Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield

Franchise »

The Battlefield series is created by Digital Illusions CE and published by Electronic Arts. The games focus on large maps and vehicle combat with a strong focus on class-based teamwork. The Battlefield series spans multiple platforms and has a strong PC based following.

The latest IP to be optioned for a show that will never come out is Battlefield

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hayt

http://www.dice.se/news/paramount-television-anonymous-content-option-rights-battlefield-tv-series/

While I am normally surprised by the games that companies think would make good shows this is on another level. Battlefield is defined by its gameplay. You can't adapt the settings and characters because there are none. What would this even be? A middle eastern set action show? The budget required to capture the bombast of Battlefield with tanks and jets everywhere isn't the sort of thing shows are budgeted for.

What on earth is this going to be?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I'd watch a Battlefield: Bad Company tv show if it had those characters. Otherwise, this will never be made.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By bigsocrates

What are you talking about? You can't forget such memorable characters from Battlefield 4 like Irish and...the other guy and...the girl. I think there was a girl. We need a TV show to explore all their stories and motivations.

At the beginning of Battlefield 4 you shoot a guy on your team*. That was a highly dramatic moment! I almost remember something about him.

*I think that is right but maybe it is just a window?

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I doubt it will be of relation to anything to do with the games outside of it being modern military. They probably just wanted the name 'Battlefield' but will give it it's own story. Either way I probably won't even watch a snippit of it on youtube.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They can finally make Battlefield: Hardline The Game: The TV Show.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If it's a Bad Company-based series? Sure. I think a good writer could do some good things with those characters. Were those two games just happy accidents or something?

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Loading Video...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

They made a Battleship movie. They're making a Tetris trilogy.

The name is enough; it doesn't have to be related to the games in any way. They could just put out something like Black Hawk Down but call it Battlefield and people would still watch it.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd watch a Battlefield: Bad Company tv show if it had those characters. Otherwise, this will never be made.

I was gonna enter this thread and shit all over the idea of a Battlefield tv show and then I saw this little gem, that would be so good.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

These things are sold to make the person with the original rights some quick cash, while the acquiring party obtains the option to make a film/TV show if it is deemed useful later (this is why the most-generic, least-story-defined properties are quick sells - they can potentially become any kind of genre within a given setting but with the added bonus of an pre-built notable name). Even when the property isn't well known and understood, they're bought up in case the thing becomes insanely popular and their willing to capitalize on it. For example, after the success of The Fault in Our Stars book-film translation the company who bought the Paper Towns rights (book from the same author, the film rights acquired almost a decade earlier with no intention of filming it) was able to capitalise and create the film that until-that-point was indefinitely put on hold. Keeping rights is relatively inexpensive, and the potential pay-off for that one-in-a-million chance can be massive. Also, they're great things to sink assets into since you can use them as offshore-funding-opportunities (as well as other tax-avoiding schemes) and they are great things to have during liquidation (or just to reduce debts) as they can be sold without any effect on the current day-to-day work of the company.

Always take the acquisition of IP media translations with a grain of salt,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.