Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

Which difficulty will be the most fun?

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By eristocrat

Just got Alpha Protocol from gamefly and wanted to hear from people who liked it how best to enjoy it.  Is the gunplay in this game broken enough where I should just play on easy and experience the story or is normal difficulty not too bad? 

Also, any tips for paths to upgrade/not to upgrade?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

It's not broken. It's just dice roll. Use the skills and you'll play fine. 

Also, pistol, stealth, health, and martial arts. those were my skills.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Animasta

pistol stealth martial arts, I would suggest recruit and easy as your first run, then you can do normal and veteran later.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Bosses are BS. Play it on easy and get to the good parts of the game quicker.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Getz

play it on easy dude. Swallow your pride, and just experience the other parts of the game with less frustration in between. Also, pistols and stealth seem to be the easiest way to get through the game since you can sneak up on people and headshot them.

fudge91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fudge91

Dont spend all points in unarmed & stealth,  you'll encounter some parts that require gunplay. My tip stick with pistols & stealth as your main skills, later on you'll be able to pull of headshots from behind cover and stay invisible for a long time, very efficient  (overpowerd almost) Also normal difficulity is very doable if you're familiar with rpg's.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Vorbis

Easy.  
    Recruit.
    Stealth. 
    Pistols.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

Didn't feel that challenging on normal, mind you. Any average player could do it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

Normal mode is fine. Hard mode, though, is best taken on with the Veteran origin since it can be a fucking nightmare.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

Play it on normal it's just fine.
    There is only 1 boss in the whole game who is of any difficult.

Also any weapon works as long as you max the skill.
    You don't have to be stealthy if you don't want to.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fugie7

play it on easy or normal. you'll have a good time in those modes

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Azteck

Normal.

@Tennmuerti said:

" Play it on normal it's just fine. There is only 1 boss in the whole game who is of any difficult.  Also any weapon works as long as you max the skill. You don't have to be stealthy if you don't want to. "

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By SteamPunkJin

This thread makes me feel like I should start my game over, I did recruit on Hard and always seem to get stuck when it comes down to the boss - then I have to just reload at the safe house and hope there are side missions to do to boost the XP. You probably shouldn't do what I did....

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    " This thread makes me feel like I should start my game over, I did recruit on Hard and always seem to get stuck when it comes down to the boss - then I have to just reload at the safe house and hope there are side missions to do to boost the XP. You probably shouldn't do what I did.... "
    That's literally the situation I kept finding myself in! I was even playing on recruit, too, and I unexplainably piled my points into the shotgun/submachine skills with regards to my weapons of choice for that playthrough. 

Instead I completed it on normal as a recruit, then completed hard mode now with the unlocked veteran origin. Dramatically easier, just from being able to start out with all the necessities like stealth instantly giving you the ability to forever see the guards via the arrow icons.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Play it on Easy. For the love of God, play it on Easy. It's a much better experience. 

OR - If you're on Normal, don't do the Moscow missions until everything else is completed. That boss fight is a bitch if you're not leveled up enough.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Azteck: yes
    Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Grillbar
    @Eristocrat: 

well if you go all out and treat the shooting like an 3rd person shooter and dont use the assult rifle then the shooting feels broken, since none of the other weapons work for that. 
    if you do it stealth or atleast kinda stealth then then its okay. 
    i played it semi stealth on normal and had no problem so you can do that without problems just started on hard and its still not that big a challange aslong as you dont go full assault on them.the only problem your gonna have in the game on the harder diff's are the bosses and even those can get done with ease if you do it right and spec you char right. 
    so basicly i think you should go any path you want the first time, and upgrade in toughness, stealth and or pistol (pistol is really great for bosses)
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

Only play Hard with Veteran. So I recommend play Recruit on Normal and then Veteran on Hard. Stealth, Pistols and Health are a must. My character went into a lot of other weird skills which I didn't use and it made the game a bit harder for me (the way a real RPG should work)

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eristocrat

Thanks for the advice everybody, always nice to know you can count on fellow bombers for info.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By septim

My advice is to play on easy. The gameplay is not the highlight of AP. Also there are some seriously unbalanced parts of the game. A couple bosses in particular. Just come to experience the story. 

If you find dispatching fools to a breeze, just think that's probably exactly how Bond feels.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Animasta
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " Play it on Easy. For the love of God, play it on Easy. It's a much better experience.  OR - If you're on Normal, don't do the Moscow missions until everything else is completed. That boss fight is a bitch if you're not leveled up enough. "
    and doing taipei before the moscow boss makes him much easier :P
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Laketown said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " Play it on Easy. For the love of God, play it on Easy. It's a much better experience.  OR - If you're on Normal, don't do the Moscow missions until everything else is completed. That boss fight is a bitch if you're not leveled up enough. "
    and doing taipei before the moscow boss makes him much easier :P "
    Very true.
    Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Eaxis

I completed the game on normal as a recruit. I was level 8 when I met Brayko. I saw a tip on youtube on how to beat him, and Then it was easy from there. I love stealth games and I really enjoyed taking out 6 guys in a row just using invisibility and punching them in the throat. Upgrade stealth, pistols and martial art.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By yinstarrunner

Normal wasn't too bad.  Take Stealth, pistols, and whatever else you want.  Those are the two big ones.

IMPORTANT THOUGH: You NEED to put two points in your sabotage skill (I think that's what it's called).  You'll thank me later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.