Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 1

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 21, 2016

The long-running Battlefield series goes even further back in time in the 15th installment, this time to the first World War.

New maps are great!

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Anyone checked them out yet? I fell off BF1 after about 40 hours but I'm back in a big way with these new maps. The French countryside is different enough that it feels like a meaningful addition, but I don't see anyone talking about this game anymi

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ivdamke

I made the intentional decision to skip premium this time with BF. The games used to hold my attention for a year or more but BF1 just dropped off for me after 100 odd hours. It's weird because it was for me mechanically the best BF in awhile, but I feel like I've moved on and entirely lost interest in the genre of FPS games that ain't bout nothin' but shootin' dudes.

So nah I haven't tried them, it's good they're panning out though.

WezqApe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WezqApe

Tried the new maps only once so far, but they seemed to be a welcome breath of fresh air. I was also feeling pretty much done after about 100 hours, but I'll probably keep going for a few more with these new maps.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Been meaning to check this out but without the season pass it's hard to justify spending more money on this game when there are so many other great titles to be played.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'll definitely try them out when you can buy the DLC on it's own. Not into season passes.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The maps are real good. It bums me out that they're still locking maps behind a paywall. More people should be able to enjoy the maps that they seem to have put so much work into. I'll totally buy weapon and vehicle skins (but not in a blind box), just open that stuff up for people. I don't know this game's player counts, but it feels like it's not good enough to keep splitting up the player base with all these new modes and paid maps.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I haven't played much BF1 since they nerfed the Martini-Henry. I was leveling up Scout specifically because that gun was so cool to use. I made it to Rank 9 on Scout and it got nerfed. Right as I was about to finally unlock it. I was pretty frustrated about it and stopped playing for a couple days and then I got distracted by other games so whoops!

I'll probably pick it up again soon though. Maybe I'll wait for a sale on Premium like I did for BF4.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By notnert427

Apparently the next expansion is supposed to be revealed in a few weeks (June 10), but has a projected release date of "late summer". I have to say, I'm kind of annoyed with the DLC release schedule thus far. They're throwing in a freebie map in between now and then, and they've made a few UI tweaks here and there, but the window of opportunity on keeping a playerbase is closing. If "In the Name of the Tsar" doesn't come out until August/September, then "Turning Tides" will inevitably overlap in Holiday 2017 with Battlefront 2, CoD WWII, etc., making "Apocalypse" likely a 2018 release.

I like Battlefield 1, but l'm not sure the community is going to be patient enough to wait this out among new hotness. That said, "In the Name of the Tsar" looks awesome, and it apparently features female soldiers from a actual unit called the "1st Russian Women's Battalion of Death", so that's pretty rad. This is the one I bought the season pass for, so hopefully it's worth the wait.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Never bought BF1 but I feel like map packs need to be free. Overwatch is able to do with microtransations covering the costs. EA should be able to do it also.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I kind of want to go back but I just really don't want to buy more maps, especially when they are dragged out how they are and as expensive as they are. Free would be great but at least give us an expansion type package or something. Done with this map pack bullshit.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@ivdamke said:

I made the intentional decision to skip premium this time with BF. The games used to hold my attention for a year or more but BF1 just dropped off for me after 100 odd hours. It's weird because it was for me mechanically the best BF in awhile, but I feel like I've moved on and entirely lost interest in the genre of FPS games that ain't bout nothin' but shootin' dudes.

I feel you on that. I have issues with the game I could see fixed but I'm not sure how it could grab me in the same way again overall. I do think everything to do with progression and unlocks still sucks in the game (to me always less satisfying than just about any game out there) and personally I would support more customization (let me be a medic with an SMG if I want).

But I had my fun with the game and I do not want to sound like an insufferable type that plays more than 100 hours of a game and bags on it like some bad Steam review.. I used to be the guy you describe but I haven't been for a while with mutliplayer games so must just be me. I enjoy ME 3 co-op a lot and something like Destiny (for PvE) is more likely to get me now.

I haven't gotten into it but just watching Player Unknown's Battlegrounds has made me think there is room to be excited by new takes that are a bit different and bring out other parts of gameplay (much more strategy, tactics, positioning, stealth, etc).

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivdamke said:

I feel you on that. I have issues with the game I could see fixed but I'm not sure how it could grab me in the same way again overall. I do think everything to do with progression and unlocks still sucks in the game (to me always less satisfying than just about any game out there) and personally I would support more customization (let me be a medic with an SMG if I want).

Yeah, the progression is brutal. I'm still enjoying the game in spite of it, but man, a lot of it is dumb, wholly unnecessary gating on Destiny levels. For example, I finally unlocked the Hellriegel, which is an arguably OP machine gun that I'd wanted to unlock because I was tired enough of getting killed by it that I knew it had to be worth getting. And it is that good, but it took the long-ass process of getting to level 10 in assault class (class level-specific unlocks is a bullshit additional currency, BTW).

Except there's now a better Hellriegel, with double the magazine capacity (to alleviate the gun's only real downside of slow reloads) and better stats across the board. I have accomplished one tier of the requirements to unlock it (300 kills), but the other is completely fucking asinine. It's "get 25 kills with anti-tank mines", which is near-impossible. Basically, I'm tossing mines in the roads and just hoping someone randomly runs over them in a vehicle. Feel the excitement.

I have a grand total of zero kills with the anti-tank mines so far, despite hours wasted trying. Maybe I could try to shoot them on the ground while someone runs by, if that even works. I may just cheese it with my buddy by intentionally killing each other in this manner so we can both unlock it. I don't even feel remotely cheap doing crap like that, as when the "progression" basically flips the player the bird, I'm happy to flip the bird right back.

I'm fine with the game encouraging players to use different weapons (and I actually like that the medals do this), but asking players to continually jump through hoops has a breaking point. I totally get how people find that a turn-off or tire of it. I will say that I don't think the DLC is overpriced (at least based on the first one). There is enough content to justify it (assuming the upcoming DLCs actually come out and are of similar depth/quality). I don't necessarily buy into the "other game gave maps away free!" argument, but it's not like EA needs the fucking money, either.

I could write pages about other small things that annoy me about Battlefield 1, but I'm still playing it and this post is already lengthy, so I'll quit bitching. It's a good, but flawed game. The next piece of DLC needs to get here sooner rather than later and be damn good, though.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Never bought BF1 but I feel like map packs need to be free. Overwatch is able to do with microtransations covering the costs. EA should be able to do it also.

I haven't been following BF1 to closely, but i did see in the news feed for it that they are working on a way that if someone in your group/squad has premium, you can all play those maps, but free overall would be the ideal option obviously.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@notnert427: Yeah I agree with your whole post.

For a bunch of guns you basically get what you want right away then only have those super long term unlocks that can take quite a while to get. It is a WWI game so there are a little less options, but I still think they could do way better. Like I said, I also would love more choices for say having an SMG as a medic. How about if you get to a certain level with the SMG on the Assault class, you can use it as a Medic? Almost like a Job system thing. Something a little out of the box maybe.

I am not someone who expects a bunch of free content but I just think it can be packaged in a better way to fans and structured in a more friendly way too, that doesn't split the userbase. It's a part of a number of things with BF where it doesn't stick out as awful but all together none of it is as good as other games on the market.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enough games are having new maps be free, it seems like BF needs to catch up. I enjoyed the game, but haven't played enough to justify the season pass. Seems like they're lagging behind the trend of not splitting the player base.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the premium pass but no one seems to be playing the new maps in my region so I'm definitely regretting the upgrade to premium. Playing on PC.

Has anyone else experienced this or is my local PC player base just too small?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Just wanted to mention this because I found it funny and also kind of crazy and a bit sad maybe... not sure. Anyways, BF 1 has basically now just put out their Complete/GOTY type version of BF 1 with the season pass and DLC. The only problem is, only 1 DLC pack is out right now. I just find it a funny way to repackage a season pass and a cheap main game and act like it's some great value and you are going to pop it in and have the whole package.

You can already get the base BF 1 game with EA Access at this point and I have seen it for very cheap.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: I mean the second major map pack is about to drop, and so far both expansions have added modes. there are two more after In the Name of the Tsar as well, so why not save 50 bucks off of the original price?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtb08: I'm not saying I don't get it at all but it's hardly any sort of value to anyone and really in a lot of ways false advertising looking like a complete pack. There seems to be content to the additions but they've taken a while and they split the userbase. I quite like BF 1 but the DLC plan has not been good.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By notnert427

I don't really see a problem here. I'm annoyed that they've taken this long to finally get to the second piece of DLC with the In the Name of the Tsar expansion that's about to come out, but it looks like it's of high quality from what I've seen (just as They Shall Not Pass was). I don't find it overly deceptive to repackage the game + DLC edition now as a way to try to capitalize on the In the Name of the Tsar expansion just because all the DLC isn't out yet. Value-wise, it isn't particularly unfair, either, as piecemeal the premium pass by itself without the game is still priced at $49.99 (Xbox One). I spent $110 last year on what is being sold here now for $48, so that seems like a reasonable "discount over time" progression.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty funny that they made their "goty" edition before all the dlc was out. A hearty fucking for anyone silly enough to buy a season pass.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Busto1299

If the new Russian maps are about to come out, I wonder what the time table for the the next 2 expansions is going to be like? Spring and late summer but just in 2018?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
    deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll check it out on EA Acccess. Not willing to buy a GOTY edition at $50-60 for an otherwise "free" game no matter how good. If Access members get all the DLC and Passes at a discount like $30-40 then maybe.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sahalarious

@hayt: How is this a fucking? is there something leading you to believe they wont be releasing the final two map packs? this is a multiplayer game, releasing all the content at once would create a map hopper so diverse that you'd never see most of the maps, these are 30 minute matches on average. I guess people find a reason to be indignant about just about anything

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtb08 said:

@hayt: How is this a fucking? is there something leading you to believe they wont be releasing the final two map packs? this is a multiplayer game, releasing all the content at once would create a map hopper so diverse that you'd never see most of the maps, these are 30 minute matches on average. I guess people find a reason to be indignant about just about anything

The people who bought the season pass did so largely to save money over buying them individually (that is the reason I hear the most, I don't buy season passes) and yet before that pass has even run it's course they are releasing what is effectively a discounted version of the season pass. Maybe my language is too strong but the point I am making is it's a pretty valuable lesson about how much season passes benefit the seller and how little they benefit the user.

euantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was kind of hoping to see some story DLC and not just multiplayer maps to be honest. I enjoyed the way the single player was structured in BF1 even if it was a little short.

Doesn't help that their matchmaking system seems to have problems with my internet and keeps losing conenction to the server whilst starting a game - something that wasn't a problem in BF4 but happens on both PS4 and PC for BF1.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.