Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 1

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 21, 2016

The long-running Battlefield series goes even further back in time in the 15th installment, this time to the first World War.

Battlefield 1 trial out now (10 hours for 5 bucks)

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

The Play First Trial for Battlefield 1 is out now on Origin and Xbox One. This 10 hour trial is available to all Origin Access and EA Access subscribers. So by paying for a single month of the service (5 bucks) you can play a good chunk of BF1 before the game is officially released. Here's a snippet from EA on what's included in the trial.

Five maps and four modes will be available, including St. Quentin Scar, Amiens, Sinai Desert, Fao Fortress and Suez in the Conquest, Rush, Operations, and Domination modes. There’s also a taste of the singleplayer campaign, with the missions Storm of Steel and Through Mud and Blood. Your progress carries over, too, if you decide to buy the full game after your Play First Trial ends.

I got my fill of Star Wars: Battlefront through the EA Access 10 hour trial last year and am looking forward to probably doing the same with Battlefield this year. I've still got an ongoing yearly subscription to EA Access on the Xbox, but decided to invest 5 bucks to play it on the PC. Between the releases of Gears 4, Civ VI and Titanfall 2 I don't think that I'd have more than 10 hours to invest in Battlefield even if I did buy the full release. Then again EA/Origin Access entitles users to a 10% discount of the Battlefield 1, so there is a slight possibility that I'd pick the game up at the end of the trial if I find myself having a really good time with it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It seems like a really shitty new business practice that might make them a lot of money. It's basically a rental fee except a week you get 10 hours which doesn't seem all that good. In this case I think people would know what they're getting, which is essentially just another Battlefield game except a lot more scaled back just like Battlefront.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Then again, you can spread the 10 hours along a whole month or longer if you want to. I probably play most of my games for less than 10 hours, so a deal like this is excellent for me.

And with the 5 dollar subscription you get 6-13 dollars off your BF1 purchase, so you're not really losing any money even if you were intending to buy the full game.

Of course EA hopes that people will keep subscribing and ultimately pay a lot more than 5 bucks. EA Access has been pretty good value on the Xbox for 25 bucks a year, but the catalogue on the PC is currently a lot smaller and I'm not sure that you can get a yearly subscription on that side.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@isomeri said:

@humanity: Then again, you can spread the 10 hours along a whole month or longer if you want to. I probably play most of my games for less than 10 hours, so a deal like this is excellent for me.

And with the 5 dollar subscription you get 6-13 dollars off your BF1 purchase, so you're not really losing any money even if you were intending to buy the full game.

Of course EA hopes that people will keep subscribing and ultimately pay a lot more than 5 bucks. EA Access has been pretty good value on the Xbox for 25 bucks a year, but the catalogue on the PC is currently a lot smaller and I'm not sure that you can get a yearly subscription on that side.

Also one thing to bear in mind is that there's no way to rent PC games. Heck, in Finland there's no real way to rent console games either. The comparison isn't very apt for like half the world where game rentals aren't a thing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@isomeri said:

Also one thing to bear in mind is that there's no way to rent PC games. Heck, in Finland there's no real way to rent console games either. The comparison isn't very apt for like half the world where game rentals aren't a thing.

Well then I stand corrected.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@isomeri said:

I've actually found a lot of personal value in EA Access because of the Vault - I don't want to buy Madden or FIFA but if they're in there as part of my $5/month then hell yeah I'll take Chelsea to the cup.

I did the same as Isomeri with Battlefront as well, and that's actually going into the EA Access Vault as well as the Origin PC Access stuff here sometime soon (ish)? alongside Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Overall it's actually worked for me but I can see where the objections may lie.

This is especially great because I have a buddy I sparsely play Battlefield games with on Xbox One but it's always fun - I didn't want to buy a second copy (buying on PS4 for the main crew) just to play with one buddy like four times a year, but this allows me to get more than my fill in with him, as and even try it out this early.

Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wanted to update with a bit of a 2-hour experience - the game is pretty tight in most aspects, but I still notice the old DICE netcode issues from time to time; getting killed by someone behind/hidden by a wall or hill, shooting someone a bunch to just get murdered and throw my hands up asking "why".

The maps and action are pretty intense, I'm most excited to get into a good cohesive squad that works together, as now it's mostly the traditional Battlfield get into a squad and scatter play.

I was sadly not able to matchmake into operations at all - not sure if that's by design but I really wanted to see this mode. Either way, I'm getting the game, but wanted to see this epic scale new-rush style mode.

The war bond progression is kind of cool, and I like where a lot of the things currently lie overall - I really like the "x minutes until level", a small touch but it's going to go a ways to have me think "oh well one more round won't hurt and I'll level"

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Obviously if you already are coming in hating on the game it isn't a good deal. Come on dude.

I may try this out just because I can't afford to buy the game for a while.

Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: was that in response to my observations? If so, I was just stating my experience with the game on day one of relatively limited availability.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
    deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_mccallister: There are only two servers up right now. East and West for US. That's why quickmatches aren't working properly.

Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beardandcompany: thanks for clarity - I noticed the Server Browser was full of 0/64's too - hopefully they start ramping a few things up here over the weekend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_mccallister: Yeah, I'm sure they will. The special edition "play early" doesn't start until I think the 18th, it should start growing more around then.

Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After getting some more time in on PC and Xbox One I'm shocked that I actually had way more fun in the PC version. It was a mix of doing well in the airship, actually getting into multiple operations game modes, and the chat was surprisingly civil and constructive - asking for help, talking about what was good with the game, even had enemies complimenting me on a good bombing run. I think I came to expect vitriol and utter slime in all gaming communities - and I'm sure when the game releases it won't be as civil with an influx of players, but it really threw me for a loop.

In the beta I thought vehicles were super OP but the other day playing stumbled on the engineer AT Rocket Gun, which was fun to plop down - and the return of mortars are pretty cool too. Overall I'm more excited about the game after a few rounds this weekend.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the beta I thought vehicles were super OP but the other day playing stumbled on the engineer AT Rocket Gun, which was fun to plop down

If people haven't used this weapon: do. It's so badass. Also awesome for enemies hiding in buildings. I was even picking guys off of horses with it in the Beta.

Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: didn't even think of that - that's an incredible tactic for those terrifying ponies. I really can't stress how much I enjoyed this trial so far - the campaign really wowed me so far too. I liked the stealth elements had a bit more weight - and as I tend to do with other games it made me get really excited for what's after BF1 (even though it's not out). After playing Fallout 4 I thought "wow Elder Scrolls VI will be amazing" and now I'm thinking that more than ever I want -NO NEED- DICE to hit WWII again. I think they're showing some maturity in storytelling and the way the engines and power can portray war now really have me excited. THERE'S NEVER BEEN A BETTER TIME FOLKS.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_mccallister: Thanks for the impressions man. I am broke right now so have to wait a bit to buy but I'm so excited. Having singleplayer be quality is a surprise and great to hear.

I would love more historical shooters. I think there's plenty to go back from and hopefully we aren't the only fans that don't need jetpacks and grappling hooks in our shooters. In a lot of ways to me this game is really very WWII given how the weapon balance is with so many SMGs and everything (my favorite thing about WWII games is the balance of weapon types, all distinct and interesting) but a proper WWII game would be welcome as well.

TrinketNPinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beardandcompany: absolutely splendid! No bucks from me, then. Could have set up at least one EU server.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trinketnpinker: the servers may be up but it depends on how many people are playing I think though. I hope someone else can chime on for UK servers.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beardandcompany: @trinketnpinker: On the PC there absolutely are EU servers up and running, but only a few and those ones are usually full. Using the quickplay option is pretty pointless, but if you go through the server browser it'll only take 1-2 minutes to find a game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: Now they're up. When the trial first started, I didn't even see any EU servers until the day after or so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have about 3 hours left on my trial. I wasn't planning to buy the game, but I absolutely will come Tuesday when I have a bit more spare cash.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.