Dragon Ball Teaze

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hearing Dragon Ball references on a lot of content lately is making me want to listen to All Systems Goku again. Are we going to get a followup? If so, would you want another Dragon Ball podcast or a watch of another series?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I mean I do want to hear Jeff and Dan's thoughts on Yu Yu Hakusho. Specifically, the Dark Tournament arc.

But I wouldn't bet on them doing another full-length anime podcast. During All Systems Goku, they frequently mentioned having to cram five episodes into a Sunday evening or early morning or something, that combined with all of the unwanted recommendations like the statement I opened this post with probably doesn't help chances.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: Yeah, all those recommendations just seem kind of pushy and needless. We all know they should be watching Kinnikuman aka Ultimate Muscle aka M.U.S.C.L.E.

But on a more serious note, I'd like to just hear them discuss anime stuff in a more wider capacity than any of them just mentioning that they're watching an anime. Even Alex is binging on animes now, so some discussion would be cool. Heck, just more discussion on non-gaming stuff that is not the Hotspot.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I think they'd get a big kick out of Dragon Ball Super. You get more of everything they love, but more of the weird/short-term adventure stuff from Dragonball that they only got a taste of in Z.

burritocreases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff on any classic anime would be dope. But of course Dragon ball would be funny to hear him on, but also would be great to hear him talk about something like Gintama or Bobobo

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do GT you cowards! In all seriousness, All Systems Goku was a ton of fun. It was some of the most fun I had watching anime in a long time. Hearing people who are really not all that into anime watch something like Dragonball and following that journey was such a blast. I'm not sure if they can capture that again, but it would be neat if they somehow could do it again.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Resurrecting this ever-important thread. I love video games but have really enjoyed some of the GB side-content like Armed and Rangerous and All Systems Goku. I am in the middle of a re-listen right now.

Based on their conversations within the podcast at the time, I think Jeff and Dan would benefit most from the balanced adventure of OG Dragon Ball. It has an outrageous story, quality animation, and it fills in worthwhile time periods they have speculated about. It is also of a similar length to Dragon Ball Z Kai so they know exactly the time commitment they would be getting in to.

I would really like to hear them go through Dragon Ball GT as well! It just doesn't benefit them or the audience as much because it's not as compelling as DB or DBZ. It's still outrageous in its storytelling. It has unforgettable moments, but there are a couple rough episodes peppered in and it is frustrating to watch so many good characters get passed over. I do really love the way GT uses Bulma at the end, the way it sends off Goku, and the TV Special.

I don't think Dan or Jeff would be as happy with Dragon Ball Super, they would enjoy it but it lacks a lot of the brutality and damage in the combat that they enjoyed so much about DBZ/K. It has the benefit of being a 'complete product' in that it comes with last time on… and next time on… segments which is fun.

gochiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gochiking

Dragon ball Z is one of my favorite anime all time still Watching some old episode on YouTube.......

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonefmonk: Based on how much they enjoyed the style of fights and the antics of Mr. Satan and Buu, I think they'd be bored to tears by OG Dragonball. Having recently watched that show, I think people misremember how much filler and flashbacks are woven into the fabric of that show. That's not to say I didn't enjoy my time with it, but having just listened to All Systems Goku again: I doubt GT and OG would hold their attention.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jasonefmonk

@undeadpool:

Yo dawg you know Jeff left the site right? This whole thing is a pipe dream now.

I have also recently watched the show (and listened to the podcast) and your comments are the antithesis of how I feel.

‘Based on how much they enjoyed the style of fights and the antics of Mr. Satan and Buu, I think they'd be bored to tears by OG Dragonball.’

Dragonball has a ton of silly characters with a less-than-ideal understanding of what is right and wrong, just like Mr. Satan and Buu. There are also fun and creative enemies and creative fights. It has excellent animation with much fewer repeated frames than many Dragon Ball Z fights. Alternating and reused frames was specifically a negative animation trait brought up by the guys on All Systems Goku. Clever ways to defeat an enemy or use your powers was always brought up as a positive. In Dragon Ball you have running up the lookout tower instead of climbing, fun Nimbus stuff, riding on a column that was just thrown, power pole fun, using beams to fly, and many more unique ideas.

The cavalcade of characters, including the shit-ass Yamcha, would be a delight to hear described by Dan and Jeff.

But again, this shit is dead.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonefmonk: Uh, yeah, I was under the impression that the forums are for enthusiast discussion and loveline-style help, not concrete planning of stuff that must happen.

Dragon Ball also has so much filler, you can cut 6 minutes/episode out of the Tenkaichi Budokai runs (and that's NOT an exaggeration, I timed it), the animation doesn't repeat as much but is generally a lower-quality, and far more cutesy. And the stories oftne rely on the same "we found a new powerup for Goku" result on top of all that. While I agree that there's definitely more adventure, I think for their style: DBS' alternating "big saga, downtime, big saga, downtime" would be more up their alley. Imagine, IMAGINE, their reaction to the Arale episode after Buu broke the fourth wall once.

Plus the characters actually grow and develop (apart from Goku, but that's true of the entire franchise as a whole). And they didn't love things LIKE Satan and Buu, they loved Satan and Buu. I think the emphasis on "travelling circus"-style stories and adventures would be a big turn-off.

You get things like Goku going back to the Kaioken, you get Beerus and Whis (best addition to the series in a long time), you get the Broly movie. You want creative fights? That's what Universe 6 Saga and Universe Survival Saga are all about (especially if you're not watching week-to-week).

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undeadpool:

‘Dragon Ball also has so much filler, you can cut 6 minutes/episode out of the Tenkaichi Budokai runs (and that's NOT an exaggeration, I timed it)’

It’s really funny that you think your subjective idea of what is ‘filler’ is somehow important. It’s also really funny that you keep harping on the ‘filler’ at all when it was very clear Jeff and Dan enjoyed the non-fight non-expository moments in Dragon Ball Z Kai. They spoke about this explicitly and sought out the *most* filler of episodes, the one where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive.

You should re-listen to the podcast.

‘the animation doesn't repeat as much but is generally a lower-quality, and far more cutesy’

The animation in last couple story-arcs of Dragon Ball and the beginning of Z are of the highest quality the series ever achieves. You can’t be serious.

And for the ‘cutesy’ comment, holy shit who cares?! You need to re-experience this entire website where the people producing content find disliking a timeless art-style because it is ‘cute’ pretty laughable. It’s also hardly true, as again, Dragon Ball shows characters bloodied and with holes in them. More damage than Dragon Ball Super, obviously.

Your arguments for Dragon Ball Super instead of Dragon Ball are nonsensical. Satan and Buu are barely in Super. Arale is in Dragon Ball first, and in a Dragon Ball movie. You claim the characters grow and develop but Dragon Ball Super is literally a Dragon Ball Z midquel that has the characters locked in an un-developing state from before where Dan and Jeff saw them last. Are you serious? You do see how several characters grow and develop over the course of Dragon Ball?…Right?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonefmonk: The common thread among these things is that you're recommending based on what YOU like, not what THEY say they like. You're SURE they'll like Dragonball more, but everything they love is so much more pronounced and developed in Super. I think it may be you who has to re-listen, and really listen to what they say they like, not what you assume they would.

And yeah, I'm banging on about "filler" in Dragonball, and you're clearly not understanding why. It's because it's what so many people give that show a pass because of the time when it came out. But the pacing can slow to being absolutely glacial for entire runs of entire episodes. It doesn't matter why it happened, or the context: in modern days, in the long-term, it kills pacing. I think they'd love Dragonball if they just watched it on their own, but doing a podcast about it would be insufferable. And I don't mean story filler, I mean actual filler, I mean recapping during the episode, I'm talking about six entire minutes per episode, not ENTIRE EPISODES. And that's why Super would be the better choice: there are whole episodes about Gohan trying to be a movie star, the Clone nonsense with a voice acting Easter Egg, the stuff in Super basically is the stuff that they sought out. Whereas in original Dragonball, it's baked into each episode, minutes at a time. Making it unskippable.

That's it, that's all. There's more action and at the scale they like. There's more filler that's comedy and actually helps the pace. And the style is far more up what they say they like on the podcast. I'm not trying to shit on Dragonball, I really enjoyed Dragonball.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

‘The common thread among these things is that you're recommending based on what YOU like, not what THEY say they like. You're SURE they'll like Dragonball more, but everything they love is so much more pronounced and developed in Super.’

Holy shit. Re-read my original post and every reply I’ve made. Every time I mention something positive or negative about the TV shows we are discussing I back it up with reference to the opinions of Jeff and Dan as represented in podcast in question.

I am dumber for having engaged with this scrotum.

This is my last post because this site is dead and nothing is left but these ghastly trolls.

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw the thread title and got curious about it. Forgot it was mine lol. Instead of talking about a great series from our 90s childhood that we got to relive through other's eyes, this thread now provides a way to relive 90s internet forum arguments from when we were 14 years old in the 90s. What a time. Thanks!