up system that actually makes you earn your weapon unlocks.

So what's yours?

• 
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Are we talking single-player or just multiplayer?

I've only played the single-player of Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, and Battlefield 4. None of them are all that great, but out of those, 4 is the least not-that-great: the story/characters are almost compelling and there's some incredible-looking scenery.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bad Company 2. Good solid combined warfare game because the maps were slightly smaller and not super flat and open and, depending on the server, had a decent netcode (which makes the older ones like 1942 and 2 super rough to play since the netcode is awful in those games). The main battlefield games are often more vehicle favoured which I don't really like (unless everyone can get the vehicle he wants at any time like in Planetside 2, but that also requires a bigger scale).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we talking single-player or just multiplayer?

I've only played the single-player of Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, and Battlefield 4. None of them are all that great, but out of those, 4 is the least not-that-great: the story/characters are almost compelling and there's some incredible-looking scenery.

Just MP

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Bad Company 2 had the balance of action and scope down to a fine art

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Mister_V

2142 Because of the awesome titan mode, and the escape pods, and that game had mechs. and hover tanks, and assault rifles with rocket launchers on them.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefield Vietnam because my friends and I played that one the most. The music and the way that it felt. At some point you didn't care that they gave one class the m60 and a rocket launcher because it just turned it into Rambo back in the jungle. Caltops, punji pits, napalm, Creedance. That was a fucking gooooood game.

finnith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

BC2 was horribly broken in so many ways (Gustav, AN-94, explosives in general) but it was incredibly fun and I got to it at the perfect time, so for me it's my favorite.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna have to go with 3. I thought the multiplayer was incredible and was probably my 2nd most played game last gen after Skyrim.

dbdanny16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

played 3 the most, but its hard to top bf4 is you have a squad that works together and your fighting for control of a point against a team that is also using teamwork. i know it will be a unpopular opinion and it might be due to the fact i played bf3 on consoles and bc2 i was too late to the party.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are going to completely disregard an entire section of a game's overall package (I'm assuming because the older versions didn't have it), you may want to change the title to "Which Battlefiled game has the best Multiplayer Mode?"

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I did not think this poll would be as unanimous as it is, but good lord BC2 was amazing.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefield 2. I absolutely loved that game, and it was a game my brother and I played a lot together and did fairly well in, so that's my reason.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ivdamke

I suspected BC2 would probably be the strongest contender here. It seemed to hit at the right time and was just different enough to differentiate itself from what was currently available to acquire that following.

My favourite however still has to be BF2. After starting with 1942 and going through all the expansions through Vietnam I became a sworn Battlefield fan. When BF2 finally came around it was such a big step up and set the ground work for pretty much everything that has become staples in the FPS genre. The map design was just sheer brilliance, there was 16 of them at launch all drastically larger than what we experience today and I could only say I disliked one of them (Operation Blue Pearl.) The introduction of in-game heavy stat-tracking, weapon unlocks from class progression and gameplay challenges for rewards were all new to the franchise which are the aforementioned staples.

BF2 brought so many new things while still retaining it's identity. The addition of Commander mode for example is effectively what fostered incredibly strong team play in public matches. A commander had the ability to tell a squad leader where to go and then the squad leader could relay that information to the rest of his squad. Markers could be set, flanking routes could be drawn out there was so much more involvement in how players would interact with each other in public matches. Some squads would designate themselves to disabling the enemy artillery, others would go for the enemies satellite functions. Some would tread the flank of a map seeing no action for 5-10mins so they could capture points behind enemy lines to sandwich the enemy.

I could go on and on, but BF2 is without a doubt my favourite as I think it's the most varied, skillful, thoughful and involved game in the franchise.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

BF2 was a great game, certainly the most innovative & influential, but in terms of balance and pacing it falls real short compared to later stuff.

I'd honestly say it's a tossup between BC2 and BF4, with BC2 having better map design and BF4 having better everything else. I ended up voting for the latter

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

whatever that downloadable one for the Xbox 360 was called

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@inevpatoria: 1943? My answer is probably somewhere between that one, BC2, and BF3. I really enjoyed all three.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By ArtisanBreads

1942 was the one I liked the most overall (was obsessed with it for a long time) but I played Vietnam, 2, BC 2, and 3 a whole lot. Still the fondest memories for that first game though. Did absolute work as a medic. Healing myself and the SMG were great for my guerilla tactics.

@hayt said:

Battlefield Vietnam because my friends and I played that one the most. The music and the way that it felt. At some point you didn't care that they gave one class the m60 and a rocket launcher because it just turned it into Rambo back in the jungle. Caltops, punji pits, napalm, Creedance. That was a fucking gooooood game.

Yeah I agree. It had some issues but man it could be fun and made for some great moments. Really underrated/overlooked.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@finnith said:

BC2 was horribly broken in so many ways (Gustav, AN-94, explosives in general) but it was incredibly fun and I got to it at the perfect time, so for me it's my favorite.

Yup it sure was. The most broken was the semi-auto shotgun with the extended range rounds. It basically became a one hit kill that was very accurate at any range. So broken with stuff like that. But I also had a great time with it.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By poser

If you factor in the era that it came out, BF1942 hands down. It was just doing something wildly fresh and different from CoD and MoH.

But BFC2 was best game, objectively speaking, because it felt like a compete package. And environment damage was consistent so it actually made sense. ...Also no offensive DLC.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefield 1943 was also really, really good.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#21 fisk0  Moderator

The poll is missing Codename Eagle (if we're going by the same metrics that count Bloodborne and Demon's Souls as part of the same franchise as Dark Souls). Really loved that game, the pseudo-WW1 setting meant the slow air combat of the BF series made sense, as you were all flying biplanes and unlike the later games where carriers and other massive vehicles were only there as objective markers, you could pilot massive zeppelins and ships in CE.

With CE in mind I'm pretty excited for BF5.

Apart from that, I had a lot of fun with the PS2 "port" of Battlefield 2, as well as BF Vietnam and 2142 on PC.

The PC version of Battlefield 2 had some really interesting multiplayer campaign things going on, that sadly was ignored by most servers and probably was the doing of Kaos Studios, as all games without their involvement have missed that, while Frontlines and Homefront both had aspects of it, with the moving frontline and that stuff (in BF2's campaign mode, the next map in the playlist was determined by the winner of the previous map - pushing the frontline between China and mainland US, with the Middle Eastern maps, Karkand, Sharqi and Oman in the middle, basically the same campaign model as Brink and Titanfall also used).

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefield 2 for sure. It was the first time I'd seen a multiplayer game that huge and crazy. It blew me away in terms of scale, and to this day I think it has the best maps of the whole series.

I enjoyed Bad Company and Bad Company 2 just fine, but the multiplayer felt very limited (especially in BC2), and is responsible for the 4 class system that I really don't like. I don't want to have to go into a menu every time I decide that I want a grenade launcher instead of a medic pack.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the fondest memories of 1942 - there was nothing like it at the time. No silly single player campaign. Just bots. Lots and lots of dumb, cannon fodder bots. Add in the Desert Combat mod and oh man, that was some good times. You thought flying choppers was hard in today's Battlefield games?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have a great love of BF 2142. It was everything I loved about BF2 in terms of the scope, teamplay, weapon feel etc. but with mechs and the extremely satisfying "Titan" mode which is something I feel is missing from later games. While I enjoy later BF games I dont think they ever truly hit the team play aspect that, personally, im really into.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

1942 is always going to be near and dear to my heart but I think Battlefield 2 is probably the best that series has been for me. Yah they kind of ruined the air game but everything else was really awesome. I remember having a total blast with Bad Company 2 as well. Battlefield 3 I think I played for maybe a week, and all my friends that I played Bad Company 2 with fell off even sooner than that. Without a fun squad I just wasn't having a whole lot of fun with BF3 so I stopped playing and I haven't really picked one up since.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spoonman671

Battlefield 4 was pretty horrendous at launch, but it's easily the best Battlefield game now.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

BF2 for sure. Fantastic maps and really took the series to a new level. Newer BF games feel to twitchy and CoD like to me.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a tie between 1942 and Bad Company 2 for me.
    1942 was just so mind blowing when I was a kid, like "Wow, is that what games can do? Is this what games are able to be?! Look at all of this! Look how many people can fight each other! This is nuts."
    I lost so many hours to that game, even just playing bots in single player, I loved it, a lot of nostalgic connection with that one.

Bad Company 2 was just such a good experience though, everything felt so right about it, also you could play as a medic and I love playing medics in games, I feel like they get shoved to the side a lot even in further iterations of the Battlefield franchise. There's no better moment to me in a game then when I see a dude in a down state and I have to run across a field of death to get to them and revive them. That was one of the last few games that gave me that feeling.
    I'm not totally up to date with the Battlefields though, so maybe they brought it back at some point, I don't know.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By Atwa

It peaked with 2 to me.

Why? Commander system, squad system, maps were just really fantastic, weapons and unlock system was great. Balance was quite good (aside from nades at karkand).

Its just the ultimate multiplayer game in my eyes, and I played it thousands of hours.

Actually BF2142 had my favorite FPS mode ever with Titan mode, other than that it was basically just BF2 though so I still go with BF2.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Even with only 32 players max on pc, bad company 2, it had amazing destruction, balanced weapons, lots of maps that were free and didn't split the community, a singleplayer mode i didn't love but enjoyed far more than 3 or 4, and a sense of battle no other game has captured in the series.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to go with BF2. To me it felt like a huge jump from the WW2 shooters. Of course EA took down support for the servers though. Not a surprise.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BF2 was an amazing time. My little brother and I sunk a ton of time into that game. Felt like a revelation at the time with the huge maps and huge player counts.

I think BF:BC2 is actually the better multiplayer experience in terms of balance and fun although it came out at a point where I couldn't give it as much time as I would have liked so I don't feel quite as confident about that opinion.

I have a strange love for 2142. The tech and setting were great but I feel like it needed more testing and polish.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of Story nothing beats Bad Company 1. Probably my favorite shooter campaign of all time.

In terms of time invested BC2 and balance for me.

In terms of them trying something new and being super fun 2142 didn't get the credit it deserves.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably BF2, even though at the time I was hardly in a position to take advantage of its standout features. Had a pc that could barely even run it (512mb ram made for some loooong load times) and only 33k internet meant no online play, just lan coop with a buddy against bots. No progression or unlocking of weapons and only the 16-player versions of the maps. I had to get patches and mods from pc magazine discs. But that probably just made me appreciate the fact I was able to play it at all even more. I also really dug the modern warfare setting, besides conflict desert storm and ofp I don't think I had played any games like that at this point.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By flasaltine

Battlefield 2 because it was the best just by itself, and then because of the Project Reality mod which made it the best multiplayer teamwork experience in existence. Like, for real.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Bf2. I still feel BC and BC2 are highly regarded mostly for being on consoles and not really for being good battlefield games.

When it comes to actual game quality it's most likely going to be Bf2. It just did most things better than all the other games in the series and I wonder how many people who are praising BC2 to high heaven actually played much if Bf1 or Bf2.

I've played Bf3 for hundreds of hours but there is an aspect of that that it's basically just back to Bf2 only a bit worse. It has one of single the worst maps in modern FPS history (operation metro), DICE did its very best to make a beautiful game look washed out and ugly and the (to me) biggest insult of all, it introduced the premium system. Bf3 made me realise DICE were treating anyone who wasn't a premium member as second class citizens. Oh and it also has one of the worst CoD clone campaigns I've ever played and marked the beginning of DICE stupidly trying to get in on Call of Duty's market share and doing what they were not good at while talking a big game about it to. Battlelog was also introduced with this game and turned out to be something nobody ever needed or wanted. Just annoying.

I was still interested in Bf4 of course and armed with the knowledge that if you're not premium you don't count I got Bf4 and Bf4 premium and jumped right in. Yes I played Bf4 during the period of much of its troubles and I played A LOT of it. (The mistake I think people are making is saying Bf4's only problems were that launch. I would actually argue that it's not.) I continued playing the game intensively until right before the arrival of the old maps DLC (Second Assault)
    ...And then I just stopped completely. Something just clicked into place I guess and I haven't even touched the game since despite having the season pass and only playing the first DLC. There were a lot of issues going around in my head concerning the game's actual depth or lack thereof, the way DICE treats its customers, the premium system, they way the game works on a deeper level, the 'optimal' way to play etc. It made me realise that the game was actually just bad at its core, mostly empty calories and extremely unrewarding to the dedicated player.

Few games in recent memory have left a taste in my mouth quite as bitter as Bf4.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Bad Company 2, because it's the right answer, but I just want to take a moment to give Hardline a little bit of love.

If you went into Hardline looking to play Conquest-mode, you would have been disappointed. The decreased emphasis on armor, aircraft and heavy weapons made that a bit of a non-starter, and fans were understandably not supportive. However, if you were willing to try out ANY of the new game modes, you were in for a fucking treat. Domination mode with mobile control points you need to blow up? Fuckin' Hotwire baby! Want to try and assassinate a target with a small team? Mother fucker we've got that! Hostage rescue? Got that too! MOTHER FUCKING HEISTS? HELL YEAH MOTHER FUCKER!!! Seriously, Hotwire and Bank Heist matches were some of the most fun I have had in a BF game since BC2. Riding shotgun with a grenade launcher taking pot-shots at an tanker truck, setting up roadblocks and lacing the ground with C4, weaving between buildings with a helicopter and raining death on the cars below, taking a zipline to an extraction zone and the ensuing fire fight as you wait for the helicopter to come. It was just very focused an intense and I loved every second of it.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad Company 2. In short, because EVERYTHING EXPLODED. Also, it had a Vietnam add-on that was dope.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bad Company 2 by far, although they ruined the campaign by removing most of the humor which made the original so good.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1942 and Vietnam are the ones I played and enjoyed the most. Bad Company 2 and BF3 are fun too.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1942 for me. That came out when I had a lot more time to put into games and I had more friends who played games. I played quite a bit of 2, but I fell off the series for a while after that. I played the Bad Company games, but only the single-player.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Bad Company 2. Fun is fun. People can get all snippy about PC vs Console players all they want....but fun is fun. I played so much BC2 and every moment was great.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BC2 for me. I played that game MUCH longer than any of the other BF titles recently.I just wish I had gotten that Vietnam DLC...

I do have a rather soft spot in my heart for BF2, but I think it's gameplay is a little shallow now. Though Project Reality sure fixed that.

Always wanted to play 2142. I remember there used to be some semi-pro matches online and on tech tv of that game and it always looked really fun. I was really hoping that the newest iteration was going to be 2143.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no question in my mind that Pocket Card Jockey is the best Battlefield game.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BrainScratch

Where's Battlefield Heroes on that list? I would vote for that!

(to be fair, Battlefield Heroes and a bit of Battlefield 3 on PS3 were the only Battlefield games I played...)

edit: Just saw "Other", I picked that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

Probably Bf2. I still feel BC and BC2 are highly regarded mostly for being on consoles and not really for being good battlefield games.

When it comes to actual game quality it's most likely going to be Bf2. It just did most things better than all the other games in the series and I wonder how many people who are praising BC2 to high heaven actually played much if Bf1 or Bf2.

I've played Bf3 for hundreds of hours but there is an aspect of that that it's basically just back to Bf2 only a bit worse. It has one of single the worst maps in modern FPS history (operation metro), DICE did its very best to make a beautiful game look washed out and ugly and the (to me) biggest insult of all, it introduced the premium system. Bf3 made me realise DICE were treating anyone who wasn't a premium member as second class citizens. Oh and it also has one of the worst CoD clone campaigns I've ever played and marked the beginning of DICE stupidly trying to get in on Call of Duty's market share and doing what they were not good at while talking a big game about it to. Battlelog was also introduced with this game and turned out to be something nobody ever needed or wanted. Just annoying.

I was still interested in Bf4 of course and armed with the knowledge that if you're not premium you don't count I got Bf4 and Bf4 premium and jumped right in. Yes I played Bf4 during the period of much of its troubles and I played A LOT of it. (The mistake I think people are making is saying Bf4's only problems were that launch. I would actually argue that it's not.) I continued playing the game intensively until right before the arrival of the old maps DLC (Second Assault)

...And then I just stopped completely. Something just clicked into place I guess and I haven't even touched the game since despite having the season pass and only playing the first DLC. There were a lot of issues going around in my head concerning the game's actual depth or lack thereof, the way DICE treats its customers, the premium system, they way the game works on a deeper level, the 'optimal' way to play etc. It made me realise that the game was actually just bad at its core, mostly empty calories and extremely unrewarding to the dedicated player.

Few games in recent memory have left a taste in my mouth quite as bitter as Bf4.

I couldn't agree more and I believe you are right that most people that played BC2 and it's there favorite never played BF2.BC2 is a fun MP game but it can't touch what BF2 did. And you're right BF3 level designs where awful it did feel like they where targeted COD players like you said even the colors in the game where washed out I like to think of that is when BF lost it's soul.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jec03 said:
    @hassun said:

I couldn't agree more and I believe you are right that most people that played BC2 and it's there favorite never played BF2.BC2 is a fun MP game but it can't touch what BF2 did. And you're right BF3 level designs where awful it did feel like they where targeted COD players like you said even the colors in the game where washed out I like to think of that is when BF lost it's soul.

FWIW I played a fair amount of BF2 and still think BC2 was better. Hard to explain, but it just felt more frantic and exciting.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically 1942, but me and my buddies back then played the crap out of the Desert Combat mod, while maybe trying the original game for just a few matches. Had some good times with BF2, 2142 and Vietnam as well, but DC's where it's at.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.