Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Character » appears in 6 games

An acclaimed novelist suffering from a serious, long-term case of writer's block, Alan Wake and his wife Alice retreat to the obscure town of Bright Falls, Washington, to escape the bustle of New York. When Alice goes missing, Alan seeks her out while battling against a mysterious dark force that threatens everything.

1 week early! (Updated with impressions)

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Edited By jimbo_n

So somehow my Pre-order was shipped ONE WEEK early. The SE release date is 14/5 but somehow they messed up by a whole WEEK. I am extremely hyped to finally see a copy of this game in reality and I will update this post with impressions later today. 

[[Gameplay Update]] 
    Episode 1 done. Initial impressions.
    Alan Wake is a masterpiece in storytelling, writing and building atmosphere. Sound design, music choice and events are triggered and chosen with such perfection that they instantly sets the mood just the right way. The small but important details in sound design are extra appearant to me here.  
    On top of this (or part of this) is the fantastic things that you see on televisions scattered around in cabins in the dark forest that you are traversing. I won't spoil it for you but these are a big part of the wierd lynchian atmosphere that the game have started to build up and already.  
    After 1 single episode, I already don't really know where I am and what is really going on. Am I awake? am I asleep, am I insane? These are the twists and turns I absolutely love about a good single player game and Alan Wake does it better than any other game (or movie!) in recent memory.  
    The similarities between a work of David Lynch and the game are already washing over me and let me tell you right now that if love a good Lynch movie (or TV series *cough* Twin Peaks *cough*) you'll be pleasantly suprised at how well Remedy handles is rather than just ripping it off.  
    They have set out to get into your head and mess with it and its already working since I'm already actually starting to "suspect" a person of really being someone else and building up my own explanations for things in my head. 
    The scattered manuscript pages that you find are so well written even Stephen King would be envious and they give a wierd sense of forseeing the future by your own written words that adds even further to the mystic and twisted tone of the game (you also see yourself on a television being all crazy, Lost Highway anyone?). 
    The game sports an unrivaled lighting engine. If there was 1 thing Remedy worked hard on all these years its the environment lighting. Its simply out of this world. It work nice in cooperation with the very lightbased gameplay. You depend heavily on lightsources and its a fresh gameplay element that works very well. It's also closely tied to the mystery and its revealed right off the bat that your wife has an insane fear of darkness. 
    The plot and atmopshere thickens for every step you take in Alan Wake and I am truly blown away right now.
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jimbo_n

So somehow my Pre-order was shipped ONE WEEK early. The SE release date is 14/5 but somehow they messed up by a whole WEEK. I am extremely hyped to finally see a copy of this game in reality and I will update this post with impressions later today. 

[[Gameplay Update]] 
    Episode 1 done. Initial impressions.
    Alan Wake is a masterpiece in storytelling, writing and building atmosphere. Sound design, music choice and events are triggered and chosen with such perfection that they instantly sets the mood just the right way. The small but important details in sound design are extra appearant to me here.  
    On top of this (or part of this) is the fantastic things that you see on televisions scattered around in cabins in the dark forest that you are traversing. I won't spoil it for you but these are a big part of the wierd lynchian atmosphere that the game have started to build up and already.  
    After 1 single episode, I already don't really know where I am and what is really going on. Am I awake? am I asleep, am I insane? These are the twists and turns I absolutely love about a good single player game and Alan Wake does it better than any other game (or movie!) in recent memory.  
    The similarities between a work of David Lynch and the game are already washing over me and let me tell you right now that if love a good Lynch movie (or TV series *cough* Twin Peaks *cough*) you'll be pleasantly suprised at how well Remedy handles is rather than just ripping it off.  
    They have set out to get into your head and mess with it and its already working since I'm already actually starting to "suspect" a person of really being someone else and building up my own explanations for things in my head. 
    The scattered manuscript pages that you find are so well written even Stephen King would be envious and they give a wierd sense of forseeing the future by your own written words that adds even further to the mystic and twisted tone of the game (you also see yourself on a television being all crazy, Lost Highway anyone?). 
    The game sports an unrivaled lighting engine. If there was 1 thing Remedy worked hard on all these years its the environment lighting. Its simply out of this world. It work nice in cooperation with the very lightbased gameplay. You depend heavily on lightsources and its a fresh gameplay element that works very well. It's also closely tied to the mystery and its revealed right off the bat that your wife has an insane fear of darkness. 
    The plot and atmopshere thickens for every step you take in Alan Wake and I am truly blown away right now.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By haggis

Lucky bastard. :)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

Sweet deal. I think I would like this game. But I'll have to wait as I do with many new releases.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Vod_Crack

So lucky...

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#5  Edited By vigorousjammer

you lucky fuck! *shows extreme face of envy!*
    enjoy it... I'll be playing it A WEEK FROM NOW!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust
    @haggis said:
    " Lucky bastard. :) "
    Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I have a terrible dilemma. I don't know if I will be getting this or Red Dead Redemption. I've heard so many amazing things about Alan Wake and there's nothing I love more than a well written, well designed, atmospheric thriller. But RDR looks so fucking badass! Decisions suck!

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Bionicicide

Can you just say how the in-game lip-syncing is? Skimmed a blog that said it was bad.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By elko84

Lucky duck

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Jimbo_N:  Nice, sweet deal man have fun with it!
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jimbo_n
    @Bionicicide said:
    "Can you just say how the in-game lip-syncing is? Skimmed a blog that said it was bad. "

Yes the characters faces this noke make the jumo to this generation at all. On the other hand it hasnt bothered me at all because its overshadowed by the overall atmosphere and mood. And more story is told out of cutscenes rather than in one.
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meltac

Not faaaaaaaiiiiir! ):

Marmaladebrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Marmaladebrat

Keep posting what you think of the game. It is nice to get another perspective. I liked Brad's review, but another voice is nice too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.