Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

3D Dot Game Heroes

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 11, 2010

A PS3 game developed by Silicon Studio that mixes old-school 2D gameplay with 3D graphics and character creation.

Is the $40 price too much?

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sopranosfan

Just in case not attached to correct forums I am talking about 3d dot game heroes.     
    I had just discovered this game and was pretty excited about it until I found out it was going to cost $40.  When I saw it I thought for sure it would be a $15-20 release like so many other retro clones on both PSN and Xbox live.  I mean I am sure it will eventually go down in price and I will get it then but it just seams strange that a game like this is $40.

Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Dom

I think it's a fair price

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

Interesting...  I'd have to play a demo to determine how much I'd be willing to pay for it.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By KingBroly

They want it to sell.  $40 for something that is crazy Japanese, the price is fair given today's anti-Japanese game market.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dogma

Correct me if I'm wrong but ain't this a retail game that you can buy in stores? This is not a PSN download game so 15-20 bucks hardly seems reasonable even for a budget retail game.

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blueman

I heard it was very short, too. I'm still going to get it, but i'll wait until the price comes down a bit more.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KingBroly

I've heard it's 15+ hours.  I'd consider 8 hours to be short.

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Ratcabbage

This is a PS3 exclusive retail game. It''s not like the retro game clone released on XBL or PSN.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sopranosfan
    @Dogma: yes it is a retail game but it just doesn't seem like it should be compared to other games like it.  You can find it at Gamestop and Amazon.

@Ratcabbage said:
    "

This is a PS3 exclusive retail game. It''s not like the retro game clone released on XBL or PSN.

"
    I understand that but there are games just as good on PSN and Xbox live.  I just think it should have been a download game. 
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By beargirl1

40$ sounds like a fine deal to me. i did hear the game's very short but at least it's better than playing full price for a short game. 

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By turbo_toaster

$40 is damned fair for 3D Dot Game Heroes, imo.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Seems like they could have released this at full price considering the content. It's a 12-15 hour game with a decently fleshed out tower defense mode. $60 may have been a  bit of a stretch but $40 is perfect, Atlus knows they have a fan-base with a game like this; the price is just the icing on the cake.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dogma
    @sopranosfan: I understand where you coming from but because it's a boxed copy and a game that actually has had some marketing behind it it's not wierd that they want to charge 40 bucks for the game. I have no opinion about the lenght and how much game time you get for your money, because I don't have the facts there.

I think we are having the old Shadow Complex discussion right now about what "feels" like a download game or not. I'm not saying I think it's a good idea to sell the game for this price, I just saying I understand why they are doing it.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SSully

It well worth the price. I believe in the IGN review the writer said it took him over 25 hours to play through the game, it would take about 15 if you rushed. Also it is suppose to have good replay value. Its providing more content then most full priced games this gen.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dogma
    @SSully: If this is the case then I don't see any problem that the price is at 40 bucks. I believe that people get fooled by the look and think it's a short downloadble gimmick game.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Marz

Depends if there is a lot of content.  Which by reading around has a decent amount.  It is a fair price.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SSully
    @Dogma said:
    " @SSully: If this is the case then I don't see any problem that the price is at 40 bucks. I believe that people get fooled by the look and think it's a short downloadble gimmick game. "
    Exactly! I remember picking up legend of zelda link to the past new for around 50 dollars when it first came out. 3D dot game heroes sounds to be about as long, if not longer, offer the same kind of replay value with some extra features, and has some modern day enhancements. I would say we are getting a great deal with this game.
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sopranosfan

Well then I hate to say this but it sounds to me like Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers, and probably a few others really undercharged for their games.  I say this because they had better graphics, as long of a game and as good of gameplay.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Those games are a lot shorter.  Sure it is a retro game clone, but it is a lot longer.  The game makes the value not the graphics.  As long as the gameplay is solid and fun, and provides me with plenty of hours of entertainment, then it is totally worth the $40. 

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Warfare
    @Dom said:

" I think it's a fair price "

I agree.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By asurastrike
    @sopranosfan said:
    " @Dogma: yes it is a retail game but it just doesn't seem like it should be compared to other games like it.  You can find it at Gamestop and Amazon.

@Ratcabbage said:
    "

"
    I understand that but there are games just as good on PSN and Xbox live.  I just think it should have been a download game.  "
    How did you know there were games just as good on PSN and XBLA 2 weeks BEFORE the game came out? Just wondering.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Turbo_Toaster said:
    " $40 is damned fair for 3D Dot Game Heroes, imo. "
    Yup.  Seems cheap really, if you think of the fact that you get a Zelda clone with customisable characters.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ttocs

After playing the game for a few hours last night, I can honestly say that $40 is more than a fair price for a game like this.  I don't know if I'd buy it if it were 60, maybe at 50, but 40?  40 is perfect. 

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By PureRok

It's only $40 and your complaining? Hell, I thought it was $60, so this is great new to me.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Kyle

I was going to buy it at $60, so when I heard it was only going to cost $40, it was a done deal for me.

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By PenguinNerd

It's too cheap. I'd pay 60, because it's worth it.  When I heard it was going to be 40 i was super excited.

Tatsukishi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Tatsukishi

I always think 60 dollars is to high a price no matter what game it is. This game is as good as any other game out there. I am glad I only had to pay 40 for it but I would also prefer that to be the standard price for all games. 

This game is better then over half the games released these days don't let a low price point fool you into thinking its lacking in something.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fini_fly

It's $45 in Canada, so I'm going to wait until it drops in price a bit. 

Edit: 
    Or trade in something for it.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By killroycantkill

$40 is a genius price point. Considering that many other games that are way crappier still come out for $69.99.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#30  Edited By cid798
    @sopranosfan said:
    " Well then I hate to say this but it sounds to me like Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers, and probably a few others really undercharged for their games.  I say this because they had better graphics, as long of a game and as good of gameplay. "
    I agree and also consider Deadly Premonition, a retail budget title released at $19.99 that has caused considerable hype around here with the endurance runs. Also, does anyone remember Rockstar's Table Tennis ? I think that released for $19.99 as well, and for a table tennis fan was great but obviously not a lot of depth - still a quality product. 

Honestly, I say let's not be afraid of $29.99 price point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.